Getting my break is like pulling teeth.

Booby

Hi y’all, I’m a belt tender, or in other words i baby sit through conveyor belts around my area. I’m required to stay at my station for the whole shift, unless the belt is off or someone is covering for me. The only way for me to communicate with my supervisors is via radio. My hub is severely short staffed after the wage cut. This has led to my supervisors being late with my breaks, if they even give me one at all. I also have to ask 3-4 times before they even respond to me, and I usually just get told they’ll get to it. I can’t anything in the contract regarding part timer breaks, so I don’t know if I can grieve this. Should I just walk off and take my break? Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited:

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
Hi y’all, I’m a belt tender, or in other words i baby sit through conveyor belts around my area. I’m required to stay at my station for the whole shift, unless the belt is off or someone is covering for me. The only way for me to communicate with my supervisors is via radio. My hub is severely short staffed after the wage cut. This has led to my supervisors being late with my breaks, if they even give me one at all. I also have to ask 3-4 times before they even respond to me, and I usually just get told they’ll get to it. I can’t anything in the contract regarding part timer breaks, so I don’t know if I can grieve this. Should I just walk off and take my break? Any is appreciated.
Are you able to pee in a bottle and not be seen?
✊🧔

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Hi y’all, I’m a belt tender, or in other words i baby sit through conveyor belts around my area. I’m required to stay at my station for the whole shift, unless the belt is off or someone is covering for me. The only way for me to communicate with my supervisors is via radio. My hub is severely short staffed after the wage cut. This has led to my supervisors being late with my breaks, if they even give me one at all. I also have to ask 3-4 times before they even respond to me, and I usually just get told they’ll get to it. I can’t anything in the contract regarding part timer breaks, so I don’t know if I can grieve this. Should I just walk off and take my break? Any advice is appreciated.
Tell’em you got to take a piss if they don’t show up in a reasonable amount of time go piss i
If they really need that spot manned at all times it will only happen once. If they don’t who gives a :censored2:

JustDeliverIt

Radio your supe and tell them you need to use the bathroom and take your break. Give them a few minutes to respond. If they don’t, shut the belt down and walk away. Do it once and they will always make sure to at least respond and give you an eta. Nothing brings a supervisor running like a stopped belt.

On the flip side, be gone 10 minutes and not a second longer. Once they know you are serious they will be watching you.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
My hub is severely short staffed after the wage cut....................................
Take two breaks if you want.They cant keep people,all they will do is yell and when they do have fun with it. You are really in the drivers seat on this one

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Radio your supe and tell them you need to use the bathroom and take your break. Give them a few minutes to respond. If they don’t, shut the belt down and walk away. Do it once and they will always make sure to at least respond and give you an eta. Nothing brings a supervisor running like a stopped belt.

On the flip side, be gone 10 minutes and not a second longer. Once they know you are serious they will be watching you.
What a twisted :censored2:ing company to work for. How do we, did we, work for these :censored2:ers?

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
The old belt system with primary sorters and pick offs was better in this regard. There was a 10 minute break everyday where the whole building shut down. Everybody got a break at the same time. Now, with this automated crap they are saying the belt has to be constantly moving and if it has to be turned off then it takes 20 minutes to restart it. To combat this, they stagger breaks. One guy goes on break while another covers his trailer. Problem is, if it’s heavy and they can’t afford to cover you, you don’t get a break. Isn’t technology wonderful?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I had the same issue in my current building when I was a PTer. Go online and look up your local...chances are they have a website and links to the contract to find out the exact language regarding PT breaks. Usually it’s something like “after the first hour and before the end of the third hour.“ Which means if they won’t relieve you when you ask for your break....you have the right to shut the belt and take your break after 3 hrs and 50 min of work. Just make sure you’re back in 10 minutes exactly.

542thruNthru

Whats your local or state? Every place has different language for breaks.

Like most have said. I'd call say I have to pee and then leave. I wouldn't turn off the belt personally but just leave. After that it's someone else's problem.