Full time and Divorce

oldngray

nowhere special
My sister is an RN. She has MS and couldn't handle the physical demands of the job so had to find work elsewhere. My wife was also an RN and while she was physically capable eventually the stress got to her so she switched to a lower paying less stressful job. I think the average time for a nurse to burn out is about 10 years.

Last edited:

UPSER110

My sister is an RN. She has MS and couldn't handle the physical demands of the job so had to find work elsewhere. My wife was also an RN and while she was physically capable eventually the stress got to her so she switched to a lower paying less stressful job. I think the average time for a nurse to burn out is about 10 years.

I understand that she was in a stressful physical demanding job, but all she does now is call people before they come in for surgery. low stress no physical demands.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Yeah I have a hard time paying anyone to do work I (we) are fully capable of doing.

You have to stop looking at it like that, and instead look at it as, what's more important. Stress is a proven killer. Everyone needs down time to de-stress. If you pay someone to do those things, that allows you time to enjoy the fruits of your hard-earned labor. It doesn't make you a slacker or lazy. It's just a trade-off.

trickpony1

I understand that she was in a stressful physical demanding job, but all she does now is call people before they come in for surgery. low stress no physical demands.

Have you considered that maybe your wife "messed up" bad enough (use your imagination) that the hospital doesn't want her dealing with patients anymore and she doesn't know how to tell you?

There are several scenarios that could have occurred.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
She hardly cooks, and I knew that when we got married, but I enjoy cooking its just hard to do getting home from work after 8. We both clean, I am way more anal about it than her, and most of the time we grocery shop together. I take care of the cars, yard, do most all of my laundry. Its hard coming home from work and she is sitting on the couch and doesn't even acknowledge me walking in the door. We have a dog and most of the time I think to myself just run the vacuum and clean up the dog hair.

I am just curious why you reached out to this board for "reasonable" advice?? But I am going to give you my two cents since you asked for it...

Your situation can be handled in many ways, and interpreted in many ways. In your case, you have already answered your own question.

"Its hard coming home from work and she is sitting on the couch and doesn't even acknowledge me walking in the door"

As a veteran driver who has seen this scenario before amongst my younger drivers, It really time to DIVEST yourself of this woman.

You have to look at it differently than a relationship, mainly cause you dont have one. If you have this many questions at this stage, then you are missing something.

That something? Probably an affair. I have seen this a million times. Same circumstances, same behaviors.

You have to look at this in a financial sense. The longer you are married to this person, the more you will OWE her when it finally falls apart and she leaves you for the cute doctor at work.

Depending on your state, you could be on the hook for a large portion of money if you stay 10 or more years. In california, you would only be on the hook for 1/2 time for less than 10 years.

Do yourself a favor and DONT have any kids, this would ruin your life and not improve it. The last thing you want to do is bring a child into the middle of conflict and separation. Kids dont fix anything.

If your wife isnt in to you, which by your description, she isnt, then its time to call it quits. You both live in different worlds, and no matter what you do to try and merge those lives together, it will never connect.

If you are living a life where you feel like a room mate instead of a husband, then what more is there to discuss?

Get out while it will cost you less. The longer you stay, the more you will pay for that decision.

"She hardly cooks, and I knew that when we got married"

I am sure you knew a lot more about her than you are revealing but were willing to look the other way just to make it happen, a mistake a lot of men make.

"HA I have no life right now."

All the more reason to get out of this life and find a new life with someone who will respect you, honor you and live alongside you as a partner.

"Shes goes out shopping and to eat with friends and I come home make dinner and go to bed"

This is the behavior of a person who is building a wall between herself and her marriage. It will only be a matter of time before that wall is high enough to block you out completely and the fighting will start, the name calling will get worse and you will spend each day scratching your head and asking yourself when this marriage fell off the tracks.

But what you should know, is that the train has already derailed.

It really doesnt matter what she doesnt like about you or your job. If she isnt "in" to you, then nothing else matters, as you will never change that.

Remember, she works around doctors and nurses and other people in her industry, while you work for a truck driving company.

You and I realize how hard you work, and what you go through, but she will never look at it that way. Her world may have taken over her life and your life may seem a little "crappy" to her.

"We have considered it but both agreed counseling wouldnt help. We do communicate really so that was a plus. "

This speaks volumes. There is no PLUS in hearing that counseling wouldnt help.

Seeing this kind of situation a dozen times before, maybe you should consider that she only needed a lilypad to get through schooling before she LEAPED out of the marriage once she was rolling on her own.

In reality, your job has nothing to do with your situation. This has to do with her and her mindset.

"For the past year or so my wife and I have been having alot of issues and divorce has been brought up several times"

At times, marriages start to unwind. One piece at a time, one excuse after another. Your situation is not unique at all. You may have gone into this marriage willing to work hard ( and by your description, you have) and with a good attitude, but your wife may have done the same, but something changed and if the conversations filter down to bringing divorce into that conversation, then there is something else interfering in your marriage.

If you were my friend, I would tell you honestly that is more likely that she is having an affair and all this conflict is simply your wife trying to clear her conscience by bringing conflict into your daily life so she doesnt feel bad when she is spending time with the affair.

I guarantee you, that it is she that brings up divorce long before you do.

It sounds like you are searching for answers and solutions rather than reasons to hit the front door and I am sure she is looking for excuses to not address any issues.

