FT driver back to preload question

Duckydad

So I am Driver 26 of 27 at my center. And naturally after peak we are running really light and have 7 or 8 guys on call now and I have been off more than 10 days so I worked preload last week (I only have enough seniority to displace one shift, night shift all has more seniority than I do, so I get 17.5 hours a week), but last night they text me to call at 4:30 AM and the SUP said they had no work for me this morning, I asked if I was driving and he said he doesn't know I should call the on road sup, of course he doesn't answer at 4:30 AM. If I call at 7 for driving and end up not working, am I just SOL for the day?

Duckydad

No. I get a few hundred more a week if i wait until April to file. And probably won't drive consistently until September.

So if I am on call call for driving, they don't have to let me work preload? Even if I am 7th on the list with literally no chance of work? I mean yes, it is possible, but highly unlikely.

542thruNthru

I'm confused. You are a full time employee and you have less seniority than PT employees? I don't know where you are but in the west every FT is automatically higher than a PT. When the recession hit everyone found that out pretty quick.

Box Ox

'm confused. You are a full time employee and you have less seniority than PT employees? I don't know where you are but in the west every FT is automatically higher than a PT.

For the Atlantic Area, our Supplement says:

After a one (1) day layoff, full-time seniority employees who may be subject to layoff may in the order of their seniority elect to take the work of part-time employees, if any, for the duration of the layoff provided the full-time employee has more Company seniority than the part-time employee being displaced

Guess it varies!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm confused. You are a full time employee and you have less seniority than PT employees? I don't know where you are but in the west every FT is automatically higher than a PT. When the recession hit everyone found that out pretty quick.

Classification and company seniority are not necessarily one in the same.

I have more FT seniority than 2 drivers who have more company seniority. They were working PT before I was hired off the street.

Duckydad

Yes, some of the preloaders have been there longer then me, and two of the drivers that have gone back to preload (for lack of work) also have more company seniority than me. But the preload sup decided to not use the drivers that have gone back to preload (4 of us) and use what he called "his guys" that have less company seniority then we do (we only use 11-12 people for our preload shift). So we were going to file a grievance for them working over us, but I got called in to drive at 915, and worked til 1930. So I didn't talk to our shop steward about that today.

We all worked preload this morning too. Our district manager had a nice phone call with the preload sup, which, we found out today, is now training his replacement.

Overpaid Union Thug

So glad my supplement (Southern) guarantees us 8 hours during layoffs. Company seniority applies when we start bumping part-timers though. I can't bump a 30 year part-timer off of their SPA label job just because I'm full-time.