Forced lunches

fishtm2001

In my building it was mandatory to put the time in your board. There were lots who never actually took it. I used to tell them "don't get hurt or have an incident during that time".

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
In my building it was mandatory to put the time in your board. There were lots who never actually took it. I used to tell them "don't get hurt or have an incident during that time".
It shows up in the office computer when deliveries are being made while the driver is coded out to lunch.
The management is complicit in a DOT violation if it is reported to PUCO because they have knowledge of the illegal activity and fail to address the dishonest reporting of on road activity.

The driver may not be held to the mandatory lunch break rule due to the amount of miles they drive (as the crow flies) but they are held to accurate recording of hours of service rules in the ELD.

Sounds like a good whistleblower charge.

Last edited:

Whither

Scofflaw
So if you’re at a pickup can you just sit there wait for it to be over while still being on the clock?

Did it all the time on a 2 trip route I used to cover with sups' blessings. 2nd trip was in a bulk van, heavy pickup run, so they can't really send you to take 20 resis from someone. No better time to study the contract than when you're on the payroll.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
So if you’re at a pickup can you just sit there wait for it to be over while still being on the clock?
Yep. Who sent you there? Do you control the customer's employee schedule and efficiency? Did you get there during the allotted and scheduled time posted in the diad board?

If so, you're good to go.

Btw...
the company does not control the world.
If they try to "force" customer's shipping departments to adhere to ups's schedule they may find out who pays whose bills. Those days are long gone.

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
Lunch break here is between the 3rd and 6th hr of your day per our cba.
There was an unbid route that went out with 450 del pcs/120 del stops + 35 pm pickups. A young driver, tired of Russian roulette coverage, forced them to bid it.
He took his first 10 min break after the 10:30 airs were done, lunch around 12 noon, and the last paid break right before his pick up string started at 15:00.

He needed help every day getting businesses del for a month but his ors couldn't touch his efficiency because he did the job right.

In one month the bulk stops came off, the route went down to about 100 del stops, 280 del pcs, 35 pickups and stayed that way for years.

Not a bonus center fyi but it paid dividends for the driver's health, they finally created a route that made a couple of close proximity routes much better...

all because this guy did it right, every day, and ignored the wind from management along the way to fixing the problem.

God bless the drivers that have spine.

Lol that sounds a lot like what I did on my new route :D Honestly I'm pretty young myself but I don't get how these young guys can blast through their route without taking an hour to refuel and recharge. Nutrition and rest is important. If I gave up my full hour lunch every day I'd be dead within a month. Besides, giving up my lunch for 3 weeks is the equivalent of my utilities bill. Can you really afford it? (I have a young family as well.)

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
Lol that sounds a lot like what I did on my new route :D Honestly I'm pretty young myself but I don't get how these young guys can blast through their route without taking an hour to refuel and recharge. Nutrition and rest is important. If I gave up my full hour lunch every day I'd be dead within a month. Besides, giving up my lunch for 3 weeks is the equivalent of my utilities bill. Can you really afford it? (I have a young family as well.)
You are correct. When I took my whole lunch break at the appropriate time I had a much better PM and my attitude was more positive.
We are not machines.

Lunch or no lunch....I get paid the same.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You are correct. When I took my whole lunch break at the appropriate time I had a much better PM and my attitude was more positive.
We are not machines.

We were required to take 45 but I would have been content with 30. IMO 60 is too long and I would feel sluggish, not refreshed, to finish my day.