Ft working Saturdays

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
So if I filed, it would be not only the 4 shift FT drivers but also any PT qualfied who were forced?
What would be the time period I could file for? This has been the practice since day 1
You have 5 working days for non discipline, 10 otherwise. Yes, it's ask ask force force, based on the day's classification is what class would be forced/asked. If an air driver signs up for Saturday for the month, they can force him before asking as he's signed up and qualified, technically it's his shift. Now if he says I "can't make it tomorrow" he's still being forced to be there but he's basically booking off. We have PT cover drivers who basically work M-friend to cover vacations and call outs, so your supplement my differ on who they can force.

To give you an example, the aforementioned PT cover drivers can work 5 days during the week and get 8hrs a day, and have seniority to work the 6th day(Saturday air) before a FT driver, as that's their classification shift. Much like during the week it goes the opposite.

35years

Gravy route
Thanks for all the advice.
I will be talking to my BA again.
I have a good working relationship with him, so I would hesitate to go against his advice. (pick your battles)

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Thanks for all the advice.
I will be talking to my BA again.
I have a good working relationship with him, so I would hesitate to go against his advice. (pick your battles)
I think that would be a good idea. Depending on how far you want to take it and how the BA reacts would be a deciding factor if I went above his head. I personally want to work it, not just create a stink, I assume you'd like to actually exercise your rights to work if the opportunity presented itself?

35years

Gravy route
Yep, I would work it.
I did so on a regular basis years ago before they gave Monday early AMs to the regular drivers so they could work the PT Tuesday-Saturday.

UPSGUY72

It's supposed to but when we have a no call/no show on a Saturday there is no time to go through the seniority list. Mine is one of the first numbers they call.

If a person that signed the list does a no call no show in my they aren't allowed to sign the list again for a year.

Also is they need more drivers they need to call the people that singed the list but did get picked first and in order of seniority...

Last edited:

alwaysRTS

Shop Steward
In this area if they use a full time package driver on a Saturday they'll fill that driver's day with pick ups at UPS stores after making nda deliveries.

Mst3k

ARTICLE 40. AIR OPERATION Preamble

In order for the Employer, the Union and the employees to further ben- efit from the expanding air operations, the following Sections shall supersede language on the same subjects in the Supplements, Riders and Addenda, unless specifically stated otherwise in this Article.

(k) Saturday or Sunday Air Work

(1) To perform Saturday or Sunday air work the Employer and the Union recognize the need for air drivers other than those regularly scheduled. Qualified part-time employees who are interested in per- forming this work will so notify the Employer, be certified and be placed in seniority order on a posted qualified air driver list. Such work will be first offered in seniority order to employees on the qualified list who have not worked more than thirty-seven (37) hours in the current week. This work shall then be offered in sen- iority order to qualified part-time employees regardless of hours worked. If the scheduling needs still cannot be met, and additional employees are needed, the Employer may force qualified part-time employees in reverse seniority order.

DOK

I think here they have to offer the work to PT air air drivers first, then all other PTers, then they can offer to FT ground drivers. They force the PTers first too.

Which begs the question......why, with us being union, couldn't the fulltimers chose to work Saturdays?