Full time and Divorce

Run. If she doesn't acknowledge you when you get home, she doesn't love you.

Even when my wife is furious at me for doing something stupid, she still comes to the door and gives me a hug and kiss when I get home.

Rainman

Its all good.
If you believe in God, try praying. The trials we go through are for a reason, sometimes we figure out why, sometimes not.

Maybe the job stress you have to deal with has changed you, and she's responding to that by her actions. Maybe it's not all her.

I've been married for 28 years. Sometimes I feel the same way you do. I try to put myself in her shoes and look at what she has to deal with. It's not all unicorns and rainbows on her side either.

Whatever you do, don't rush into anything permanent. Talk to some of the older drivers you work with for advice. They've been there and dealt with the same situation you're dealing with.

And pray some more. That's what I do. The immediate benefit is to help me step back and look at things differently, not be wrapped up in "all about me" which I find myself doing all too often. Good luck

imwell

I'm as productive as the methods allow.
U110, your situation reminds me of myself over 20 years ago. Being “old fashioned and traditional”, I kept going with my marriage, trying to make it work. Four years ago, my wife presented me with divorce papers. She already had other “plans” for her life; there was no changing her mind. At that time, between my 401k and teamster pension, I was well on track to retire in 9 more years if I wanted to. Fast forward to today: half my 401k is gone, a significant portion of my pension is spoken for, house and many other “material” things are gone, and alimony and child support cost me $1259 a month and my child support obligations run well into my 60’s. The possibility of retiring in 5 more years is completely nonexistent.

Don’t be “this” me. We all know that hindsight is “20/20”, but if I would have seen the “writing on the wall” during the first few years of our marriage, before kids, the losses: physically, emotionally, mentally, monetarily, ect, would have been insignificant compared to today.

Yes, there is more to the story than I can post here. And Yes, there are TWO sides to every story, but the enormous cost remains the same. Trying to hang on to a dysfunctional marriage, and delaying what was “inevitable” came with a staggering cost.

There has been some good advice here. I think TOS nails it best in post #26. Rainman, in post #63, has invaluable advice. Mine is just one of MANY possible outcomes if you choose to continue with your marriage. But you need to ask yourself if you are willing to accept this as a possible, and realistic, position you could find yourself in 15, 20 years down the road.

Very tough choices. Been there, done it, I get it. My choices came at a VERY high price. I hope that your choices -whatever they may be- will not.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
U110, your situation reminds me of myself over 20 years ago. Being “old fashioned and traditional”, I kept going with my marriage, trying to make it work. Four years ago, my wife presented me with divorce papers. She already had other “plans” for her life; there was no changing her mind. At that time, between my 401k and teamster pension, I was well on track to retire in 9 more years if I wanted to. Fast forward to today: half my 401k is gone, a significant portion of my pension is spoken for, house and many other “material” things are gone, and alimony and child support cost me $1259 a month and my child support obligations run well into my 60’s. The possibility of retiring in 5 more years is completely nonexistent.

Don’t be “this” me. We all know that hindsight is “20/20”, but if I would have seen the “writing on the wall” during the first few years of our marriage, before kids, the losses: physically, emotionally, mentally, monetarily, ect, would have been insignificant compared to today.

Yes, there is more to the story than I can post here. And Yes, there are TWO sides to every story, but the enormous cost remains the same. Trying to hang on to a dysfunctional marriage, and delaying what was “inevitable” came with a staggering cost.

There has been some good advice here. I think TOS nails it best in post #26. Rainman, in post #63, has invaluable advice. Mine is just one of MANY possible outcomes if you choose to continue with your marriage. But you need to ask yourself if you are willing to accept this as a possible, and realistic, position you could find yourself in 15, 20 years down the road.

Very tough choices. Been there, done it, I get it. My choices came at a VERY high price. I hope that your choices -whatever they may be- will not.
Great advice here. There is a been there done that person.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll

Sometimes a the toughest decision involves undoing the toughest decision. Getting married is a tough thing to get through, but with love it gets easier. Getting divorced comes with no love, a lot of hate and dysfunction.

