Getting The Public to Support Us

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Downright BS

In almost 25 years, I've never met ONE person who thought my delivery job was easy.
Just because we're compensated well doesn't mean we have to kiss Abney's ring !!!!

Also, we are a company that doesn't use taxpayer money to fund our pension.
The public doesn't care how much we make because it doesn't affect their paychecks.
The public will always follow and support the blue-collar man, even if it's brown in this case.
Preach Heff!!!

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Downright BS

In almost 25 years, I've never met ONE person who thought my delivery job was easy.
Just because we're compensated well doesn't mean we have to kiss Abney's ring !!!!

Also, we are a company that doesn't use taxpayer money to fund our pension.
The public doesn't care how much we make because it doesn't affect their paychecks.
The public will always follow and support the blue-collar man, even if it's brown in this case.
All 250k of us could have our family and friends bombard Facebook and social media with our issues and struggles with ups and that would counteract the people who would be badmouthing us on there.... when ups :censored2:ed up Christmas the last few years the people on social media were going after the company, not the drivers...

F

Frankie's Friend

On a recent post on FB concerning the possibility of a strike there were many responses that did not support the driver
Don't think the majority of the public is behind the driver
because they are not

Note that the quote you cited is from a Cornell university professor who previously "worked for many years as an organizer and union representative with the United Woodcutters Association." She might be slightly biased towards unions and Cornell is a liberal-leaning university.

The article also noted "a stoppage likely wouldn't do much damage to the broader economy." Considering UPS handles about 6% of the US GDP and 2% of the global GDP, that statement is really not that accurate.

The world was different in 1997 and e-commerce really did not exist. People will start losing their minds when they can't order crap online and have it arrive in a timely manner. At that point, they may vent their displeasure with the face of UPS.

Bottom line is that a strike would be bad for UPS and therefore all UPS employees as well as the overall economy. IMO, things will get resolved and a contract will be signed and ratified.
Dont change the subject.
It wasnt about the GDP.
It was and is about the public's relationship with "their" ups driver and that was what I was posting in rebuttal to your above ^ post saying the public doesn't support them.
Idk if the post was from the secretary at tdu. The truth of the matter is that ups driver's relationships with their customers is a very valued one in this world...even with the Orion botch.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
Note that the quote you cited is from a Cornell university professor who previously "worked for many years as an organizer and union representative with the United Woodcutters Association." She might be slightly biased towards unions and Cornell is a liberal-leaning university.

The article also noted "a stoppage likely wouldn't do much damage to the broader economy." Considering UPS handles about 6% of the US GDP and 2% of the global GDP, that statement is really not that accurate.

The world was different in 1997 and e-commerce really did not exist. People will start losing their minds when they can't order crap online and have it arrive in a timely manner. At that point, they may vent their displeasure with the face of UPS.

Bottom line is that a strike would be bad for UPS and therefore all UPS employees as well as the overall economy. IMO, things will get resolved and a contract will be signed and ratified.
You must be worried just a little bit...you and the scary dragon lurking on the union forum.

F

Frankie's Friend

IF you think social media plays no part in modern life because it doesn't play a part in yours, you'd be wrong.
Mainstream media: TV, radio, newspaper, still affects multiplied millions of viewers and the WSG impacts the big folks that give us major volume.

rod

Retired 22 years
Stop worrying about what the public thinks. I've said it before. The public don't care if you work until 9 or how many stops you have or if you have any family life at all--all they care about is getting their package.

F

Frankie's Friend

Stop worrying about what the public thinks. I've said it before. The public don't care if you work until 9 or how many stops you have or if you have any family life at all--all they care about is getting their package.
That went to surepost.

dudebro

Mainstream media: TV, radio, newspaper, still affects multiplied millions of viewers and the WSG impacts the big folks that give us major volume.

