Generation Garbage

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
Please explain this negligence that disabled your ability to save.
That's what it comes down to for us; we have to save and get a stack before we embark on any big purchasing. Week to week doesn't work anymore. I am lucky that I have a cabin on my Grandmothers property to rent. Only 300$ a month and now have over 5 gs saved, only been a driver for 7 months. I'll be buying a house in the next year or so and I'll have plenty left in the bank after that dp. Have to go above and beyond in 2018 and that's all there is to it.

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
That's what it comes down to for us; we have to save and get a stack before we embark on any big purchasing. Week to week doesn't work anymore. I am lucky that I have a cabin on my Grandmothers property to rent. Only 300$ a month and now have over 5 gs saved, only been a driver for 7 months. I'll be buying a house in the next year or so and I'll have plenty left in the bank after that dp. Have to go above and beyond in 2018 and that's all there is to it.

I don't care what year anyone was born. With a few exceptions ( some get a brake from their Grandma), every body started out with very little , scraped, saved, sacrificed and put in the time, built a life.

The difference in the Millennials that I see and all other generations is they cry about their depraved condition. They don't take suffering well.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Anybody who says "millenials are lazy" we're able to afford an apartment, car payment and all their bills on a minimum wage job at one point in their life. Millenials have not been afforded the same opportunity to propser as the generations who bash us. And no, I'm no complaining or whining, I'm stating a fact. We got dealt a :censored2: sammy; I have no idea why people are so shocked at millenials unwillingness to play the game.

Don't think I ever worked for minimum wage for more than a few weeks when starting a new job after graduating high school. This idea that minimum wage should be enough to live off of is relatively new, and is the thinking that has caused cost of living to increase as quickly as it has. Instead of clamoring for increased minimum wage, people should focus on improving themselves so they qualify for more than minimum wage.

Don't think I ever worked for minimum wage for more than a few weeks when starting a new job after graduating high school. This idea that minimum wage should be enough to live off of is relatively new, and is the thinking that has caused cost of living to increase as quickly as it has. Instead of clamoring for increased minimum wage, people should focus on improving themselves so they qualify for more than minimum wage.
The reason that there is a clamoring for min wage increase is because the cost of living to wages ratio is inhumane. Sure, there are good jobs out there (like UPS) but there are people in their 30's everywhere around the country providing a true public service that struggle to keep the lights on. As in this thtead just a couple posts ago, the conversation always goes to "stop whining and work harder." I myself simply learned to adapt. I spent years in construction learning a trade and struggling, never got anywhere. UPS is a tough place to work and I'm proud and lucky to be able to handle it. Not everybody can. That's my point; we don't live in humane times. That is the disconnect. I'd like for everybody to be able to adapt to this enviroment vut it's absolutely stupid to think that everybody will. As a society, we are collectively responsible for improving the conditions of living for future generations. If we don't, no one will.
Also, min wage WAS CREATED with the intention of being a livable wage. "Bare sustinence living," which should mean a place to live, food and means for transportation and or communication.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
The reason that there is a clamoring for min wage increase is because the cost of living to wages ratio is inhumane. Sure, there are good jobs out there (like UPS) but there are people in their 30's everywhere around the country providing a true public service that struggle to keep the lights on. As in this thtead just a couple posts ago, the conversation always goes to "stop whining and work harder." I myself simply learned to adapt. I spent years in construction learning a trade and struggling, never got anywhere. UPS is a tough place to work and I'm proud and lucky to be able to handle it. Not everybody can. That's my point; we don't live in humane times. That is the disconnect. I'd like for everybody to be able to adapt to this enviroment vut it's absolutely stupid to think that everybody will. As a society, we are collectively responsible for improving the conditions of living for future generations. If we don't, no one will.
Also, min wage WAS CREATED with the intention of being a livable wage. "Bare sustinence living," which should mean a place to live, food and means for transportation and or communication.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions. Minimum wage was created with good intentions, unfortunately it has played a large part in all of the problems you are lamenting. It's a sacred cow, though, so people who support minimum wage can't really have a reasonable conversation about it, they just want to keep doubling down on it, like UPS does with Orion. How many jobs have been cut because of minimum wage and increases in minimum wage? How many jobs that used to pay over minimum wage now pay minimum wage because no one ever cared about medium wage increases? I don't care if you whine about how crappy life is, I think everyone should be able to vent their frustrations. But once you are done, figure out what the real problems are, and let's start coming up with real solutions.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions. Minimum wage was created with good intentions, unfortunately it has played a large part in all of the problems you are lamenting. It's a sacred cow, though, so people who support minimum wage can't really have a reasonable conversation about it, they just want to keep doubling down on it, like UPS does with Orion. How many jobs have been cut because of minimum wage and increases in minimum wage? How many jobs that used to pay over minimum wage now pay minimum wage because no one ever cared about medium wage increases? I don't care if you whine about how crappy life is, I think everyone should be able to vent their frustrations. But once you are done, figure out what the real problems are, and let's start coming up with real solutions.
No arguements there, although the fact that min wage has negatively impacted wages has more to do with businesses not being willing to sacrifice, just like we are being asked to do. They need to adapt just like workers need to adapt and the government who bails out major corporations needs to do a better job of giving the businesses a fair opportunity to adapt.However, I'm mostly with you. And I'm not denying that there are lots of people in my age group who simply need a large reality check. I'm stuck in the middle on this and probably always will be

