Getting Slammed by Safety

Homer17762

Recently safety (external individual) came into our facility to preform an internal audit and found out that things weren't up to snuff. So far they have been coming up to every employee and asking him or her all the normal "memorized" safety questions. Naturally, safety didn't mention how to keep a safe clean work area. Keep in mind that safety has been in our facility for a good week and a half now. Today at random, safety decided to stage a hazardous spill. A package came down the chute and spilt all over the belt. Everyone did everything by the book and still got the blame. I won't go into too much detail unless you want me to...

My questions, is safety allowed to stage a spill? The safety individual then yelled (actually yelling) at everyone for not handling the situation properly when they followed the proper protocol.

On a side note, this safety individual was lecturing me stating that I cannot secure a conveyer belt that does not have a latch. In my facility, all the buttons for the belts are latches, but have red stop buttons that need to be reset by the individual who stops it at their station to restart the belt. I kept on telling this safety person that when the light is red and after confirming that it is indeed unable to come on that it is secure. Respectively, I was told that it can only be secured up front?? Where is this safety person coming up with this stuff?? or am I wrong? Just to clarify, we were discussing how to properly secure a conveyer belt, not locking out equipment.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
rs_364x165-150909112716-swayze2.gif

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
My questions, is safety allowed to stage a spill?

Yes.

The safety individual then yelled (actually yelling) at everyone for not handling the situation properly when they followed the proper protocol.

Just tell him that you cannot understand him when he is yelling. He now needs to repeat everything he just yelled to you in an understandable tone.

On a side note, this safety individual was lecturing me stating that I cannot secure a conveyer belt that does not have a latch.

True

but have red stop buttons that need to be reset by the individual who stops it at their station to restart the belt.

That is not conveyor securing.

Someone needs to retake the training.

I kept on telling this safety person that when the light is red and after confirming that it is indeed unable to come on that it is secure.

No, it is not.

Respectively, I was told that it can only be secured up front??

You need an S hook, latch and/or tag over that red start button to be secured, which can only be removed by the person that placed it there, else they need to secure it from the main control area.

Where is this safety person coming up with this stuff??

From Corporate.

or am I wrong?

Yes.

Just to clarify, we were discussing how to properly secure a conveyer belt, not locking out equipment.

You still need a "securing" device placed over the red start button letting others know not to start the belt since someone else secured it.

Conveyor Securing.jpg

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Recently safety (external individual) came into our facility to preform an internal audit and found out that things weren't up to snuff. So far they have been coming up to every employee and asking him or her all the normal "memorized" safety questions. Naturally, safety didn't mention how to keep a safe clean work area. Keep in mind that safety has been in our facility for a good week and a half now. Today at random, safety decided to stage a hazardous spill. A package came down the chute and spilt all over the belt. Everyone did everything by the book and still got the blame. I won't go into too much detail unless you want me to...

My questions, is safety allowed to stage a spill? The safety individual then yelled (actually yelling) at everyone for not handling the situation properly when they followed the proper protocol.

On a side note, this safety individual was lecturing me stating that I cannot secure a conveyer belt that does not have a latch. In my facility, all the buttons for the belts are latches, but have red stop buttons that need to be reset by the individual who stops it at their station to restart the belt. I kept on telling this safety person that when the light is red and after confirming that it is indeed unable to come on that it is secure. Respectively, I was told that it can only be secured up front?? Where is this safety person coming up with this stuff?? or am I wrong? Just to clarify, we were discussing how to properly secure a conveyer belt, not locking out equipment.

Was safety wearing a yellow skin tight suit with wings???

clean hairy

When they are done yelling at you, tell them you can't hear anymore as your eardrums are ringing badly!
Also mention you might have suffered partial hearing loss!