Ft working Saturdays

By The Book

Is it considered a 6th day punch this week considering most people had Thursday and Friday off for the holiday?
There's language that talks about working on a Saturday if your on a m-friend schedule. Also if your over 40 hours for the week, it could be o/t. An example wold be working m-t and having over 8 hours overtime thru Thursday.

PT Car Washer

You work Saturdays before anyone in your building right? would these full time drivers be getting overtime because it's a 6th punch?
Yes I work before the FT drivers. Not their 6th punch because they took an unpaid day off during the week. This is not a Holiday issue but an all year long issue.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Saturday air is classified as PT work, as such is out of FT classification, the same as if you tried to use seniority to work preload as a FT driver. The proper way to fill Saturday is ask qualified pt (Saturday air sheet) ask FT, force PT qualified, force FT. Think of it like New Year's Eve in that respect. As a FT driver you a guaranteed the right to work 40, passing on your regularly scheduled day doesn't give you rights to make that day up on Saturday. Ask me how I know and I'll show you a grievance the size of some of your weekly checks.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Do they not use the part time Saturday air drivers because of this?
The problem is getting those drivers to come in. In our area the same PT cover drivers that are qualified to do Sat air work M-friend filling in, making ground rate. As a FT you get paid your regular rate, PT cover drivers get air pay only and is less attractive than working during the week.

35years

Gravy route
Saturday air is classified as PT work, as such is out of FT classification, the same as if you tried to use seniority to work preload as a FT driver. The proper way to fill Saturday is ask qualified pt (Saturday air sheet) ask FT, force PT qualified, force FT. Think of it like New Year's Eve in that respect. As a FT driver you a guaranteed the right to work 40, passing on your regularly scheduled day doesn't give you rights to make that day up on Saturday. Ask me how I know and I'll show you a grievance the size of some of your weekly checks.
Ask qualified PT
Ask FT with 4 or less days worked
Ask FT with 5 days worked
Force PT qualified
Force FT with 4 or less days worked
Force FT with 5 days worked

One of the problems is...which facility do you pull (ask) the FT from?
We have several bldgs and 1 airport.

Ft can demand to punch in at their own building.

When this happens in one building they ask FT drivers from a different building to work from the airport. To catch management doing this requires someone to monitor the people working out of the airport on Saturday, or a random driver being spotted and talked to delivering on Saturday.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
It doesn't matter if the the FT has 4 days clocked in if their regular scheduled day was offered but the employee elected to not work it. This doesn't allow a junior driver the right to work before a senior one because he elected to go home or call out on his scheduled shift.

35years

Gravy route
It doesn't matter if the the FT has 4 days clocked in if their regular scheduled day was offered but the employee elected to not work it. This doesn't allow a junior driver the right to work before a senior one because he elected to go home or call out on his scheduled shift.
I wish that was true.
Not true around here.
I'm in the Central region.
I have gone over this with the BA.
Works the same as forcing on Saturday...
Drivers with less than 5 days worked are asked before those with 5 days in.
And we only get time and 1/2 for 6th punch (no Saturday language), so some of the morons take a day off and then volunteer for Saturday at straight time.

Last edited:

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I wish that was true.
Not true around here.
Drivers with less than 5 days worked are asked and/or forced before those with 5 days in.
I've won over 1.3k in grievances in this exact issue in the Southern, not even sure this is a Supplment issue as I explained before Saturday is a PT classification, "forcing" FT to get their "5th day" before taking volunteers seems ridiculous. I'd challenge that BA and demand to send that grievance to panel.

35years

Gravy route
I've won over 1.3k in grievances in this exact issue in the Southern, not even sure this is a Supplment issue as I explained before Saturday is a PT classification, "forcing" FT to get their "5th day" before taking volunteers seems ridiculous. I'd challenge that BA and demand to send that grievance to panel.
They don't force FT drivers who worked 4 days before asking 5 day drivers.
They ask 4 day drivers, then 5 day drivers.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I wish that was true.
Not true around here.
Drivers with less than 5 days worked are asked before those with 5 days in.
And we only get time and 1/2 for 6th punch (no Saturday language), so some of the morons take a day off and then volunteer for Saturday at straight time.
Your BA is wrong. I'm in the central and have seen grievances won on this issue.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
They don't force FT drivers who worked 4 days before asking 5 day drivers.
They ask 4 day drivers then 5 day drivers.
Again, those 4 day drivers choice to not work on a scheduled day doesn't allow them to circumvent the seniority system. Seniority prevails when it comes to the right to work, whether it's Saturday or Wendsday, both drivers being in equal classification.

35years

Gravy route
Again, those 4 day drivers choice to not work on a scheduled day doesn't allow them to circumvent the seniority system. Seniority prevails when it comes to the right to work, whether it's Saturday or Wendsday, both drivers being in equal classification.
If UPS is forcing work on a Saturday our drivers with less than 5 days worked are forced before those with 5 days worked.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I could make some money if that is true.
Demand for it to go to panel and you will, this is a very simple and easy case. I even outlined on how to word it in such a manner that he can't dispute. Ask him this, if a driver calls out Monday and Friday is holiday pay, does he get seniority to work on the day that pays a premium over a senior driver? /Boggle