Garage door codes

AKCoverMan

Almost every mobile tool dealer I have been to has a secure location set up to DR in and for good reason. The stuff we deliver is his/her livelihood and expensive. These customers provide us with steady high volume, putting stuff where they want it so it doesn’t get stolen is service we should provide.

100% of your paycheck and benefits flow from the customers. Not UPS, not Teamsters. It all comes from the customers.. the shippers and receivers.

rod

Retired 22 years
Like him, if i saw a beware of dog sign, i wouldn't attempt to open the garage.
I wouldn't open the garage even if the sign wasn't there.
Leave it at the garage door? Yes.
If the garage was already open, I'd placed it inside, at the door.
Times have changed. I remember when we would knock-open the house door-yell "UPS" and drop the package inside. Most of the time this was done without giving the homeowner enough time to open the door.

AKCoverMan

I knew them on my route but wouldn't pass them on to most cover drivers. The customers trusted me but didn't want random people to have access.
I have them put into DIAD on my route. Lot of gated rural properties enter at code a electric gate then drive up to house.. along with my own tool dealer who has us put stuff inside a man door to the connected hallway between his house and his garage/shop. Got three DIAD notes at his place.. the code, instruction to put stuff in hall, and a final DO NOT DR OUTSIDE note. Since I put all those in I no longer hear about $10k in tools being stacked up outdoors! Take care of the customers! (Got nice SnapOn Tools jacket from him, he and his family are great people.)

My customers are not worried that a upser is going to use the code and they only know a code exists if they have a stop there it’s not like you can just ask DIAD for all the codes it knows.

Est.1998

Times have changed. I remember when we would knock-open the house door-yell "UPS" and drop the package inside. Most of the time this was done without giving the homeowner enough time to open the door.
One day when i get off cover and run my route a year or so i might bring those times back for my customers. "Might"

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
Dudes a prick. Remember it for next time. First time deliveries are always scuffed until you understand what to do fully

Est.1998

Now days you would probably get shot--I wouldn't advise it now.
The might part is of course after getting to know the usual suspects and asking what they prefer.
But just opening people's doors like i lived there prior to doing so, nah.

Dumbo

Now days you would probably get shot--I wouldn't advise it now.

Exactly. Wife sets to deliver inside garage without telling husband. Husband is home from work one day cleaning guns in his garage and opens fire. Probably not likely but regardless it's just never a good idea to enter somebody's private domain. I'll never agree to it. Not to mention if anything ever goes missing from the garage, guess who the first suspect is going to be? It's a liability on multiple fronts.

Last edited:

Whither

Scofflaw
I have them put into DIAD on my route. Lot of gated rural properties enter at code a electric gate then drive up to house.. along with my own tool dealer who has us put stuff inside a man door to the connected hallway between his house and his garage/shop. Got three DIAD notes at his place.. the code, instruction to put stuff in hall, and a final DO NOT DR OUTSIDE note. Since I put all those in I no longer hear about $10k in tools being stacked up outdoors! Take care of the customers! (Got nice SnapOn Tools jacket from him, he and his family are great people.)
1. The OP openly stated they had never made a delivery at this stop before.
2. It's as though you are forgetting what kind of company we work for. Suppose there was a dog lying in wait behind the garage door and the OP had suffered severe injuries by blindly following the board's instructions. One, there's no undoing that. Two, adding insult to injury you can bet mgmt would accuse the driver, "Why did you ignore the Beware of Dog sign?!"

PT Car Washer

2. It's as though you are forgetting what kind of company we work for. Suppose there was a dog lying in wait behind the garage door and the OP had suffered severe injuries by blindly following the board's instructions. One, there's no undoing that. Two, adding insult to injury you can bet mgmt would accuse the driver, "Why did you ignore the Beware of Dog sign?!"
Why would the home owner instruct you to place packages inside the garage and then have a dangerous animal inside? He would be opening himself up to a lawsuit. Think about it.

Est.1998

Why would the home owner instruct you to place packages inside the garage and then have a dangerous animal inside? He would be opening himself up to a lawsuit. Think about it.
The homeowner didn't instruct him to do anything until after the fact.
His initial instruction came from the diad.
Keep in mind, this is a place he's never been to.
Next time he delivers there might be different.

AKCoverMan

Is this theoretical dog in the garage trained in stealth attack techniques? Obviously if a dog is going ape :censored2: behind a door don’t open it. But the OP seemed to just want to ignore the DIAD instructions. Worried there’s a dog in the garage you’ve been instructed to deliver to? Knock on the garage door. You’ll know if there a dog.

I’m not worried about “the kind of company I work for”. Much more concrete about the customers I work for.

