Give it up for this guy!

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I counting the days to retire. The day I can retire I'm gone.

^^^ This. When I'm eligible, I'm gonna turn and RUN. I won't care if it's the easiest, most cake route. I plan on being retired at 55, All my bills should be LONG paid off, so this place can kiss my big black @$$

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
He is probably drawing his pension and Social Security along with a paycheck. While I admire a person's strong work ethic, I think it's a shame that he can't find a better way to enjoy life. He has certainly earned it.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
First of all mad respect to pop pop for being able to do this job for so long, wow dude. In a way it comes off as being kinda sad, that the man is still working doing this job at that age. You would think that he would have hobbies or activities he would rather do than this job. If he still worked at a job at his age besides this job I would kinda get that. Hes old school and knows nothing else but to work hard and I totally get that. Respect the man for that. Nobody knows why he still works doing this job at his age but its still kinda crazy in my opinion. I know when im 55 im out the door with this crazy :censored2: ball breaking job. Who wants to do or who could physically do this job past a certain age. Id rather play golf,travel or drink some brewhaas with my other retired buddies and actually enjoy life, once im free from my sentence at ALCATRAZ lol.

browned out

Wouldn't he want to get out of Detroit?

He is right next to West Bloomfield Township MI; one of the top wealthiest cities in the US. Look it up. Hell he might even live there. Rumor has it that he has been extremely wealthy for many years due to aggressive purchases of tens of thousands of UPS stock shares before UPS went public.
Whatever makes him happy; to each their own.

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
I believe the decision is personal... If working is what makes him happy then who are we to judge. Each and every one of us has our reasons...

Imagine how much vacation time, money and seniority he must have..and the experiences to share with the newbies from working in the 60's, priceless.:happy-very:

over9five

Staff member
What business is it of anyone's how long this guy is going to work? Instead of crying about him taking some P/Ters spot, how 'bout you just emulate his driving record and wish him well...

rod

Retired 22 years
'Stay home...relax'

Those two don't necessarily agree for everybody.

Retirement has nothing to do with staying home and relaxing. If I stay home too long the wife finds stuff "that we should do" ---thats wife talk for things she wants "you to do" --------so I try to "disappear" as often and as long as possible. I must confess---I'm pretty damn good at it.

kingOFchester

Let the man do what he wants to do. He has earned the right to work, not work, relax naked or bang the seniors on his route. Why the friend should he retire to allow a PT to get a gig driving?

Congrats, and keep doing what you want to do. If you don't like it, piss off.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

He is probably drawing his pension and Social Security along with a paycheck. While I admire a person's strong work ethic, I think it's a shame that he can't find a better way to enjoy life. He has certainly earned it.

While he may be drawing SS, although I tend to doubt it, I know that in our pension fund you cannot draw a pension and a paycheck at the same time.

I believe the decision is personal... If working is what makes him happy then who are we to judge. Each and every one of us has our reasons...

Imagine how much vacation time, money and seniority he must have..and the experiences to share with the newbies from working in the 60's, priceless.:happy-very:

Vacation time in my district must be used or is paid out on or around Dec. 15th----it cannot be carried over to successive years.

I would love to sit down with him, have a cup of coffee and listen to some of his stories.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What business is it of anyone's how long this guy is going to work? Instead of crying about him taking some P/Ters spot, how 'bout you just emulate his driving record and wish him well...

Let the man do what he wants to do. He has earned the right to work, not work, relax naked or bang the seniors on his route. Why the friend should he retire to allow a PT to get a gig driving?

Congrats, and keep doing what you want to do. If you don't like it, piss off.

Hence
the "with all due respect".

As you can see from the responses I am not the only who thinks it is time for him to step aside and enjoy his retirement. My point was the folks at upsers did not want "real" responses, no matter how nicely they were worded.

There are ptimers who would like you guys out now so they can have your spots. You've all earned enough in their eyes. Start packing.

Notretiredyet

How many guys have worked 51yrs without an accident or lost time injury? This record will never be broken, give TC credit for that. He's got more stock than most of the bozos in Atlanta and is one of a handful of people who's been uniform audited by Jim Casey. He pulls in his pension, wages and social security at the same time and you can do the math on what that brings in a month. He chooses to work because, wait for it, he enjoys it and likes his customers. He is a quiet guy with a low key attitude and that's why he's lasted so long.

badpal

How many guys have worked 51yrs without an accident or lost time injury? This record will never be broken, give TC credit for that. He's got more stock than most of the bozos in Atlanta and is one of a handful of people who's been uniform audited by Jim Casey. He pulls in his pension, wages and social security at the same time and you can do the math on what that brings in a month. He chooses to work because, wait for it, he enjoys it and likes his customers. He is a quiet guy with a low key attitude and that's why he's lasted so long.
Yes you boys looking at this all wrong instead of ragging on a guy who loves his work and wanting his job. You should find out if he has any nieces that are single? lol

ups1990

With all due respect, What kind of life is it to still be working at that age? Nobody should have to work that long... regardless of it being easy money. Stay home, be naked, relax!
"With all due respect" usually means someone is going to get disrespected. LOL.