Getting paid Cover Driver rate when bid for 22.4 position

holdingmybreath

I bid on a 22.4 position at my hub, made it through Integrad and have been driving every day for 2 months now. I got out of my packet a couple weeks ago now and since I started driving my timecard reads TEMP STS CHANGE PAY ACTUAL, when I look in to the specific days on the timecard it says I'm working as a cover driver, and I'm making $30.76. Does anyone know what's going on here? I thought I was supposed to start at $21 as per the contract but I'm happily taking home the extra $10 an hour in the meantime. I don't know if I'm actually full time or what, should I try to get red circled at my current rate and press the issue to insure my FT progression is starting?

freehoodies

Something similar happened to a few new drivers in my center.

Tell your union stewart and your center manager about it, dont risk the millions you are going to make over your career for a little bit of money now.

It usually takes a couple weeks to sort it out and they never asked for any extra money back though which was nice

JustDeliverIt

They can also withdraw the amount they overpayed you by the same rate they overpayed you. So if you are making an extra $10/hr now and they figure it out, they can start deducting at a rate of $10/hr to compensate for the overpayment until you pay it back in full. Had it happen to a guy at my hub about 6/7 years ago. Better to let them know right away.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
They can also withdraw the amount they overpayed you by the same rate they overpayed you. So if you are making an extra $10/hr now and they figure it out, they can start deducting at a rate of $10/hr to compensate for the overpayment until you pay it back in full.

"When an employee notifies the Employer in writing of any ongoing overpayment, the employee’s increasing liability will cease five (5) working days after the date of the written notification. The notification shall be provided to the employee’s immediate supervisor or manager."

Zowert

Yeah let them know immediately so it doesn’t come back to haunt you. You’ll get to keep the overpayment you’ve already made as well as whatever they continue paying until it is sorted out. There was a driver here that somehow got top rate of pay during his first two weeks as an RPCD. I believe he let his shop steward know, who then notified management and it was corrected. Never had to pay the company back for the two weeks of being WAY overpaid.

Sheikyrbouti

Once you drive for 30 days as a cover driver, you lock in that pay rate. That was how it worked for me at least. Locked in the $32/hr then got promoted to 22.4. Only problem now is, I was promoted to rpcd in July and put into progression So now my raises come on my anniversary date instead of august. Have to wait another year before I get a raise.

Overpaid Union Thug

I bid on a 22.4 position at my hub, made it through Integrad and have been driving every day for 2 months now. I got out of my packet a couple weeks ago now and since I started driving my timecard reads TEMP STS CHANGE PAY ACTUAL, when I look in to the specific days on the timecard it says I'm working as a cover driver, and I'm making $30.76. Does anyone know what's going on here? I thought I was supposed to start at $21 as per the contract but I'm happily taking home the extra $10 an hour in the meantime. I don't know if I'm actually full time or what, should I try to get red circled at my current rate and press the issue to insure my FT progression is starting?
Sounds like you are being treated like you were already qualified as a TCD (part time cover driver). In that case you’d be red circled at your TCD rate. Make sure you follow the previous advice in this thread as quickly as possible.

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
tenor.gif