I appreciate your understanding of my underlying point.

Reflection isnt a good pill to swallow, but looking at something with a clear view when relevant makes a decision that much easier.

Nobody wants to talk someone out of their marriage, but we all know a person in this kind of situation. It matters not male or female, the circumstances are all the same.

A growing disconnect cannot be solved by prayer or fingers crossed.

My advice is based purely on a financial position. As you pointed out, the extreme cost to wait it out can take a huge bite out of your future.

If the poster and his wife are on a collision course with separation, better to be open about it now, discuss it frankly before either one invests any deeper.

As was pointed out, there is always someone out there looking for a hard working man or woman, someone who will greet them no matter what time it is or how upset they are, or where they work.

A team is a team until one of the players finds the M.E. in tEaM.

At that point, if there is an affair involved, or the begining of an affair, things will never recover.

A good sit down and open discussion is better than spending hours dealing with attorneys dividing possessions and your pension and salary somewhere down the road.

I feel bad for anyone stuck in this situation. We can all have that feel good moment where we tell them to stick it out and pray for the best, but this is 2015 and not 1950 anymore.

Times have changed and its too easy to get divorced and half the stuff.

Better to cut the losses early before the losses cut you into half a man.

TOS.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
AND after the losses are cut, if you still feel the same, and decide to give it another try, you can do so, without someone getting half your stuff.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
My advice; if you do divorce, don't give her or settle for anything. No kids, short marriage. Find yourself a decent attorney in family law and you will be just fine.

9.5er

I must admit I did not read all of the responses. I skimmed over about half. Most of it was good advice.
My situation was similar a few years ago. She worked full time while I was part time. Once I got on full time she went to school to become a RN. The stress of my job and her stress from school made things very tense for awhile. We were able to work things out and now our marriage is stronger than ever.
You can work things out but you BOTH have to want it.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
One more thing ; if you do divorce, try mediation! With or without an attorney...it's worth a shot. You'll save a lot of money and perhaps some of your 401k and pension just by being amicable and not dragging through courts. Speaking from experience....

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.

Hate to see this. Feel for ya brother. This is why marriage is becoming non existent. Men get raped on divorce. It isn't worth it.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
You have to stop looking at it like that, and instead look at it as, what's more important. Stress is a proven killer. Everyone needs down time to de-stress. If you pay someone to do those things, that allows you time to enjoy the fruits of your hard-earned labor. It doesn't make you a slacker or lazy. It's just a trade-off.
Definitely got to learn how to relax and just let stuff roll off for real. What he doesn't realize is he has no kids, there is no stress besides this job and if you are going to let this job stress you out then he needs to let this job go. That's the thing after you do this job for a while, you just get the mentality like im not letting this job stress me out, its just a bad nightmare. Do what I do come home from work do your things and kick back with a frostee or burn 1 and just chill dude lol.

overflowed

I love my wife, we argue once in a while. This woman has my back, would even fight a man if I had funk with someone. We are best friends, spend almost all our free time together. I seriously have a new appreciation for my woman after reading this thread. To the OP, I really feel you man. I will tell you if my wife was acting the way you're saying, I'd be up man. You got no kids. Your young. You will find a great woman that you can SHARE a life with. Just take some time and get to really know her if you want to marry again. Hope everything works out, I really do. Be easy bro.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
I've been thru a UPS divorce. Twice. I was able to break away cleanly, no kids from the first 2, we worked out the finances, and I kept all my UPS bennies.
I do wonder tho, if this wouldn't be an issue for you with any job, not just UPS. Sometimes you are just with the wrong person. This is the situation I'm hearing from your description. Only you can truly know this. It's hard to get past this if you really feel the workload is not even. But to cap it off, it doesn't sound like you two are closely bonded either.
Ask yourself, is this what you pictured 3 years ago, and will it still be ok 5, 10 or 40 years from now.