Full time driving advice

JJinVA

weak union

I could see that. The two times I needed someone in my corner, they kinda rolled over and licked managements nizzuts and left me out in the cold. I wouldnt be a scab if the union called for a strike, but Im still gonna go through my truck every Wednesday lol

Poop Head

Judge me.
If that were the case why would the supes and center manager suggest it? Meaning, if it was something that could cause discipline.
Because no hourlies are enforcing the contract, that both the company and us (the union) agreed to. Obviously, the company will violate that contract as much as we let/enable them to.

JJinVA

Lmfao, why, you "heavy" on Wednesdays? Dude. If the company wanted you to have a great load, theyd hire enough loaders and start them early enough that they could give you one.

I just think that's really optimistic expectations of a corporation. Even with the enormous profits they've recorded this year, where are the repairs to broken equipment, trucks? They just get rentals or borrow trucks from nearby centers that don't even have nav. Instead supes got bonuses. I think if you were in corporate you would have the good sense to do that but they are a different breed.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I just think that's really optimistic expectations of a corporation. Even with the enormous profits they've recorded this year, where are the repairs to broken equipment, trucks? They just get rentals or borrow trucks from nearby centers that don't even have nav. Instead supes got bonuses. I think if you were in corporate you would have the good sense to do that but they are a different breed.
So they’ve had these enormous profits and you’re just happy as can be to work for free.....
BC7E9992-0427-451B-A136-24095FA41C4D.gif

Poop Head

Judge me.
My point is that we all know the company will not do that. And youre falling right into their trap. Go in, everyday, prepared to work up to 14 hours. Enjoy your time in the morning, and if bs-ing with preloaders for 1.5 hours is what you wanna do, more power to you. Lord knows, if i had an extra hour and a half in the mornings, id be lifting heavy as :censored2:, but thats just me. But please dont be working for free, for the sake of your union brothers.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Because no hourlies are enforcing the contract, that both the company and us (the union) agreed to. Obviously, the company will violate that contract as much as we let/enable them to.
At least once a week I get in an argument with management over the fact that it is OUR contract. MUTUALLY AGREED

Oh well if you think that’s what your contract says you can file.

MisplacedRailWorker

an absolute *ing disgrace of a human being.
You lost me at "handle accidents"

You don't get into one. Space on all four sides but always in front.

:censored2: all of this above and understand that you will NEVER qualify with an accident. They are all preventable using the methods. I've seen guys never scratch not one time and make book (qualify) (this was me)

I've seen a million guys come in an hour under and "management loves me" and "SPORH is best in the building" and crack one mirror and GONE.

Drive like grandma. But when the handbrake goes down so does the hammer: the boots get to tapping. You deliver, bring the truck back exactly the way you left with it, and don't overthink the rest.

SorryLazyPOS

Big Kahuna Burger
Right. I previously discussed this sentiment. lol

I go in early everyday but I dont always go through my truck. Some days I just stand around and bull :censored2:. But if I want to have a good day, especially on Wednesday, I go through it. Couldnt care less. Im not hustling. I might move a few packages, go talk some :censored2:, move a few more. If it was EXPECTED out of me I would have a different attitude towards it. Alot of the time the supes will tell me to go punch in if Im gonna sort it... *shrug*
Hey man if you want to give away $20-40 you can just give it to me. That is crazy to touch anything off the clock.

Youre also at an advantage having loaded trucks. Knowing damn well you dont read the pal labels and put it in chrono order, you know your loader is likely gonna do the same to you. (If they even get it on the right shelf or truck). Many times youre gonna find NDA's on the back of the 6000 and 8000 shelves cause they turned around in a hurry to get it on the truck but never made it back to putting it on the 1000 shelf if you dont take the time to go through your truck in the morning. Verify your air before you leave the building that you 1.) Have it. And 2.) is in an easy place to get to like slam in the middle of the walkway is where I put mine so all I have to do is open the bulkhead and there it all is.

Many of the vets here will call you a :censored2: for going through your truck off the clock and organizing it. Its all a matter of what kind of day you want to have. Do you have something to do in the evening? Might want to go in an hour to an hour and a half early and sort your truck off the clock. If youre out to make some money, hope for the best from your loader, expect the worst, and make that money
Thanks that helps a lot. I do plan on coming in early to mentally prepare. I want to get as efficient as I can so I’m not stressing all the time.

born2Bwild

I always tell rookies “ don’t dress to impress “. Don’t panic, believe and follow the method you were trained on as you gain confidence. Don’t cut corner, run, skip lunch to meet their numbers. Instead, build your speed on safety method and you’ll be fine. If it brings you comfort go into the truck an hour early to prep at least the first four shelve.