Just remember, you will never really find all the answers you are seeking and hanging on to a dream that isnt her dream will only cost you a ton of money. The more you make the more you will owe HER.

Think about it financially before you try to work around her excuses. Living a life where you stare at the front door is no way to live. The stress isnt worth it.

MAIN SOURCE: Looking at the front door
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kokGh5XWQ8U

TOS.

trickpony1

I "undid" my "like" rating for TOS's post.

I was really agreeing with what he posted up until the link that took me to a crotch-grabbing rapper whom I really couldn't understand.

It's the thought that counts though.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I "undid" my "like" rating for TOS's post.

I was really agreeing with what he posted up until the link that took me to a crotch-grabbing rapper whom I really couldn't understand.

It's the thought that counts though.

It was a metaphor for looking at the front door and being confused.

TOS.

nystripe96

I never let work related issues interfere with my marriage. My wife teaches nursery makes 1/3rd the salary I do & gets home 430 everyday. All that being said, I honestly don't care. I love her for who she is, not what she does for a living. Just like she can't grasp the life of a upser, I'm sure controlling snotty crying 3&4 year olds everyday isn't easy

For the past year or so my wife and I have been having alot of issues and divorce has been brought up several times. It really got me thinking. We got married when I was part time. At that time I was del. sat air and working mowing grass during the day. She is an RN working 12hr shifts 3 days a week. So we were both working alot.

A couple of years go by and I go full time. Shes on my insurance and finds out she can go "part time" while getting an $8hr raise for dropping her insurance and paid time off. She starts to see how much money I am bringing in and looks for a new "part time" job at the hospital so now she basically picks her own schedule and works 3-4 8hr shifts.

For some reason is has bothered me that I work 50+ hrs a week and she only works 24-32. (I worked 1000 hours more than her last year) I feel that her share around the house is slacking and I never get to relax because of things that need to do around the house. Mind you we have no kids.

What it comes down to is that she will never understand what UPSers go through. The hours, weather, crazy drivers, physical labor, and the mental struggle can take a toll on a person and marriage.
Marriage used to be for better or worse. If you love her focus on her positives. There is no one that is all positives. Plus you are a man. Working 50 hours a week sucks but you need to man up.

Plus I've always worked more around the house and worked 55 hours plus my side gig than my wife. She will never understand what I go through but I told God I'd watch over her. As long as she remains faithful it's the good with the bad.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Marriage used to be for better or worse. If you love her focus on her positives. There is no one that is all positives. Plus you are a man. Working 50 hours a week sucks but you need to man up.

Too bad this logic will end up costing him 1500 a month in alimony and if he's dumb enough to pro create with her, another 1000 a month in child support.

Thats 2500 a month for loving her positives.

TOS.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
For the past year or so my wife and I have been having alot of issues and divorce has been brought up several times. It really got me thinking. We got married when I was part time. At that time I was del. sat air and working mowing grass during the day. She is an RN working 12hr shifts 3 days a week. So we were both working alot.

A couple of years go by and I go full time. Shes on my insurance and finds out she can go "part time" while getting an $8hr raise for dropping her insurance and paid time off. She starts to see how much money I am bringing in and looks for a new "part time" job at the hospital so now she basically picks her own schedule and works 3-4 8hr shifts.

For some reason is has bothered me that I work 50+ hrs a week and she only works 24-32. (I worked 1000 hours more than her last year) I feel that her share around the house is slacking and I never get to relax because of things that need to do around the house. Mind you we have no kids.

What it comes down to is that she will never understand what UPSers go through. The hours, weather, crazy drivers, physical labor, and the mental struggle can take a toll on a person and marriage.
Sounds like you're kind of jealous of her Cush job. What's stopping you from going to school to be an RN also?

UPSER110

I am just curious why you reached out to this board for "reasonable" advice?? But I am going to give you my two cents since you asked for it...

Your situation can be handled in many ways, and interpreted in many ways. In your case, you have already answered your own question.

TOS.

I really appreciate the advice! I'm not sure why I came on her looking for advice. I guess its because I know there are people that do this job that have been divorced.

Mechanic86

Turd Polishing Expert
There's way too many good women out there to put up with that kind of nonsense. Marriage is 50/50, too many people settle because they're afraid to be alone or just really dislike being alone. You should talk to her about it and tell her how you feel, the "who works more hours" thing is kind of being anal in my opinion but I do think if the house is dirty and someone is at home while the other is at work then the one that's home relaxing can clean up a bit. My wife works part time and I work full-time, we have our problems here and there but very rarely because we talk a lot and hang out with each other a lot on our down time. We both cook, we both clean, and we both watch the baby. She might clean a little more often but I almost always have a meal ready for her when she walks through the door from work and I am always acknowledged when I come home even if its late. If your being treated like crap and can't fix it, move on especially before kids!

UPSER110

I hear ya. I try to focus on the positives. I come from more of and old fashioned family and my parents worked it out for 35+ year. I dont want to give up or quit but I cant live like this. And I am a man, I work my butt off, save money, and plan for retirement. I'm not complaining about the job, I enjoy my job.

tapatio75

I just got married, and she knew I work long hours, she is fine with it, she works 8 hours a day, and has ebough time to do the chores and cooking

She said she will take care of me, as long as I dont make a mess, thats the way she is, and Im grateful for it. Of course Im going to help her around since I didnt marry a maid, and now she is expecting our first baby so chnges are coming