Hot Carl

Exactly. Wife sets to deliver inside garage without telling husband. Husband is home from work one day cleaning guns in his garage and opens fire. Probably not likely but regardless it's just never a good idea to enter somebody's private domain. I'll never agree to it. Not to mention if anything ever goes missing from the garage, guess who the first suspect is going to be? It's a liability on multiple fronts.

My union steward said this exact same thing when I explained the situation to him. Said if the regular driver does that, that's on him. But if stuff ever goes missing from the garage, who are they gonna suspect? Well, the UPS guy knows the code.

Est.1998

Is this theoretical dog in the garage trained in stealth attack techniques? Obviously if a dog is going ape * behind a door don’t open it. But the OP seemed to just want to ignore the DIAD instructions. Worried there’s a dog in the garage you’ve been instructed to deliver to? Knock on the garage door. You’ll know if there a dog.

I’m not worried about “the kind of company I work for”. Much more concrete about the customers I work for.
The OP wanted to comply.
If his intentions were to DR front door regardless of anything, this post wouldn't exist.
He did the logical thing which helps a person survive in real life.
The bid driver who gave him the stop should've told him about it.
I know he saw the address on the box he probably delivers to at least twice a week.
I bet any amt of money the customer was watching him the whole time. He could've came out when he saw it wasn't his original driver and took the "valuable" pkg.

JJinVA

My union steward said this exact same thing when I explained the situation to him. Said if the regular driver does that, that's on him. But if stuff ever goes missing from the garage, who are they gonna suspect? Well, the UPS guy knows the code.
Exactly. Our center manager has told us he doesnt even want us going into people screened-in porches. Another driver at a nearby center went into one and the lady called the police and said that the UPS man "entered her house". He was walked off the property the following morning. center manager said, "Consider the porch to be the front door and leave it right at that door. What if there was a kid inside playing, kid falls, starts crying, customer walks out and there you are standing next to their crying child?"

If it seems like a liability, I dont give a d*mn what the DIAD says Im not doing it. The ones that crack me up the most are the houses in the hood that say DEL REAR-DOOR, and then have a privacy fence with a beware of dog sign on it. Yeah Ill get right on that buddy. So I let the DIAD auto fill "DR REAR DOOR" and put it right on the front steps. Stop complete. Adios.

Dumbo

Also consider that most people leave their home doors from their garage open. You aren't just walking into their garage, you are just as much walking into their home. Any amount of nafarious possibilities exist when you enter a private domain. I'm surprised anybody would do it. I'm actually surprised that any driver would do it even if you know the customer. In a way that almost makes it worse. It's TOO personal then. No offense to the customer but I will always err on the side of protecting my own ass.

Est.1998

Exactly. Our center manager has told us he doesnt even want us going into people screened-in porches. Another driver at a nearby center went into one and the lady called the police and said that the UPS man "entered her house". He was walked off the property the following morning. center manager said, "Consider the porch to be the front door and leave it right at that door. What if there was a kid inside playing, kid falls, starts crying, customer walks out and there you are standing next to their crying child?"

If it seems like a liability, I dont give a d*mn what the DIAD says Im not doing it. The ones that crack me up the most are the houses in the hood that say DEL REAR-DOOR, and then have a privacy fence with a beware of dog sign on it. Yeah Ill get right on that buddy. So I let the DIAD auto fill "DR REAR DOOR" and put it right on the front steps. Stop complete. Adios.
Exactly.
If the diad instructs me rear door, and there's a fence i can't see through surrounding the backyard, I'll knock/ring bell to see if anyone is home first.
No response, I'll hide it somewhere on the front porch or if it fits, in the screen door.

JJinVA

Exactly.
If the diad instructs me rear door, and there's a fence i can't see through surrounding the backyard, I'll knock/ring bell to see if anyone is home first.
No response, I'll hide it somewhere on the front porch or if it fits, in the screen door.
The only time I take it to the rear door is if the rear door is in the line of sight of my package car and theres no fence. Other than that, aint happenin'. Another driver at a nearby center went into a backyard and got mauled by a pitbull. When he was trying to escape he fell and the pit got him on the neck. He's lucky to be alive but needed extensive plastic surgery. Another female driver got attacked by a pit after entering a chainlink fence in the frontyard. Pit came from around the corner and nearly tore her hand off.

Im all about trying to provide good service but not at the expense of my life or well-being. No package is that important to me. Infact, I think both of those cases that I just touched on should be blacklisted from ever receiving a delivery from us again. If they are that incompetent to know they are expecting a delivery, and still leave their vicious animals outside, they deserve to go pickup their own shizz from the center. :censored2: 'em