Forced six days

moflow318

I have worked almost all and getting tired of it, just trying to avoid either with the right answers, the way we help each other on here it’s no wonder there is so much confusion no straight answers ever

542thruNthru

I have worked almost all and getting tired of it, just trying to avoid either with the right answers, the way we help each other on here it’s no wonder there is so much confusion no straight answers ever
The straight answer is work as directed and file a grievance/labor charge.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
What does your supplement say about your work week? Northwest supplement outlines a 5 day work week. M-friend or tues-sat. Now while it doesn’t technically say they can force you in, it doesn’t say that they can’t. I would get the forced in message just about every Friday that start time was 9am for Saturday. I never showed. My work week was mon-fri. They never said anything to me Monday morning.

if they are writing drivers up for not showing up on a forced 6th day, you either have language allowing the company to do that, or there has been a decision made through a past grievance that allows the company to enforce.

Or the company is playing hardball with you guys figuring if they send out discipline it will scare you guys into coming in. Even if the company knows they won’t win a grievance.

Whither

Scofflaw
Others have gotten write ups via next day air sent to home w no verbal or talking

Unfortunately I have no advice re: discipline other than for you all to fight it all the way, and do your own 'homework' as much as possible, especially if your union reps are not reliable ... and also to be prepared to face the consequences if you lose ... though you'd expect mgmt would think long and hard before canning drivers when the operation is already short-staffed.

If the company is serious enough about discipline that they'd let your local operation go down in flames, there may not be much you or the union can do. I wouldn't claim to know. I doubt they are, but if they are and you've decided to fight: your best defense is surely based on safety. Last winter I piped up in a wild safety meeting about forced 6th punches. Several of my yellow-bellied brothers on the safety committee dared to argued that 'fatigue is not an issue if you follow the methods', as expected. It got wild when the division level safety guy (forget his title), the company man, spoke up to fully agree with me. He even admitted that the company's data is clear: working 6 days a week and up to 60 hrs substantially increases employees risks of both getting into accidents and getting injured.

If your jobs are really on the line, and you want to fight rather than cower ... why not blow it as wide open as you can? Get the media involved. Harp on the fact that UPS is putting not just its employees, but also the general public, at great risk because they won't properly staff their operation or else refuse excess volume they can't safely handle. And that this data-obsessed company is well aware that it is doing so. And not only that, but that rather than resolve the problem, company mgmt does its best to convince the employees that they are to blame for all accidents and injuries, not human beings but delivery machines.

Also: would be a great touch for y'all to call the center and demand an on-call pickup to RTS those disciplinary letters.

BrownStains

I don’t think there is much you can do. They did the same to me months ago when the volume shot up and I’m not a rookie but was right on the cusp on the seniority list. Check with your union person if you can file anything. The union will say they can force. Use 8 hour requests or check into some type of intermittent fmla.

Last edited:

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
We have 30 22.4 drivers in our building and they have been building 60 routes for over a year....forcing from the bottom up and many drivers have 20 call ins....no union representation in our building.....any suggestions
tell your boss you’re feeling unsafe and fatigued being forced in 6 days...tell him you’ll probably be getting into a tier 3 accident soon as well.
🧔✊