Yes - all of that is true. Social media also has a large impact. For instance, the most responsive way to complain to an airline is to do so on social media...you'll get a faster response on Twitter than you would by calling them on the phone and trying to navigate the robo-operator.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
You guys either leave out or fail to see the fact is that if we strike it wouldn’t just effect us.....it would bring the entire shipping world to a screeching halt as they attempted to deliver diverted packages. So yeah....a major disruption in e-commerce would shine very negatively down on us.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Oh and btw....your magical narrative that involves the power of social media driven by all the kind words of our families and friends, how’d that work out for us this last Christmas. News flash...Joe customer could care less about us or our company. They care about getting their coffee and 9 foot ladder in the two days they were promised.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Oh and btw....your magical narrative that involves the power of social media driven by all the kind words of our families and friends, how’d that work out for us this last Christmas. News flash...Joe customer could care less about us or our company. They care about getting their coffee and 9 foot ladder in the two days they were promised.
The company dropped the ball not the drivers and the company was the ones who got their ass handed to them on social media....

worldwide

Dont change the subject.
It wasnt about the GDP.
It was and is about the public's relationship with "their" ups driver and that was what I was posting in rebuttal to your above ^ post saying the public doesn't support them.
Idk if the post was from the secretary at tdu. The truth of the matter is that ups driver's relationships with their customers is a very valued one in this world...even with the Orion botch.

I wasn't changing the subject - I was replying to what you posted.

I don't disagree with you about the driver-customer relationship - it's a very valuable thing and an advantage UPS has over the competition.

At the same time, that relationship only goes so far and it's a different world now than in 1997. In the 97 strike, the end-consumer was really not impacted so they had no reason to be upset - they could go to the store and continue to buy their stuff. Now, so many people are conditioned to buy that same stuff online and expect 2 day delivery, no matter what. Going to the store is somehow inconvenient and people today are more self-centered and get upset by being inconvenienced. Will there be some support for drivers? Of course, but I don't think it will be at the same levels as 1997.

F

Frankie's Friend

I wasn't changing the subject - I was replying to what you posted.

I don't disagree with you about the driver-customer relationship - it's a very valuable thing and an advantage UPS has over the competition.

At the same time, that relationship only goes so far and it's a different world now than in 1997. In the 97 strike, the end-consumer was really not impacted so they had no reason to be upset - they could go to the store and continue to buy their stuff. Now, so many people are conditioned to buy that same stuff online and expect 2 day delivery, no matter what. Going to the store is somehow inconvenient and people today are more self-centered and get upset by being inconvenienced. Will there be some support for drivers? Of course, but I don't think it will be at the same levels as 1997.
Sorry, you are wrong.
You dont work here so you dont really know or perceive what driver/customer relationships exists.
I'm not going to keep responding to your fluff.
This is the only point I responded to in your statement(s)....
20180612_073319.jpg

The customers will support us because they know we go the extra mile for them when other factors of our jobs dictate otherwise.
They personally know most of us and trust that we have good judgement on our own labor issues.
If we strike it puts a burden on everyone and drivers at full rate will lose $1000 per week so the public knows that we are serious about serious issues that impact our fellow employees.
They know the company nets $5 billion a year.
A strike will be about greed but not employee greed.

Simple as that.

dudebro

Just type “ups sucks” into google and read all of the customers who are pretty fed up with this company....

That's like going to the hospital and assuming the whole world is sick. Millions of people get their packages every day with no issues, and do not post.

F

Frankie's Friend

That's like going to the hospital and assuming the whole world is sick. Millions of people get their packages every day with no issues, and do not post.
They only told us drivers that we sucked on our routes after the PAS system was implemented.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
But it only takes one time to really cause a firestorm.... does the Christmas debacle from a few years ago come to mind....we were on all the major news channels and thousands of people were not happy on Facebook.... you remember that right?

Tony Q

Address issues they complain about all the time on the internet complaint sites.

"I paid for delivery to my house, and I am told I have to drive across town to pick it up" "I PAID for UPS TO DELIVER IT TO MY HOUSE, not so I would have to drive across town to pick it up!"

"I ordered items to be delivered by UPS, and the Post Office delivered it" "I would have selected Post Office if I wanted them to deliver it, and paid a lower price!"

"My items were delivered at 9PM, used to be I would see deliveries to my house no later than 6PM"

These are the top 3 I have seen, it is all about the company forgetting the days when customers were important.

Bring these issues to the attention of the public as issues of importance to the union (even though customers are not important to the company) I feel we would get much support.
We deliver a lot of E-commerce residential packages. I doubt a strike is in our future, but if it is I think there will be some very angry residential customers who won't be to happy once they stop receiving their instant gratification.