Garage door codes

Hot Carl

Does anyone else just disregard these and DR-Front Door instead when prompted with one in the DIAD? Never really been comfortable with going into someone's garage, and that was before this recent incident.

I get sent to take 20ish stops off a guy and it's all in an area I don't really know that well, but my cradle works so it's no big deal. Anyway, I get to like the 3rd stop and it's one of those MAC tools guys. Never had an issue with any of them until this incident.

I scan the box and it gives me a garage code and then prompts me with a customer requested DR-Garage. The garage door has a "Beware of Dog" sticker on it and as a rule of thumb, I don't open things with that on them, so I ignore it and DR-Front Door instead.

I get halfway back to the truck and this jackass steps out of his house and screams at me at the top of his lungs "Hey! What does your 'handheld' say?!" I pull the DIAD out and look at it and play dumb, so he screams even louder, "WHAT DOES IT SAY?! YOU PUT IT IN THE GARAGE!!!"

So I yell back that this isn't my area. Still screaming, he says "EXCUSE YOU??" And then points and tells me to "GO PUT IT IN THE GARAGE!!!"

I started up and left.

Dumbo

I think you handled it fine. I never use the garage. It's a liability for you and if I were ever confronted by a person about it I would tell them exactly that and that I wasn't comfortable entering private property and that release location is a request only and if they have any further concerns to please call the 800 number on the back door as you drive off. See ya.

rod

Retired 22 years
Beware of Dog sign was probably just a way to keep people out-- but you had no way of knowing that. The regular driver knows.

Whither

Scofflaw
On a related note, I'd been on a long streak of good experiences meeting new dogs. So I got a little too cocky, thinking I'd become a dog whisperer until a mutt/pit mix reminded me to err on the side of caution last week. I was ready and 'left myself an out', but that out included 10 seconds of intense DIAD-to-jaw combat -- neither one of us touched the other, but whew, could've been mauled.

Whither

Scofflaw
Did you see or hear a dog? DIAD directions were to deliver to garage.
Stop on a busy street on my route is a side-door release. Turns out the resident meant the door by his garage, not the one evident from the street -- which you access through a gate, and where his dog suddenly snuck around a blind corner on me despite my following the methods, .e.g., made plenty of noise before entering the gate, bellowed "UPS!". Didn't see or hear the dog until the last second. Talked with the resident next time I saw him and got it figured out.

SLW

Most of the Notes in my DIAD are outdated, so I don't open any garages or do any other sketchy :censored2: unless the customer tells me personally

barnyard

KTM rider
The notes are all current on my route. I have several garage codes and they are all codes that I asked the homeowners for. In all the cases, they are people that get medical supplies at least once a week and do not have a covered porch to leave things. I make sure that notes are updated when people move and that code 4s are removed if they move. I have been covering a lot of feeder work this year and my code 4s have exploded.

JJinVA

Does anyone else just disregard these and DR-Front Door instead when prompted with one in the DIAD? Never really been comfortable with going into someone's garage, and that was before this recent incident.

I get sent to take 20ish stops off a guy and it's all in an area I don't really know that well, but my cradle works so it's no big deal. Anyway, I get to like the 3rd stop and it's one of those MAC tools guys. Never had an issue with any of them until this incident.

I scan the box and it gives me a garage code and then prompts me with a customer requested DR-Garage. The garage door has a "Beware of Dog" sticker on it and as a rule of thumb, I don't open things with that on them, so I ignore it and DR-Front Door instead.

I get halfway back to the truck and this jackass steps out of his house and screams at me at the top of his lungs "Hey! What does your 'handheld' say?!" I pull the DIAD out and look at it and play dumb, so he screams even louder, "WHAT DOES IT SAY?! YOU PUT IT IN THE GARAGE!!!"

So I yell back that this isn't my area. Still screaming, he says "EXCUSE YOU??" And then points and tells me to "GO PUT IT IN THE GARAGE!!!"

I started up and left.
I would have yelled back at him, "UPS is a delivery service, this isnt Two Men and A Truck.Have fun with that"

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge

I started up and left.
@IVE GOTTA PACKAGE 4U knows all about garage codes

Est.1998

Did you see or hear a dog? DIAD directions were to deliver to garage.
Like him, if i saw a beware of dog sign, i wouldn't attempt to open the garage.
I wouldn't open the garage even if the sign wasn't there.
Leave it at the garage door? Yes.
If the garage was already open, I'd placed it inside, at the door.