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
No arguements there, although the fact that min wage has negatively increased wages has more to do with businesses not being willing to sacrifice, just like we are being asked to do. However, I'm mostly with you. And I'm not denying that there are lots of people in my age group who simply need a large reality check. I'm stuck in the middle on this and probably always will be

I've spent a lot of time thinking about and researching this issue. I still haven't been able to come up with any really good ideas about how to improve the situation. Almost all of the ideas I have include varying degrees of government intervention, and I tend to trust that less than a completely free market, which I don't trust much either. Even if we were to go backwards on minimum wage, I don't trust companies to go backwards on prices, or forwards on skilled labor wages. Like with the oil price volitility that caused price/cost increases across all industries, the prices took a long time to correct even after oil prices stabilized. Mostly they stayed in place until inflation caught up.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
How many times has “the fox” taken half of your wealth? I’m going to surmise at least twice.
I’ve been married 45 years.
The minimum wage was $1.80 when I got out of high school.
I always live well below my means.
1 bedroom apartment was $600 / month.
Bought 3-4 year old cars and drove them for 8 years on average.
Ate out once a week.
Still took my lunch to work even while I was a millionaire.
Saved 25% of my annual salary and invested in stocks.
Took 1 vacation per year even when I had 6 weeks per year.
Worked 2 or 3 jobs until I went driving.
I still worked jobs on the weekend even when friend/T with UPS.

There are millennials who are doing the same thing and they are doing fine.

Laze asses in my youth that didn’t go to college or start their own business struggled then and they are are still struggling.

Being an unmotivated person has always been a struggle and hopefully will be in the future.

rickyb

I have money saved but not for retirement. I had bad luck with health and stopped working for :censored2:ty but better paying jobs

rickyb

Ate out once a week.

Laze asses in my youth that didn’t go to college or start their own business struggled then and they are are still struggling.

Being an unmotivated person has always been a struggle and hopefully will be in the future.
u :censored2:ed up

and the economy is not what it was 45 years ago ...

WTFm8

Ok, let me rephrase
"It was considerably easier to take care of yourself financially"
Cost of living vs. wages. Simple facts.

They also didn't waste a ton of money on electronics, fully loaded vehicles, cell phones/bills, hundreds of TV channels when you probably watch 10 max, internet, huge house, etc.

The problem now is a lot of people don't see those items as luxaries and live above their means then get stuck in 'financing' on credit cards with nice promotions that turn into 20-26+% intrest.

Ancient Alien

UPS Vacation
Ate out once a week.

You're a millionaire because you never really lived. You'd say different because your obsession, what really turns you on is saving, doubling, tripling your portfolio. Constantly fixated on increasing your net worth. You traded a great life for it.

Each individual is different. It worked out for you. I say do whatever makes ya happy. You're more than likely enjoying your money now on things but with a pot belly, gray hair or no hair, fake knees... maybe a false hip too.

Money, security for the future is a good path to plan out but not the only path... especially if you gave up dining out with friends or taking your wife to Italy or the Bahamas in your 20's to 40's.

You're not alone though. I have several millionaire (on paper) friends & family like you.... the bad thing is those millennial son in law or daughter in laws that aren't worth a pinch of sheeeit will attain that inherited wealth they obsessed over their whole lives. A real life catch-22.

No perfect answers.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
You're a millionaire because you never really lived. You'd say different because your obsession, what really turns you on is saving, doubling, tripling your portfolio. Constantly fixated on increasing your net worth. You traded a great life for it.

Each individual is different. It worked out for you. I say do whatever makes ya happy. You're more than likely enjoying your money now on things but with a pot belly, gray hair or no hair, fake knees... maybe a false hip too.

Money, security for the future is a good path to plan out but not the only path... especially if you gave up dining out with friends or taking your wife to Italy or the Bahamas in your 20's to 40's.

You're not alone though. I have several millionaire (on paper) friends & family like you.... the bad thing is those millennial son in law or daughter in laws that aren't worth a pinch of sheeeit will attain that inherited wealth they obsessed over their whole lives. A real life catch-22.

No perfect answers.
I agree with everything you said.
I don’t think my life was great but I had fun playing tennis and listening to music.

Now ... my post was in response to the gist of this thread that millennials did not have the financial opportunity that boomers had.
So while I agree with your post, your response was not within the context of this thread’s premise.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I agree with everything you said.
I don’t think my life was great but I had fun playing tennis and listening to music.

Now ... my post was in response to the gist of this thread that millennials did not have the financial opportunity that boomers had.
So while I agree with your post, your response was not within the context of this thread’s premise.

Did you see his previous post on this thread? Has absolutely nothing to do with the thread. Talk about not understanding context...

Oh my gawd... It's actually proof positive that he's a robot. The thread title mentions garbage, and fit bit posts a link to an article about a driver throwing packages into a dumpster. How much more obvious can it get? It picked out one key word, out of context, and matched it up to an article. If that doean't scream AI, I don't know what does.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
They also didn't waste a ton of money on electronics, fully loaded vehicles, cell phones/bills, hundreds of TV channels when you probably watch 10 max, internet, huge house, etc.

The problem now is a lot of people don't see those items as luxaries and live above their means then get stuck in 'financing' on credit cards with nice promotions that turn into 20-26+% intrest.
Don’t forget the name brand clothes and purses, $250 sneakers and $5 Starbucks coffees.