Forced onto a route I dislike!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Wrong.

I've never been paid mileage for being forced to cover our satellite route, and I've fought it every time. The union justifies accepting it saying the satellite is the work location for that day, not the building. They accept the companies bs on the issue. Seems it affects so few people that it's not worth fighting.

Between the near 90 minute round-trip commute and the first approximately 45 minutes (depending on price of gas) of net pay going directly into the gas tank, I effectively work 2 hours for free, and the union approves. Insane.

​Contract talks are coming up. Maybe you should bring this up.

satellitedriver

Most of what has been posted is true.
A satellite center, be it a one person ,or a multiple driver center, is classified, by UPS, as a center unto itself.
This admission/classification ,by UPS in past grievances, that satellite centers are "a center unto themselves" really opens up a legal and contractual can of worms.
In theory, for the past 17yrs I have been a center manager, with no MIP.
What that admission/classification means, to a non bid, driver forced to drive to another center in his personal vehicle, is that UPS would legally have to pay mileage.
If you bid for the route, you do not have that right.
Conversely, if a non bid driver is forced to drive to a satellite center, and UPS refuses to pay mileage, the driver can claim mileage as a deduction on their income tax.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Most of what has been posted is true.
A satellite center, be it a one person ,or a multiple driver center, is classified, by UPS, as a center unto itself.
This admission/classification ,by UPS in past grievances, that satellite centers are "a center unto themselves" really opens up a legal and contractual can of worms.
In theory, for the past 17yrs I have been a center manager, with no MIP.
What that admission/classification means, to a non bid, driver forced to drive to another center in his personal vehicle, is that UPS would legally have to pay mileage.
If you bid for the route, you do not have that right.
Conversely, if a non bid driver is forced to drive to a satellite center, and UPS refuses to pay mileage, the driver can claim mileage as a deduction on their income tax.

Not where I am from. Our satellite is part of our center. Its drivers are on our seniority list, and can bid back to our building at any time.

menotyou

bella amicizia
What I don't understand is why these people aren't claiming the mileage on their taxes if UPS doesn't pay it? At 55.5 cents a mile this year, it's well worth it. I know, as I get paid mileage to go to therapy, gym, the doctor, the hospital, anything related to my injury. ( I am very careful of what I claim, BTW) Liberty pays upfront, but UPS reimburses.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
Not where I am from. Our satellite is part of our center. Its drivers are on our seniority list, and can bid back to our building at any time.

Same here. The satellite counts in our stops per car and the driver is on our seniority list for the center.

satellitedriver

I also have the right to bid off my route.
No one can bid me off my route, no matter their seniority.
No sane person would even want to bid me off, and take my route.