Getting The Public to Support Us

clean hairy

Address issues they complain about all the time on the internet complaint sites.

"I paid for delivery to my house, and I am told I have to drive across town to pick it up" "I PAID for UPS TO DELIVER IT TO MY HOUSE, not so I would have to drive across town to pick it up!"

"I ordered items to be delivered by UPS, and the Post Office delivered it" "I would have selected Post Office if I wanted them to deliver it, and paid a lower price!"

"My items were delivered at 9PM, used to be I would see deliveries to my house no later than 6PM"

These are the top 3 I have seen, it is all about the company forgetting the days when customers were important.

Bring these issues to the attention of the public as issues of importance to the union (even though customers are not important to the company) I feel we would get much support.

Delivered

A Gallup Poll in 1997 found that only 28% of Americans felt they were negatively affected by the interruption in services caused by the walkout at UPS. The rest said they were not affected.

I'm guessing the percentage would be at least 80% today

worldwide

A Gallup Poll in 1997 found that only 28% of Americans felt they were negatively affected by the interruption in services caused by the walkout at UPS. The rest said they were not affected.

I'm guessing the percentage would be at least 80% today

It actually could work against the union now since UPS is delivering a lot more residential now (50% of volume) that in 1997. People could be in favor of the union in 1997 since they really were not impacted by the strike - commercial businesses were primarily impacted in 1997. More people depend on at home delivery now than in 1997 and if a strike were to interrupt the flow of dog food, clothing, and whatever else is home delivered, the public could quickly turn against the union. It's been noted on Brown Café in numerous posts how "lazy" people are getting things shipped to their homes - if that convenience is suddenly interrupted, all those lazy people will get upset and may not feel as much sympathy for the union as they did in 1997.

I suspect that in the end, cooler heads will prevail and a new contract will be signed and life will continue as before.

Box Ox

I suspect that in the end, cooler heads will prevail and a new contract will be signed

In that case:

2dj70on.jpg

Heavy Package

Bring these issues to the attention of the public as issues of importance to the union (even though customers are not important to the company) I feel we would get much support.

Let's just be prepared to give away stuff like candy at a town parade. We will have this shiznit fixed in now time!

c1280x720_17.jpg

Address issues they complain about all the time on the internet complaint sites.

"I paid for delivery to my house, and I am told I have to drive across town to pick it up" "I PAID for UPS TO DELIVER IT TO MY HOUSE, not so I would have to drive across town to pick it up!"

"I ordered items to be delivered by UPS, and the Post Office delivered it" "I would have selected Post Office if I wanted them to deliver it, and paid a lower price!"

"My items were delivered at 9PM, used to be I would see deliveries to my house no later than 6PM"

These are the top 3 I have seen, it is all about the company forgetting the days when customers were important.

If you were home to sign for it you would not have had to drive to pu your pkg at your convenience. Otherwise you would have had to take a day off from work.

The shipper picked how it was shipped.

I haven’t been out past 9:00 this year.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
On a recent post on FB concerning the possibility of a strike there were many responses that did not support the driver
Don't think the majority of the public is behind the driver
because they are not

Box Ox

On a recent post on FB concerning the possibility of a strike there were many responses that did not support the driver
because they are not

Might be right. Lotta the public would probably say, “You drive around all day and drop off little boxes. How hard could it be?” I’ve been similarly asked by friends/family/ladies before.

And it’d now be easier than ever for the Company to push that idea from behind anonymous/fake social media accounts.

The Union really needs to make sure it’s ready to portray the actual lives of UPS employees and not let the Company control the narrative if there is a work stoppage.

F

Frankie's Friend

It actually could work against the union now since UPS is delivering a lot more residential now (50% of volume) that in 1997. People could be in favor of the union in 1997 since they really were not impacted by the strike - commercial businesses were primarily impacted in 1997. More people depend on at home delivery now than in 1997 and if a strike were to interrupt the flow of dog food, clothing, and whatever else is home delivered, the public could quickly turn against the union. It's been noted on Brown Café in numerous posts how "lazy" people are getting things shipped to their homes - if that convenience is suddenly interrupted, all those lazy people will get upset and may not feel as much sympathy for the union as they did in 1997.

I suspect that in the end, cooler heads will prevail and a new contract will be signed and life will continue as before.
All the media we're seeing says the public supports and would support us.
A CBS report posted this morning clearly said it best...
20180611_075715.jpg

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
because they are not
....and I'll say it again, although it doesn't seem to sink in with many, DRIVERS ARE THE MINORITY of UPSers.
Anybody know what percentage of UPS workers that ever realize a top scale, full time job?
I'm betting it's far less than 10%....

The dialogue should be similar to what it was in 1997, "part time America" and pension woes....then we throw in the expanded schedules and combative/dangerous working conditions.

We have received a boost from the various state public sector teachers collective actions, so let's be prepared to harness that sentiment if necessary?

F

Frankie's Friend

....and I'll say it again, although it doesn't seem to sink in with many, DRIVERS ARE THE MINORITY of UPSers.
Anybody know what percentage of UPS workers that ever realize a top scale, full time job?
I'm betting it's far less than 10%....

The dialogue should be similar to what it was in 1997, "part time America" and pension woes....then we throw in the expanded schedules and combative/dangerous working conditions.

We have received a boost from the various state public sector teachers collective actions, so let's be prepared to harness that sentiment if necessary?
The general public sees drivers. They are the face of ups and the glue that keeps our customers using the company instead of the post office casuals and the ever changing faces of FedEx ground be it Home Delivery or the other transient contractor subs.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
because they are not

Downright BS

In almost 25 years, I've never met ONE person who thought my delivery job was easy.
Just because we're compensated well doesn't mean we have to kiss Abney's ring !!!!

Also, we are a company that doesn't use taxpayer money to fund our pension.
The public doesn't care how much we make because it doesn't affect their paychecks.
The public will always follow and support the blue-collar man, even if it's brown in this case.

worldwide

All the media we're seeing says the public supports and would support us.
A CBS report posted this morning clearly said it best...
View attachment 197027

Note that the quote you cited is from a Cornell university professor who previously "worked for many years as an organizer and union representative with the United Woodcutters Association." She might be slightly biased towards unions and Cornell is a liberal-leaning university.

The article also noted "a stoppage likely wouldn't do much damage to the broader economy." Considering UPS handles about 6% of the US GDP and 2% of the global GDP, that statement is really not that accurate.

The world was different in 1997 and e-commerce really did not exist. People will start losing their minds when they can't order crap online and have it arrive in a timely manner. At that point, they may vent their displeasure with the face of UPS.

Bottom line is that a strike would be bad for UPS and therefore all UPS employees as well as the overall economy. IMO, things will get resolved and a contract will be signed and ratified.

Coldworld

60 months and counting

You forget... to the average person they would see the union and ups,as the company, as one in the same...most wouldnt Differentiate between the two....but I still think the drivers would get the support from people tired of corporate America....