Fuel Spills

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by just chillin', May 12, 2019.

1. just chillin'

just chillin' Rest in peace wooba

this is now a monthly occurrence it seems in my building. driver forgets to cap after fueling and spills gallons of diesel fuel in a trail as he leaves pumps and enters building and parks. my shift and job coincides with returning drivers everyday so i am witness to it all the time. i was wondering what good ideas can be implemented to combat this. other than signs at the pumps and maybe stickers by the fuel cap on the side of the truck? i was wondering the cost and effectiveness of installing self sealing fuel caps on the whole fleet

2. Operational needs

Operational needs Virescit Vulnere Virtus

Jersey?

3. Johney

Johney Well-Known Member

How about doing a proper pretrip or postrip? Pretty sure checking the fuel cap is in there somewhere.

4. GenericUsername

GenericUsername Active Member

Or how about the driver not fueling his own car and let the people who fill the cars and park them do their jobs?

5. 1BROWNWRENCH

1BROWNWRENCH Amatuer Malthusian

Tons of fun. You have to act fast when that happens or it's literally everywhere inside the building. Diesel on smooth concrete makes for a stinky skating rink.

6. 1BROWNWRENCH

The whole situation is hard to prevent of control when there are no fuel stations on site.

7. govols019

govols019 You smell that?

Not all locations have people to fuel package cars.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  8. WTFm8

WTFm8 Active Member

Drivers fill their own... company card with truck # in almost every truck... till they get lost and twice a year we hand them in to be ‘inventoried’ and missing ones canceled/replaced.

9. MECH-lift

MECH-lift Union Brother

drivers get gas? not so sure about that , every time I’m in a new truck it’s always on E cause the runners cant take 3 min to fuel up ..

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Johney

Johney Well-Known Member

Drivers don't fuel here, so when you leave to go on road a proper pretrip should catch this issue.

11. JustDeliverIt

JustDeliverIt Active Member

We fuel our own trucks and park them every day. It would be nice if we had a valet service.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. bbsam

bbsam Moderator Staff Member

I hardly think it’s “gallons of fuel”.

Liquid on concrete looks like far more than it is.

Just sayin’.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. PappyLand

PappyLand Active Member

Not my truck, not my problem

14. WTFm8

WTFm8 Active Member

... nah, gallons. I did it once. Lost 20% of fuel in 5 miles. Fuel on right side plus left hand turns, it comes out QUICK. Bottom 3’ of side of truck was coated. Nobody passed me on the highway.

15. 1BROWNWRENCH

This is why you need to be cautious on a MC near truck stops. Especially at the freeway on ramp and in the rain. Very slippery.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  16. Siveriano

Siveriano Active Member

we have carwash people at our building then only thing they good at is, putting the camera volume down and leaving their trash in my truck.

17. turq

turq Member

The original post said from the pumps to inside the building

More like a cup than gallons....unless he 's some sort of maniac stunt driver, who spins donuts and does 50mph on the way to park.

18. Jackburton

Jackburton Gone Fish'n

I’d just be happy with these guys not ripping off the pump handles by driving off with them still connected with the truck

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  19. just chillin'

just chillin' Rest in peace wooba

8 to 12 inch solid streak of fuel for a few hundred yards. takes the dmp guy a few hours and multiple bags of speedy dry. take two or three one gallon milk jugs full of diesel and see how far ya get spilling it out

20. 35years

35years Well-Known Member

These spills cost time and are hazardous...

Possible solution?

Diad prompt when entering #of gallons...

Did you replace fuel cap? Y OR N