Full Time Driver Lay Offs

trickpony1

There is an easy way to handle this. This is ithe way we bid 4/10 runs in feeder. It could be made to work in package car as well as feeder and probably PT hub regarding lay-offs and is based on seniority and willing participants.

Driver #1
Driver #2
Driver #3
Driver #4
Driver #5

Driver #6 Coverage driver.

Based on seniority and willingness/ability to participate, Drivers 1-5 bid on what day of the week they want off (lay off, no pay). Driver #6 then covers the days off.

This isn't rocket science. It does, however, require the desire and physically exertion of management to make it happen, which probably isn't gonna happen.

Last edited:

browniehound

Brownie, I think the heavy volume the first part of January were are customers spending their gift cards. Stores themselves brace for the extra sales and factor it in to their Christmas numbers. It is why we haven't seen deep discounts yet.
This Monday is the first first week we have had a layoff posted

Hey Browndevil,
That's where I thought the volume came from (gift cards, returns, etc.) but this year it was significantly heavier than past years. Could it be from X-mas and New Year's being on a Thursday so most businesses were closed for 3 days 2 weeks in a row? Once the new year hit the six-days of non-activity was flooded into the system?

Everyone one was severely over-dispacthed here even though our center ran 6 more routes than normal.

I say this with my toungue in cheek (somewhat). UPS wants the sales leads and volume but when they get the volume my center team goes crazy. They don't know what to do and they start ripping their hair out. Isn't this what they want, heavy volume?

When I hear my supervisor complain I liken it to the fable of "the boy who cried wolf". They push for sales lead, yet whine when the volume is heavy? I don't think you can have it both ways.

Why whine when the volume is heavy? Its not like they are doing any of the work, lol? Unless they are?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
No layoffs here, thank goodness. A couple of feeder guys bumped back into package like normal after peak. Our cover drivers are working most days, I usually get add/cuts pulled off me everyday.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Mostly EAM's, but there are drivers all over the building dropping air before they leave.
That right there is why you have lay offs! Those drivers should be taking all of their route out especially when people are laid off! I just do not understand some upsers!

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
That right there is why you have lay offs! Those drivers should be taking all of their route out especially when people are laid off! I just do not understand some upsers!

If they can't make the air commit, they have to drop the air and make it managements problem. As a steward, you know us drivers have to CYA. At least that keeps an air driver working, not doing it is not going to put an extra route in. We don't control that and neither do most Center Managers.

705red

Browncafe Steward
If they can't make the air commit, they have to drop the air and make it managements problem. As a steward, you know us drivers have to CYA. At least that keeps an air driver working, not doing it is not going to put an extra route in. We don't control that and neither do most Center Managers.
Deliver all the airs first and when you are done with airs starte your grounds. Do not deliver a ground until all of your airs are done.

The company would rather pay the lower wages of an air driver compared to a package car driver.

Overpaid Union Thug

It's my understanding that a full time layoff can not bump a part time Article 40 worker. They also can't just use a full time driver for EAM's or 10:30 air if they don't have enough work for them to do the rest of the day.

I don't know why not. If a full-time driver doesn't have a seat for the day then we should be able to bump ANY two part-timers to get our eight hours of work for that day. One time I delivered EAMs and NDAs in the morning and then made the drop box pickups (PM Air Route) in the evening. The PM Air Route is a bid route here but they still let me bump the part-timer back inside that night. I have also worked inside two shifts and also air driving in combination with working inside.

Deliver all the airs first and when you are done with airs starte your grounds. Do not deliver a ground until all of your airs are done.

The company would rather pay the lower wages of an air driver compared to a package car driver.
Red, does 705's contract have the Over 9.5 committee clause? Just wondering.

705red

Browncafe Steward
We have our own 9.5 commitee, which who were in attendance at the national when the national panel ruled against a lot of the 9.5 grievances, over remote routes, too much mileage, not dispatched, bs and more.

To my knowledge we have never had a hard time getting a 9.5 paid. Here it is hours worked, and any 3 days in a 5 day week. Ups does tend to drag it out for some time but it has helped at least in my center to keep baseline routes in. This month i have only filed about a dozen 9.5 compared to 20 to 30 a month last year.

We have our own 9.5 commitee, which who were in attendance at the national when the national panel ruled against a lot of the 9.5 grievances, over remote routes, too much mileage, not dispatched, bs and more.

To my knowledge we have never had a hard time getting a 9.5 paid. Here it is hours worked, and any 3 days in a 5 day week. Ups does tend to drag it out for some time but it has helped at least in my center to keep baseline routes in. This month i have only filed about a dozen 9.5 compared to 20 to 30 a month last year.
Here is the part that totally fumbuzzels me. From the letter posted in the thread about new 9.5 language.
5. Drivers on extended routes will qualify for relief under this article
provided the Company can reasonably dispatch work to other
drivers. Note: This constitutes no change from the 2002-2008
Contract as there was an understanding to this effect between the parties
during those negotiations.

I was under the impression that one the unions main goals was to ....encourage the comapny to develope more full time positions. These guide lines give UPS all they need to denie that encouragement. For example, the one area that I cover alot is 85-90 miles from the center, there are three drivers that deliver parts of that town and it's surrounding RRs. . The base line route ( I'll call it rt1) pulls a PT60 for rt2 that delivers about 20-30 residentials to the town and also delivers three other communities and the RR out of them. Rt3 does about half the business in town and then RRs (including RR business). Rt1 has to take in all pick up volume for all three(including air) and be back to the center by 18:30. Rt 2 and Rt 3 are both dispatched over 9.5 most days (mind you neither rt can actaully be delivered in the dispatched time). So there is no other drivers to give relief, leaving those two other drivers with zero help for over 9.5 work days. Please tell me how they union can think this is looking out for the dues paying union members?

Plus I call BS on their little NOTE: I no more believe this was an understanding till they met the last time.

I am getting very tired of not being represented by the union I pay dues to every week. I personally feel the union has sold us out.

Some peaple have trouble delivering 60-65 air stops by 10:30.

Anybody know how to withdrawal from the union? If I get laid off after 20 years with the company and 15 years paying union dues. The union failed me and I will no longer want to support them.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Anybody know how to withdrawal from the union? If I get laid off after 20 years with the company and 15 years paying union dues. The union failed me and I will no longer want to support them.[/quote]
When were you planning on starting to supporting them?The contract is your friend, the good parts and even the bad parts, use it or dont, but do not blame the union!

Once again its the union's fault because volume is down, or you can not have your fellow drivers deliver all the air separate, or take their lunch between a certain time frame.

outamyway

Anybody know how to withdrawal from the union? If I get laid off after 20 years with the company and 15 years paying union dues. The union failed me and I will no longer want to support them.

I think you're pretty safe with 20 years. Now my 3? I am a little worried.

You should have been here the last 2.5 years. You would have seen true union failure. I stilled continued to pay my dues so I could have the opportunity to help vote those reps out of the seats.

705red

Browncafe Steward
I think you're pretty safe with 20 years. Now my 3? I am a little worried.

You should have been here the last 2.5 years. You would have seen true union failure. I stilled continued to pay my dues so I could have the opportunity to help vote those reps out of the seats.
Wasnt the vegas election just recently? I thought that i heard the incumbent lost?

Once again its the union's fault because volume is down, or you can not have your fellow drivers deliver all the air separate, or take their lunch between a certain time frame.

No the volume is not the unions fault, but it is the unions fault that a 15 year member gets laid off before a 5 year member.