Friday July 3rd

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
On Christmas Eve, just like the day after Thanksgiving, the majority of the businesses were open. Short staffed, but still open.

The nation does not celebrate a holiday on Christmas Eve or the day after Thanksgiving. But the nation and most businesses will celebrate the 4th of July holiday by giving their employees Friday off in honor of the holiday that falls on Saturday.

Not UPS though.

Oh, and by the way, there will be no feeder runs or night sorts on Friday because, guess what, there will be no businesses open for pickups.

If UPS wants to deliver on the day that the nation will recognize the day off for the holiday, fine. But UPS will only be delivering residential. All the other employees of businesses will be home with their families.

Except for the retail stores, that are open on the holidays anyway. I would venture to say, though, that most of these stores will not be accepting deliveries on the 3rd anyway.

If every employee requested their 8 hour guarantee, UPS could chalk up another $100M loss. Add this to the $150M loss the day after Thanksgiving and UPS just :censored2: away a quarter of a billion dollars.

Almost as bad as ORION.
If you are laid of for the day you can't request 8 hours. If people that work all request 8 hours, even more will be laid off. Not gonna cost 100 million.

oldupsman

UPS always worked that day. So does most everybody else. There will be very
few closings that day. Sort of like Christmas on a Sunday. You get Monday off for
Christmas but nobody gets Fri off for Christmas Eve.

rod

Retired 22 years
In what BOG do business close on July 3? Its just another day. When did people start expecting 2 and 3 paid days off for every holiday?

oldngray

nowhere special
In what BOG do business close on July 3? Its just another day. When did people start expecting 2 and 3 paid days off for every holiday?

I had a mostly heavy manufacturing route and those companies would close on Friday if a holiday fell on Saturday. Their employees did expect a day off and none of those places would pay them for an extra day with no day off. Retail businesses would be open as usual though.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
If you are laid of for the day you can't request 8 hours. If people that work all request 8 hours, even more will be laid off. Not gonna cost 100 million.
In the Central, the top 90% of drivers put to work on Monday of the week are guaranteed 40 hours straight time.

They can only lay off 10% with no guarantee of 8 hours for the day.

Almost every driver on the road getting paid for 8 hours and each only has about 3 hours of work to do...you do the math.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Wait and see. 99% of the businesses will be closed on July 3, except for retail. They never close on a holiday anyway.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I think your figure is off by about 90%
The government is shut down July 3.

http://www.archives.gov/news/federal-holidays.html

And it officially observed on July 3.

http://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/us/independence-day

We are working Friday and getting paid for Saturday. Most businesses will be closed Friday and get paid for that day for the holiday.

There are a lot of businesses that really cannot afford to pay their employees an extra day like UPS is going to do.

I stand by my 99%.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

A lot of businesses that are supposedly open will be only skeleton crews and many will close early.

The company my son works for will give all salary and most hourly the day off with pay. There will be a few hourlies working who will most likely leave early that day.

The hard part is trying to take care of those customers who you know are closing early that day.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
The company my son works for will give all salary and most hourly the day off with pay. There will be a few hourlies working who will most likely leave early that day.

The hard part is trying to take care of those customers who you know are closing early that day.
Now that I drive 200 plus miles, if you close early it's on you.

PT Car Washer

If the business closes early that pretty much solves the problem of making service.