Getting transferred to a different hub unwillingly

Number-Nine

Im a trainee trying to make book for the 2nd time. I have about 25 days in. Today I received a call from my supe and was told that they are going to send me off to a different hub to make book and permanently work there after. Said hub is 40 minutes away ( with no traffic) compared to my 15 minute commute now.

I've been in my hub for 5 years and applied to be a driver there. I assume my options are to either disqualify myself or suck it up and make my book. Are these my only real options and Has this happened to anyone else? I find it bizarre.

Last edited:

CoolStoryBro

Talk to stewart. You aren't clear about what is happening.
Are you failing your second attempt at driving?
The other hub probably really sucks if they are taking people from elsewhere. Probably don't have enough drivers. I'd be cautious about moving to a new area.

Box Ox

Im a trainee trying to make book for the 2nd time. I have about 25 days in. Today I received a call from my supe and was told that they are going to send me off to a different hub to make book and permanently work there after. Said hub is 40 minutes away ( with no traffic) compared to my 15 minute commute now.

I've been in my hub for 5 years and applied to be a driver there. I assume my options are to either disqualify myself or suck it up and make my book. Are these my only real options and Has this happened to anyone else? I find it bizarre.

It’s always been my understanding that you can’t be pulled off one route and put onto another mid-qualification. Which is what a transfer would do.

And transferring you based on your anticipated future FT driver status sounds bizarre. I wouldn’t think you’d be fully reclassified as FT until you’ve actually made book.

Now if you’d already officially made book and then they ask the FT driver ranks for volunteers and then pull from the bottom up, that might be legit. But this sounds like a steward/BA issue.

Don’t assume you’ve gotta go just because a sup got on the phone with you and acted like you don’t have a choice without their having written that down.

ManInBrown

Talk to stewart. You aren't clear about what is happening.
Are you failing your second attempt at driving?
The other hub probably really sucks if they are taking people from elsewhere. Probably don't have enough drivers. I'd be cautious about moving to a new area.
This. There’s a building about 45 minutes from me, that NO ONE wants to work at. They ship newbie casuals there because they are desperate. They’ll tell them we’ll hire you, but you’re going to be working here. Then when they get there the center manager hands out warning letters like candy at Halloween to prevent drivers from transferring out.

clean hairy

If openings exist at another hub for drivers, it would seem it should go up for bid and high sebiority drivers would get first chance?
If no drivers wish to transfer, then the hub short on drivers would be hiring off the street?
Of course, might depend on supplement language.

Box Ox

If openings exist at another hub for drivers, it would seem it should go up for bid and high sebiority drivers would get first chance?
If no drivers wish to transfer, then the hub short on drivers would be hiring off the street?
Of course, might depend on supplement language.

The last time my closest center needed permanent FT drivers, there was a voluntary sign up period at my center, and volunteer drivers were granted transfers by seniority. They all lived closer to the other center so it made sense for them to go.

If there hadn’t been enough volunteers, management would have forced from the bottom up.

Sweeper

Where’s the broom?
Yes, there are a few of us that have been watching this thread for an update. I also had a couple of questions for the OP. What supplement are you under? Are the hubs in the same local?
Hey I’m curious what happened to you? Is this legit transfer ? Did you transfer already? Did union help you ?