Global warming

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
here's the problem as I see it .
The USA can pass all the laws they want to curb this climate change as they see it .
That is all fine & good .
But who is going to stop some backwater third grade country from continuing and / or increasing their emissions ?
I guess we're the backwater third grade country now that little donnie is presi.

rickyb

this is james hansen, probably my fav climate scientist, on democracy now:

JAMES HANSEN:
Yeah, in fact, there are—there are very clear links. Let me mention three of them. One of them is sea level. Sea level was stable for the last several thousand years. But with the beginning of changes in atmospheric composition, caused by burning fossil fuels mainly, the planet is getting warmer, and sea level has begun to go up, because the ocean is getting warmer and because ice is melting. Well, on the global average, it’s gone up by about 20 centimeters, which is about eight inches; however, it’s not the same every place. Along the East Coast of the United States and the Gulf Coast, it’s larger than the global average. It’s a good foot. So that’s a significant contribution to the magnitude of the storm surges that drive the water onto Houston and the other regions. So that’s one thing.

Another is, the amount of water vapor in the atmosphere is increasing because the atmosphere is getting warmer, and therefore the amount of water being dumped during these storms is larger because of the human, global-made—global warming, human-made global warming, which is now more than 1 degree Celsius. And the simple equations for how much water vapor is in the atmosphere as a function of temperature would be several percent, but, in addition, the distribution of the storms that release the moisture is changing. We’re getting more of the rainfall in extreme large events. So, that’s a significant factor.

And then, the third thing is the strength of storms. Thunderstorms, tornadoes, tropical storms all get their energy from the latent energy of water vapor. And because the atmosphere now holds more water vapor, the strength of those storms can be greater. And so, there are substantial human-made effects on these storms. It’s not debatable now. These are all well-established facts.

rickyb

the whole show is on texas :censored2:show floodings. it has my fav climate scientist, probably my fav canadian naomi klein, and an anarchist at the end who makes some key points about decentralized power

rickyb

lets get off oil

Mike Hudema‏Verified account @MikeHudema 9h9 hours ago

Flooding caused by #Harvey has toppled two oil storage tanks, releasing 30,000 gallons of crude oil: https://buff.ly/2vOseBM #ActOnClimate

DInaN6JVoAE0xR-.jpg

rickyb

we had a record number of air quality warnings in my city. this topped the other 2 records also set in the past 10 years....

BrownArmy

At some point, even climate-disruption skeptics might have to concede that things are warmer now.

Hurricanes: the ocean temps are warmer, so (law of thermodynamics) more water will be pulled up from the oceans and will be dumped on cities.

At what point will the deniers concede that we need to take action?

Forget Al Gore for a moment, forget the dire warnings from insane environmentalists, it's simply correct that the planet is warming.

To dismiss that is to deny reality, and honestly, man-made or not, we need to have some serious discussions about how to address living in a world that's heating up.

Just saying.