Forgot an OCA

jbomb1010

I carry a Sharpie in my pkg car that is easily reachable. When something comes up or someone calls with something that I need to remember, I write a little reminder on my windshield in front of my face just below eyelevel. Lick your finger, wipe it off, done.... How stupid is this?

Cementups

Box Monkey
Interesting....YOU screwed up and it cost UPS $42. Whenever management screws up, you file a grievance and it cost UPS money. Seems no matter who screws up, it always cost UPS money. That just doesn't seem quite fair to me, but then what do I know, I'm just a retired Manager.

I was completely ready to get pulled into the office this morning for it and take what they wanted to give me but not a word was said..:peaceful:

browniehound

If that one mistake makes you an idiot, then I must be a maroon.
I use the SDN tagging of a pkg near the OCA trick, also.
Great lesson. I bet it will be a long while before you do it again.

Yeah, I'm a maroon too. It looks like all of us drivers have been guilty of this at least once. To rectify the problem, I always check my board before I leave town.

browniehound

I carry a Sharpie in my pkg car that is easily reachable. When something comes up or someone calls with something that I need to remember, I write a little reminder on my windshield in front of my face just below eyelevel. Lick your finger, wipe it off, done.... How stupid is this?

Not stupid. Brilliant in fact! All it takes is a lick of the finger to get it off the windshield?

Good stuff.

rod

Retired 22 years
I once caught a receiving guy at a hospital using an old steel UPS 2-wheeler that had UPS stamped into the frame in 1 inch high letters. He said some driver had left it behind ------------------------------------------------------about 4 years ago. I asked why he hadn't givin it back and he said it was so nice with the fold down extention that he just couldn't part with it. I let him keep it because that was about the time UPS went to using alumimun carts. Turned out to be good for me because after that he would help me unload whenever he could.:peaceful:P.S. The day our center got a bunch of the new aluminun carts management threw away all the old steel ones. I still have one that I rescued from the dumpster. I should of taken a dozen of them as they would of been easy to sell.

browniehound

Interesting....YOU screwed up and it cost UPS $42. Whenever management screws up, you file a grievance and it cost UPS money. Seems no matter who screws up, it always cost UPS money. That just doesn't seem quite fair to me, but then what do I know, I'm just a retired Manager.

All do respect UPS_Vette I see it a different way when you say "management screws up" and I file a grievence. My belief (and experience) is most of the time its not a "mistake" by management but a deliberate violation of the contract with the intent to save money. For an example, telling an unsuspecting air driver to pickup some ground packages.

Yes our driver made a human error by forgeting the OCA resulting in a $42 cost to UPS. It was a simple mistake. If it happens more than 2 times and I think you have a beef.

Yes, we file grievences and it costs the company money. The difference is what you do is deliberate: Supervisors working the sort and preload. Supervisors shuttling misloads to the correct driver. Supervisors telling air drivers to meet the ground driver with his overflow and help him deliver it but DO NOT scan any grounds. Shall I continue?

That $42 is peanuts compared to what UPS saves from the above, so gives us a break:happy2:. All of this in addition to the free labor UPS recieves from "Make sure to enter your 1 hour lunch" knowing some will enter it without talking it. I've NEVER, EVER heard "make sure you take your entire lunch and enter that time in the DIAD"??

I look forward to your reply UPS_Vette,

Brownie:peaceful:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I got an OCA today and forgot to pick it up. Called all my local brethren that may be able to get it and tey wee all almost back to the building. so I had to saddle up and make a 1 hour round trip to go pick it up. easy $42 but still would have rather been on my way home and be able to eat dinner with my family.
:slap:

Summary: I'm an idiot.
Cement, can I join the club? LOL I left the center this morning and completely forgot to check my box for call tags. Got to a regular business del and was asked if I had a call tag for them. I had to call the center and ask if there was a tag in my box. (I bet I looked pretty stupid standing there in front of the mgr) "Oh yes, there is one. Here I will take that for you and it will go out tonite". Actually had 2 tags in the box. It's a good thing the nite sup is easy to get along with. Tomorrow probably won't be that easy, one of the call tags had to have an exc. done on it.:nono2: Thank god tomorrow is 12 hrs away. I will sleep good tonite.

BigBrownSanta

I'm sorry, but after a full day of delivering packages, I'm not licking my finger for any reason.

BTW, Cementups, it sure sucks when the realization hits us that we are all simply human after all.

Idiot, no.

Human, yes.

satellitedriver

I never lick my finger during work.
I know where it has been.

ups_vette

All do respect UPS_Vette I see it a different way when you say "management screws up" and I file a grievence. My belief (and experience) is most of the time its not a "mistake" by management but a deliberate violation of the contract with the intent to save money. For an example, telling an unsuspecting air driver to pickup some ground packages.

