Full time driving advice

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Youre also at an advantage having loaded trucks. Knowing damn well you dont read the pal labels and put it in chrono order, you know your loader is likely gonna do the same to you. (If they even get it on the right shelf or truck). Many times youre gonna find NDA's on the back of the 6000 and 8000 shelves cause they turned around in a hurry to get it on the truck but never made it back to putting it on the 1000 shelf if you dont take the time to go through your truck in the morning. Verify your air before you leave the building that you 1.) Have it. And 2.) is in an easy place to get to like slam in the middle of the walkway is where I put mine so all I have to do is open the bulkhead and there it all is.

Many of the vets here will call you a :censored2: for going through your truck off the clock and organizing it. Its all a matter of what kind of day you want to have. Do you have something to do in the evening? Might want to go in an hour to an hour and a half early and sort your truck off the clock. If youre out to make some money, hope for the best from your loader, expect the worst, and make that money
Hour and a half early???? :censored2: that Holmes!

JJinVA

Hour and a half early???? :censored2: that Holmes!

I legit do that everyday. I started in unload so my body was used to waking up at 2am. Im just now getting to the point to where I wake up at 6am, but Im only 10 minutes away so its either sit off the clock and stare at my ceiling. Or, set myself up for a decent day and go talk codswallop to the preloaders. *shrug*

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
I legit do that everyday. I started in unload so my body was used to waking up at 2am. Im just now getting to the point to where I wake up at 6am, but Im only 10 minutes away so its either sit off the clock and stare at my ceiling. Or, set myself up for a decent day and go talk codswallop to the preloaders. *shrug*
Honestly, I hope you get hurt loading your truck off the clock and denied Comp. Bull :censored2: excuse.

JJinVA

No love. Working for free is the dumbest thing you can do. Period.

Right. I previously discussed this sentiment. lol

I go in early everyday but I dont always go through my truck. Some days I just stand around and bull codswallop. But if I want to have a good day, especially on Wednesday, I go through it. Couldnt care less. Im not hustling. I might move a few packages, go talk some codswallop, move a few more. If it was EXPECTED out of me I would have a different attitude towards it. Alot of the time the supes will tell me to go punch in if Im gonna sort it... *shrug*

Poop Head

Judge me.
Right. I previously discussed this sentiment. lol

I go in early everyday but I dont always go through my truck. Some days I just stand around and bull codswallop. But if I want to have a good day, especially on Wednesday, I go through it. Couldnt care less. Im not hustling. I might move a few packages, go talk some codswallop, move a few more. If it was EXPECTED out of me I would have a different attitude towards it. Alot of the time the supes will tell me to go punch in if Im gonna sort it... *shrug*
Rule #1 of UPS. NEVER do anything for free.

Go workout or something before work! What the heck is wrong with you??? Whats next? You gonna say you sort your truck on paid BREAKS?

JJinVA

That would be grieved in a heartbeat here, to the point that you wouldn't even beable to go near your truck till after start time

Really? I was told I could code it under Sort and Load. Dont see what the grievance would be. Especially considering Im a 22.4 which is technically a combo preload/driving job anyways. Either way, I know alot of the guys sit out front and dont do anything until start time. They use their paid breaks to chill. And they use their whole hour lunch to eat and surf the web. I think that as time goes on, and as UPS gives me more and more hell over trivial stuff, Ill develop the same bitterness. But as of right now, its not about them, its about me and what kind of day I want to have.

JJinVA

Seniority violation. Thats "extra work"

Never heard any mentions of that. Though they have asked me to punch in for preload a few times after coming in early and they were under staffed but again, far as I understand, that falls under my job title.

Poop Head

Judge me.
as UPS gives me more and more hell over trivial stuff, Ill develop the same bitterness. But as of right now, its not about them, its about me and what kind of day I want to have.
Its not about bitterness or anything like that. Its about operating in compliance with the agreed upon contract.

Example, people that work their vacations. "Im just doing it to make extra money, i need it right now, there nothing to do anyway, yada yada yada." Great, now next year, ups is gonna look at the numbers and say, well we handled x amount of volume last year, we only need to hire this many more drivers. In reality, they should have hired more last year, but :censored2:s kept bailing them out by working vacations, so we essentially eliminated that many hourly positions. Eliminated money going into the pension fund, healthcare fund, etc...

JJinVA

Its not about bitterness or anything like that. Its about operating in compliance with the agreed upon contract.

Example, people that work their vacations. "Im just doing it to make extra money, i need it right now, there nothing to do anyway, yada yada yada." Great, now next year, ups is gonna look at the numbers and say, well we handled x amount of volume last year, we only need to hire this many more drivers. In reality, they should have hired more last year, but :censored2:s kept bailing them out by working vacations, so we essentially eliminated that many hourly positions. Eliminated money going into the pension fund, healthcare fund, etc...

I see your logic, but at the same time, Ive seen how UPS Corporate does things. We've had broken rollers and broken PAL printers since I started that still havent been "approved" for repair. Hell the main entrance door has been torn off the hinges a dozen times and the door was literally taped shut. lol I dont know that those things are really the straws that break the hiring camels back so to speak. For-profit ANYTHING will always try to do more with less. It certainly doesnt HELP the cause, but I seriously doubt that even if every single one of us refused to go through our trucks, that it would be more significant to them. Just my opinion though

Poop Head

Judge me.
, but I seriously doubt that even if every single one of us refused to go through our trucks, that it would be more significant to them. Just my opinion though
People doing this is literally the reason that regional i.e. thinks preloads can start 3.5 hours before driver start time, short staffed, and with record volume