From The Chairman: Transition to Ground

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Fred gave you the answer and you've decided The Weasel is wrong, about Amazon at least. As far as the RLA going away, it should because of the reasons previously stated. Once again, "contracting" with your own opco (Ground) to handle freight tendered as "Express" violates the criteria. Once a package passes out of the hands of an RLA-covered employee, it is NLRA territory.

Let's wait and see how the courts decide, which would be interesting with a Republican administration, Republican NLRB, and GOP Senate. Trump will be gone next year, and the case won't probably even be filed until then, for the above reasons. Fred knows that now is a very good time to pull a corporate flim-flam job, with the biggest com man ever in the White House.

A Democratic administration would change the Labor Board, and presumably create a playing field more amenable to the working hourly, and not FDX, the corporation.

I know you believe it's settled and legal, but it's a scam. You know it, but you're paid to believe and spread lies. Trump doesn't have much on you, pal.

It's amazing how you were so eager to scream and rage about with absolute certainty that you were 100% right until confronted with the proposal to debate the issue based on how much it does/doesn't fall within the requirements set forth by the National Mediation Board, who handles these issues. At that point, you change your tune to "let's wait and see how the courts decide."

You tapped out (again) because you still have no balls and I accept your concession.

Please explain to us all the origins of The Express Carrier Exemption, and why FedEx Express is (incorrectly) classified under the RLA.

Express is properly classified because it meets all of the NMB RLA criteria and I accept your concession.

I left for greener pastures. So if you call moving out and up "selling out", so be it.

You sold out by looking the other way. No balls.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
It's amazing how you were so eager to scream and rage about with absolute certainty that you were 100% right until confronted with the proposal to debate the issue based on how much it does/doesn't fall within the requirements set forth by the National Mediation Board, who handles these issues. At that point, you change your tune to "let's wait and see how the courts decide."

You tapped out (again) because you still have no balls and I accept your concession.

Express is properly classified because it meets all of the NMB RLA criteria and I accept your concession.

You sold out by looking the other way. No balls.

Just what I'd expect from a company spokesperson. I revealed what I could and still stay employed.

I fully realize that ethics and morality aren't something you worry about.

59 Dano

Just what I'd expect from a company spokesperson. I revealed what I could and still stay employed.

I fully realize that ethics and morality aren't something you worry about.

"I'm so concerned about morality and ethics I let countless people get screwed and did nothing about it."

That aside, which test applied by the NMB to RLA cases do you think Express would have the most trouble passing?

59 Dano

That aside, which test applied by the NMB to RLA cases do you think Express would have the most trouble passing?

I'll go first with the easiest test to pass: the RLA applies to employees of air carriers.

ahem

I believe FedEx Express would pass that test because it is an air carrier. This concludes my portion of this part of the debate.

Thank you.

MAKAVELI

I'll go first with the easiest test to pass: the RLA applies to employees of air carriers.

ahem

I believe FedEx Express would pass that test because it is an air carrier. This concludes my portion of this part of the debate.

Thank you.
DGO is the group of employees that could be clearly classified as NLRA.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

ahem

Thank you.

Ahem. UPS is also an air carrier, with nearly as many aircraft as FedEx. I believe UPS should therefore be RLA using your infallible "logic". Why don't they have an RLA Express Carrier Exemption?

You're too easy. You lose the debate before it starts.

vantexan

Ahem. UPS is also an air carrier, with nearly as many aircraft as FedEx. I believe UPS should therefore be RLA using your infallible "logic". Why don't they have an RLA Express Carrier Exemption?

But most of their freight is trucked. And most of their aircraft are smaller.

59 Dano

LOL, you poor thing.

UPS Co. is covered by the RLA. The UPS ground guys are employed by UPS, Inc. Since you brought it up, UPS sought to have the ground drivers shifted to RLA coverage. That attempt was denied because UPS Inc. does not exist for the principle purpose of serving UPS Co.

Guess which package delivery company's truck drivers exist for the sole purpose of serving FedEx Exprss.

This is like the Titans vs the Ravens in the playoffs this year. You're all "We're just gonna let Lamar Jackson run all over you" and I'm all "Dude, we're gonna make Lamar play QB."

One of us is all "Using this logic or that logic then something something irrelevant" and the other (me, btw) is all "Here are the facts."

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
LOL, you poor thing.

UPS Co. is covered by the RLA. The UPS ground guys are employed by UPS, Inc. Since you brought it up, UPS sought to have the ground drivers shifted to RLA coverage. That attempt was denied because UPS Inc. does not exist for the principle purpose of serving UPS Co.

Guess which package delivery company's truck drivers exist for the sole purpose of serving FedEx Exprss.

This is like the Titans vs the Ravens in the playoffs this year. You're all "We're just gonna let Lamar Jackson run all over you" and I'm all "Dude, we're gonna make Lamar play QB."

One of us is all "Using this logic or that logic then something something irrelevant" and the other (me, btw) is all "Here are the facts."

Oh, like FedEx Ground does not exist for the principal purpose of serving FedEx Express now?

Why does Fred get an exemption and UPS does not? This goes back to the initial FACT that FedEx Express is using it's own Ground opco to deliver Express freight. UPS Brown drivers deliver NDA, but are Teamsters covered by the NLRA. Do you see the problem here, Einstein?

Set the trap, place the bait, and wait for the shill to bite.

Last edited:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
But most of their freight is trucked. And most of their aircraft are smaller.

NDA can't be trucked unless it's within a certain radius which allows service to be performed. Fleet size is irrelevant to the argument, sir, and FedEx Express trucks every bit of freight it can.

Please cite your source stating that "most of their freight is trucked".

vantexan

NDA can't be trucked unless it's within a certain radius which allows service to be performed. Fleet size is irrelevant to the argument, sir, and FedEx Express trucks every bit of freight it can.

Please cite your source stating that "most of their freight is trucked".
Seriously? FedEx has what? 60%+ of the NDA market? And that was back when there were more competitors. Since UPS delivers more packages than FedEx by a wide margin daily how can the bulk of their packages not be trucked? Magic carpet? Do you know why there was a Railroad Labor Act passed? At that time the movement of freight was primarily by train. Wildcat strikes were greatly harming the system. The RLA was put in place to protect the integrity of the freight system because it was too important to national security. Because FedEx primarily transported time sensitive packages it was deemed also necessary to place it under the RLA. Of course Fred lobbied for that to protect his bottom line and he certainly abused the privilege. But you get caught up in the weeds of how freight is transported and by whom and does that disqualify FedEx from being under the RLA? But that's not the point of the RLA and FedEx can do things like letting contractors deliver freight because the importance of getting time sensitive freight delivered meets the RLA standard. And as long as lobbied Congressmen are satisfied it meets that standard, with nice campaign contributions to boot, nothing is going to change. It's how business gets done, and it's not a matter of shilling for a company, it's just the reality. Grow up already.

bacha29

The current legislation will remain in place for the time being given that we are operating under a state of emergency. The question is what additional powers if any will be granted to carriers and how will they use them? Given the highly competitive nature of the business flagrant manipulation and abuse of those powers in order to gain a competitive advantage on the part of X could weaken it's ability to preserve that exemption in the future.
Fat Freddy's money will only buy him a limited amount of favorable treatment and only for a limited amount of time.

vantexan

The current legislation will remain in place for the time being given that we are operating under a state of emergency. The question is what additional powers if any will be granted to carriers and how will they use them? Given the highly competitive nature of the business flagrant manipulation and abuse of those powers in order to gain a competitive advantage on the part of X could weaken it's ability to preserve that exemption in the future.
Fat Freddy's money will only buy him a limited amount of favorable treatment and only for a limited amount of time.
Yah, it's only been decades now.