Yes our driver made a human error by forgeting the OCA resulting in a $42 cost to UPS. It was a simple mistake. If it happens more than 2 times and I think you have a beef.

Yes, we file grievences and it costs the company money. The difference is what you do is deliberate: Supervisors working the sort and preload. Supervisors shuttling misloads to the correct driver. Supervisors telling air drivers to meet the ground driver with his overflow and help him deliver it but DO NOT scan any grounds. Shall I continue?

That $42 is peanuts compared to what UPS saves from the above, so gives us a break:happy2:. All of this in addition to the free labor UPS recieves from "Make sure to enter your 1 hour lunch" knowing some will enter it without talking it. I've NEVER, EVER heard "make sure you take your entire lunch and enter that time in the DIAD"??

I look forward to your reply UPS_Vette,

Brownie:peaceful:

Brownie.... How do you see it when the driver pads his miles by taking the long way back to the Center, or when the driver takes more than the allowed time for lunch,, or when the driver waits for a signature at a DR stop when a supervisor is with him but he always DRs the stop when alone, or when the driver goes to the wrong delivery point when the supervisor is along for a stop he delivers everyday to the correct delivery point, or when the driver returns to the car from a delivery and opens the bulkhead to check where the next package is located in the car? I could go on with many more examples, but I think you get my drift.

Do you consider those examples "human error" or "deliberate mistakes"? Do you honestly believe that whenever a driver makes a "mistake" it should be counted as "human error"?

That's the difference between you and I, you see every driver mistake as human error and every mistake made by management as deliberate. I, on the other hand, see both sides making human errors and deliberate mistakes on occasion.

As far as the free labor thing, drivers skip their lunch for many reasons, but from my experience getting free labor is never really free. The California class-action lawsuite is proof of that.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

dilligaf, wasn't the call tag in your EDD? If so, just go to that stop, scroll down to that 1Z, hit details, check the last 4 digits, scan it, hit Find BC, and then enter the last four of the 1Z. Of course, the only problem with doing it that way is you have no idea what you are supposed to pickup. Take the pkg and drop the receipt off the following day.

Brownie.... How do you see it when the driver pads his miles by taking the long way back to the Center, or when the driver takes more than the allowed time for lunch,, or when the driver waits for a signature at a DR stop when a supervisor is with him but he always DRs the stop when alone, or when the driver goes to the wrong delivery point when the supervisor is along for a stop he delivers everyday to the correct delivery point, or when the driver returns to the car from a delivery and opens the bulkhead to check where the next package is located in the car? I could go on with many more examples, but I think you get my drift.

I get the drift that the things you just listed above are not "human errors" or simple mistakes, they are done (as you described) on purpose, just as the things listed that grievances are filed over.

Do you consider those examples "human error" or "deliberate mistakes"? Do you honestly believe that whenever a driver makes a "mistake" it should be counted as "human error"?
If anyone makes an honest mistake, yeah it is "human error".

That's the difference between you and I, you see every driver mistake as human error and every mistake made by management as deliberate. I, on the other hand, see both sides making human errors and deliberate mistakes on occasion.
I sure didn't get that out of his post. I'd be willing to bet that Brownie would be the first to say that the intentional "mistake" should not be overlooked.

I see that you are comparing apples to oranges. In the post by Cement he didn't say that he forgot on purpose or just cause he wanted to "pad his miles". He just forgot.

As far as the free labor thing, drivers skip their lunch for many reasons, but from my experience getting free labor is never really free. The California class-action lawsuite is proof of that.
Regardless of the reason, the meals are skipped and the company profits until they get caught. Then free anit free anymore.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
dilligaf, wasn't the call tag in your EDD? If so, just go to that stop, scroll down to that 1Z, hit details, check the last 4 digits, scan it, hit Find BC, and then enter the last four of the 1Z. Of course, the only problem with doing it that way is you have no idea what you are supposed to pickup. Take the pkg and drop the receipt off the following day.

HUH? Guess I haven't been educated on EDD yet. LOL non-pas system, here.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Our call tags are put in our diad slot in the A.M. Then we have to sign a log that we have them. If we forget to sign we get a message asking if we have so and so call tag. Our customers even get a phone call telling them the driver will be there today with a call tag to pick up so and so package. I give credit, usually works pretty slick. Is this the norm?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Our call tags are put in a differen box and we do not get an ODS on so and so call tag. But we do have to send an ods on completed call tags. ASSUMING , that we remember to get our call tags!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL