Full Time Driver Lay Offs

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Has this happened yet or are you speculating? If we are truly comparing full time driving to full time driving then I'm thinking if they lay you off and work him, you can win a grievance, hands down. I've never heard of any supplement that would allow this and I am pretty sure the NMA would not.
To my knowledge this would hold true even if you were a full time cover driver and he a ft bid driver.

have you both been in the same center all this time?
Assuming this is ft and ft in the same ctr, you are right Trpl. Even here, my steward would be layed off before I would, even though she has a bidded rte and I do not. I have more seniority and would stay. This sounds like a winable grievance.

trickpony1

1989-
you think you've got problems?
I know a feeder driver that lost 49 work days because of a blood clot in his leg that occured shortly after shoulder surgery from a work related injury.
The driver had releases from the company approved orthopedic surgeon as well as the pulmonologist that treated him for the blood clot.
Didn't matter. When the district nurse whispers in the company doctors ear guess who's gonna get screwed.
Our union is worthless.
I don't blame you for wanting to step out.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
So you never benefited from all the contracts in those 15 years? Never got a raise, your co-pay for benefits increased with the rising cost of care, your retirement was not contributed, you never used your senority to get better routes, positions, etc.? Yeah you have the right to demonstrate, but freeloading only says you aren't willing to pay for benefits recieved. Everyone can get pissed at the system and go on welfare, but that right is just the right to be irresponsible. If you want to demonstrate, go down to the hall and badger the crap out of them until you get what you feel is fair representation for you and the other members from the union. No reason to just give up. You can always go work at a non-union shop and see if that works out for you. I've paid for dead beats, I've paid for poorly managed banks, insurance companies, governments, auto manufacturers, and now you want me to pay for you. No thanks, sorry the more I think about it the more pissed I get. Pay your dues like everyone else.:knockedout:
Sorry Brownblue, even though I would agree with you in theory and principle, it just doesn't work that way, especially in right to work states. The union is required to represent regardless of dues. If you work in a closed shop then you don't work unless you pay dues. If you work in an open shop then you have the choice to pay or not. Right or wrong doesn't matter.

1989-
I know a feeder driver that lost 49 work days because of a blood clot in his leg that occured shortly after shoulder surgery from a work related injury.
The driver had releases from the company approved orthopedic surgeon as well as the pulmonologist that treated him for the blood clot.
Didn't matter. When the district nurse whispers in the company doctors ear guess who's gonna get screwed.
Our union is worthless.

I don't really have problems, well nothing compared to this person...Last year there was a driver in another center that was out due to a tumor and were asking for donations at a bank. I offered to donate some sick hours and was denied because my supplement didn't allow it. Eventhough I donated some to a driver in 2003 under another supplement.

1989-
Our union is worthless.

The first mistake was going to the company doctor to begin with. The company has no say in what doctor treats you, neither does the Comp insurance company. They can require you to seek a second opinion.
Can you or the guy that got screwed prove the company nurse whispered in the doctor's ear? No, I didn't think so. Guess what, the union can't prove it either. So how does that make them worthless? I'm not saying the union is prefect by any means, but worthless hardly tells the whole truth either.
Every state has a workers comp commission (or whatever they call it) that over sees such matters, they can give an injured employee lots of needed info that no one else will tell them.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The first mistake was going to the company doctor to begin with. The company has no say in what doctor treats you, neither does the Comp insurance company. They can require you to seek a second opinion.

Depends on the state I guess...in Georgia you have to go to the company doctor and then you can go to your own doctor but workers comp will not pay for that doctor bill. Typically it is out of pocket since your insurance will not pay for an accident.
You can work around it by scheduling a visit for an unrelated "issue" and have your doc check you out.
Agree though...always go to your own doctor somehow.

Depends on the state I guess...in Georgia you have to go to the company doctor and then you can go to your own doctor but workers comp will not pay for that doctor bill. Typically it is out of pocket since your insurance will not pay for an accident.
You can work around it by scheduling a visit for an unrelated "issue" and have your doc check you out.
WOW, I just figured that every state allowed the injured to pick their treating Doc. I guess I'll mark it down that I won't be moving to Georgia soon. My insurance (BC/BS)will pay for an off the job accident, but not on the job. My Doc doesn't take workers comp claims, but I have another one that does. He used to be the company Doc but that relationship ended when he wouldn't share info to one of our CMs a few years ago. He's a good Doc for injuries, spent many years as an ER trauma physician.

All said and done though, most (if not all) states have some sort of regulatory agency to oversee WC Cases. If you get hurt on the job, talk to them as soon as you can to find out just what your rights are.

local804

Very different than the big apple

trickpony1

Can you or the guy that got screwed prove the company nurse whispered in the doctor's ear? No, I didn't think so. Guess what, the union can't prove it either. So how does that make them worthless? I'm not saying the union is prefect by any means, but worthless hardly tells the whole truth either.

I can prove the nurse whispered in the doctor's ear on another case because its on a depo filed in court. Some people believe she has a propensity to influence doctors and has, allegedly, been called on it several times.

"So how does that make them worthless?". Just like the other poster who has paid dues for 15 years, this driver has paid dues for 30+ years and obviously didn't get any representation from the union side of the deadlock panel on what some people thought was a "slam dunk" case.

brownboxman

So when we are hired on at UPS we understand the seniority system. We roll the dice and hope we get enough hours to qualify for benies and make enough to get by, it was that way 20 years go and it is that way today. Everyone has a choice. My advise is everyone work "safe" and this too shall pass!

Ms.PacMan

All the grumblings in my center have started to revolve around the drivers with 30+ years not retiring and allowing the newest drivers a chance to work.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
WOW, I just figured that every state allowed the injured to pick their treating Doc. I guess I'll mark it down that I won't be moving to Georgia soon. My insurance (BC/BS)will pay for an off the job accident, but not on the job. My Doc doesn't take workers comp claims, but I have another one that does. He used to be the company Doc but that relationship ended when he wouldn't share info to one of our CMs a few years ago. He's a good Doc for injuries, spent many years as an ER trauma physician.

All said and done though, most (if not all) states have some sort of regulatory agency to oversee WC Cases. If you get hurt on the job, talk to them as soon as you can to find out just what your rights are.
Trpl, did my doctor move to Tex? He retired not to long ago. LOL My doc sounds just like yours including the ER part. Mine actually did the company DOT physicals for awhile. The company quit using him because they couldn't bully him. I miss him terribly, in fact today I finally changed to another doc (that I don't know). This part sucks (I hated having to change). I refuse to go to any of the 'old guard' around here. This is a small town and I don't trust the company to not be in any of the pockets of the long time doctors around here.

All the grumblings in my center have started to revolve around the drivers with 30+ years not retiring and allowing the newest drivers a chance to work.

You mean the same chance those drivers had 30+ years ago? And in 30+ years what should we do with you?

Ms.PacMan

You mean the same chance those drivers had 30+ years ago? And in 30+ years what should we do with you?

Now where in my post did I say that was my sentiment? I was just adding to this discussion by stating what is being discussed at my center.

In case you're wondering, I'm halfway to retirement and the lay offs won't get to me and I won't gain a better route from anyone retiring, so at this point in time I can see both sides and stay out of it.

Now where in my post did I say that was my sentiment? I was just adding to this discussion by stating what is being discussed at my center.

In case you're wondering, I'm halfway to retirement and the lay offs won't get to me and I won't gain a better route from anyone retiring, so at this point in time I can see both sides and stay out of it.

Fair enough. Please change "you" to "they". There`s a lot of these new drivers who don`t want to put in the time.