JJinVA

So they’ve had these enormous profits and you’re just happy as can be to work for free.....View attachment 309646

Not at all happy as can be. Just being honest with myself. They arent gonna hire more people just because Im heavy or the loaders are struggling. Ive heard about 5 loaders threaten to quit since I started. They make the threat weekly because of how much work they get. And guess what, everyday, right on time they walk in the door. Management knows that and keeps doing it anyways until someone actually quits and then they have to load seven trucks themselves.

I wish we did live in a world where hiring was based on the workload rather than on the profit-losses. The workmans comp, the insurance, the sick days, etc. Ive heard management say a few times they were worried about hiring too many ppl and then this covid thing blowing over and being stuck with a mountain of ppl and a light load every day. Thats a FEAR of theirs, so why on Earth would they, "out of the kindness of their hearts" work to implement said fear? They wont.

MisplacedRailWorker

You can come in 2 hours early or miss PCM every single day and still qualify, but keep remembering that if you let that truck roll an inch, tap someone in front of you, or back into a mailbox,

You won't even have to worry about the rest. You won't have a truck to sort

JJinVA

Nothing would make me happier than to show up to a preloader, who only had to load MY truck, everything was in chrono order, and I had a walkway.

In other news, nothing would make me happier than coming home to a 1990 Jenna Jameson in my bedroom.

Both completely unrealistic.

Zowert

This may have been covered already, I’m too lazy to read through four pages of comments to make sure it wasn’t.

Always know where the pieces to your next ten stops are. This will help you out during your qualifying period. If you have to stop and sort for a couple minutes, do it! Work at a brisk pace but don’t rush.

If you’re going to block a street to deliver then fully commit to it, make sure no one can get around you. Seriously, if you leave space someone will try to use it and if they end up making contact with your package car UPS will call it an avoidable accident. Not saying you need to block the road all the time, you’ll know when the time is right.

You MUST assume everyone around you is an idiot. Even if you have the right of way be cautious. Never ever let someone give up their right of way. If some fool is waving you to go even though it’s their turn just sit there and look at them until they figure their life out. I saw a driver give up his right of way to a car turning left into oncoming traffic through an uncontrolled intersection last month, the result was a three car pile up. Don’t try to do a nice thing for someone on road, just be predictable.

Follow the methods (you’ll learn them). Be honest, if you get a misload then page it in don’t try to hide it. Dishonesty will cost you your job, the union will not be able to back you. Do not work during breaks or lunch. While on the clock, keep moving but don’t kill yourself. Oh and tree branches, always be aware of them. You will be surprised how easily you can lose a mirror and if that happens during your 30, you’re done.

Best of luck to you.

MisplacedRailWorker

@MisterMisload I shouldn't have to worry about distracting you at work right now, phone should be off and put away. Camera or not, guys have been terminated AFTER qualifying for being observed by a member of management looking down at their phone while at a stop light.

So we're going to keep posting

@JJinVA seriously, this is what I have been doing for years. I get a buy one get one XL coffee from DD and maybe 4 egg wraps (8$) 2 for me, give the other 2 to the preloader. He or she will be very grateful and it doesn't have to be every day. But I did learn that this is more appreciated by the permanent package handlers than seasonal. Peak preload never gave a :censored2:, just fuel for them to run out of the building faster and never look back after day 2 lol

MisplacedRailWorker

This may have been covered already, I’m too lazy to read through four pages of comments to make sure it wasn’t.

Always know where the pieces to your next ten stops are. This will help you out during your qualifying period. If you have to stop and sort for a couple minutes, do it! Work at a brisk pace but don’t rush.

If you’re going to block a street to deliver then fully commit to it, make sure no one can get around you. Seriously, if you leave space someone will try to use it and if they end up making contact with your package car UPS will call it an avoidable accident. Not saying you need to block the road all the time, you’ll know when the time is right.

You MUST assume everyone around you is an idiot. Even if you have the right of way be cautious. Never ever let someone give up their right of way. If some fool is waving you to go even though it’s their turn just sit there and look at them until they figure their life out. I saw a driver give up his right of way to a car turning left into oncoming traffic through an uncontrolled intersection last month, the result was a three car pile up. Don’t try to do a nice thing for someone on road, just predictable.

Follow the methods (you’ll learn them). Be honest, if you get a misload then page it in don’t try to hide it. Dishonesty will cost you your job, the union will not be able to back you. Do not work during breaks or lunch. While on the clock, keep moving but don’t kill yourself. Oh and tree branches, always be aware of them. You will be surprised how easily you can lose a mirror and if that happens during your 30, you’re done.

Best of luck to you.
MUCH better articulated. This man is definitely a legitimate guy, you can tell by his yearbook pic!