Forced to help

Dabumrush

I don't mind helping other guys out most of the time, but last Friday I was sent a message via diad to help another driver. I knew there was other drivers with less seniority almost done or already done. I replied on the diad, " say you're forcing me and if not I'm coming in the building. When I got back to the center at 5:48pm the supervisor that sent the message ask if I helped him, I replied no and went home. The supervisor called my Union Stewart and told him they would be walking me off the property Tuesday. BTW one of the less senior drivers is this supervisor nephew and he had been off since 4:45pm without a 8 hour request. Just looking for suggestions on how I should handle this.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Work now, grieve later is a basic thing most drivers should know. You were told to help and didn't, doesn't matter if people with less seniority weren't told first. You have to work as directed and grieve after.

I doubt you will be walked off since your supervisor doesn't have the power to do that, but you need to start working as directed or else they will be able to fire you and it will stick.

Dabumrush

Work now, grieve later is a basic thing most drivers should know. You were told to help and didn't, doesn't matter if people with less seniority weren't told first. You have to work as directed and grieve after.

I doubt you will be walked off since your supervisor doesn't have the power to do that, but you need to start working as directed or else they will be able to fire you and it will stick.

Yes I understand that, but I had helped someone 4 times last week and just felt someone had to stand up to them. I'm a 20 year driver and I'm having to help constantly and I'm sick of it.

542thruNthru

Yes I understand that, but I had helped someone 4 times last week and just felt someone had to stand up to them. I'm a 20 year driver and I'm having to help constantly and I'm sick of it.

Filing a grievance is standing up to them. You shouldn't be walked out but it was not a smart move.

Rack em

Made the Podium
At the time being able

I'm on it
So you're a runner who burns through your route and gets mad when you have to help? There is no way anyone on the 9.5 list is being sent to help 4 times a week if that driver isn't burning up his route. Slow down and do the job per the methods and you wouldn't have to help people.

Dabumrush

So you're a runner who burns through your route and gets mad when you have to help? There is no way anyone on the 9.5 list is being sent to help 4 times a week if that driver isn't burning up his route. Slow down and do the job per the methods and you wouldn't have to help people.
They just pay it out. They have no concerns about 9.5 grievances. Worked over 10 hours everyday last week except Friday.

rod

Retired 22 years
If you are up against a supervisors nephew you'll lose every time. You might make UPS pay for it but in the long run you will lose.

OKLABob

Technically where I’m from they always start at the bottom when it comes to extra work. But no they cannot force you to work when somebody lower seniority is available to work. And if I were you I’d walk in and hand that sup your harassment grievance for messaging you everyday.

Dabumrush

If you are up against a supervisors nephew you'll lose every time. You might make UPS pay for it but in the long run you will lose.
I even replied to send his nephew to help instead of me. I heard them that morning talking about what the Nephew needed to do at the hunt club when he gets off work. Seems like I have a legitimate reason to file on that.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer

agree 100%

WAD and then grieve. you may be in trouble .

rod

Retired 22 years
I even replied to send his nephew to help instead of me. I heard them that morning talking about what the Nephew needed to do at the hunt club when he gets off work. Seems like I have a legitimate reason to file on that.
See what you are up against.