Forced lunches

Overpaid Union Thug

It seems if you don’t take a 10-20 min lunch, you’re given 50 extra stops; no matter what route you’re on. They :censored2: you over.
I've seen what happens to the guys who skip their 60 mins. I'm amazed how many stops dispatch tries to stuff into that free hour.
Dispatchers know who the lunch skippers are. Just like they know who the runners are. They are usually, but not always, one in the same. And they are definitely dispatched accordingly.

Taking the full hour is especially important on an all commercial route. If dispatch is used to a lunch skipper on that route then a lunch taker will likely struggle to get deliveries done before pickups start. I’m the first person on my current route that takes a full hour sometime in the middle of the day. Everyone else before me skipped it or waited until after deliveries were done. They’d often have to wait until 1:30 or later to relax and/or eat. Screw that.

Poop Head

Judge me.
We are not machines
FoolishAridBlackbird-size_restricted.gif

Est.1998

We were required to take 45 but I would have been content with 30. IMO 60 is too long and I would feel sluggish, not refreshed, to finish my day.
I break lunch up into four 15 min segments.
10:30am-10:45am
12:00pm-12:15pm
2:00pm-2:15pm
4:00pm-4:15pm
If I'm on an easy route I may take the full hour at one time and knock out a few sets of push ups, chins, and squats or before the pandemic, sit in a restaurant and enjoy a snack or latte.

542thruNthru

We only get 30min. Personally in my opinion 60 would be good and bad in some ways especially as a 9.5 driver.

Though thinking about it most places don't get 2 paid 15 min breaks like we do.

542thruNthru

Dispatchers know who the lunch skippers are. Just like they know who the runners are. They are usually, but not always, one in the same. And they are definitely dispatched accordingly.

Taking the full hour is especially important on an all commercial route. If dispatch is used to a lunch skipper on that route then a lunch taker will likely struggle to get deliveries done before pickups start. I’m the first person on my current route that takes a full hour sometime in the middle of the day. Everyone else before me skipped it or waited until after deliveries were done. They’d often have to wait until 1:30 or later to relax and/or eat. Screw that.

This is absolutely true. We only get 30 min lunch here and when a guy with a industrial route decides to start taking his lunch. Management freaks out!!!

Thats 30 min of less business stops or pick ups you can't do. If we got a hour lunch... lord the my management team might resort to on route BJs!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I break lunch up into four 15 min segments.
10:30am-10:45am
12:00pm-12:15pm
2:00pm-2:15pm
4:00pm-4:15pm
If I'm on an easy route I may take the full hour at one time and knock out a few sets of push ups, chins, and squats or before the pandemic, sit in a restaurant and enjoy a snack or latte.

Unless they have changed the meal/break entries in the DIAD since I left, how are you putting in all 4 of these meals?

Future

Victory Ride
Unless they have changed the meal/break entries in the DIAD since I left, how are you putting in all 4 of these meals?
Haven’t here ... 1 spot for your break ....2 spots for a lunch .... really have been enforcing taking it between the 3rd and 5th hour also .... guess there was a pretty big lawsuit that the company lost ..do 2 lunch skippers etc

Est.1998

Haven’t here ... 1 spot for your break ....2 spots for a lunch .... really have been enforcing taking it between the 3rd and 5th hour also .... guess there was a pretty big lawsuit that the company lost ..do 2 lunch skippers etc
Only time they bring up taking lunch at certain times here is when they ask a driver to help another driver and that driver replies after my lunch.