Global warming

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Driving through the Sierra Nevada mountains this summer, at the higher elevations

there was constant smoke from controlled burns. You could see it from the road.

It takes out all the dead, dry, and brittle underbrush. Stops forest fires.
Ruins landscape pictures ... unless you say it's fog.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Don't know what the policy is in Canada. But here in the US National Forests they aren't allowed any mechanical equipment in the forests unless life and property are involved. Most fires will have containment lines cut and let it burn. They feel the fires can be beneficial in some areas as well.
I believe that is for Wilderness Areas only with a designation of Level I or Level II management.
I like hiking in these areas because roads are not allowed and the trails are minimal and small.
However, it can get a bit hairy scrambling over fallen trees and using vines to climb up and down creek and riverbeds.
It seems the best waterfalls to photograph are in these areas.

The Wilderness Act, signed into law in 1964, created the National Wilderness Preservation System (NWPS). It empowered Congress to permanently protect undeveloped tracts within our 623 million public acres by making them part of the Wilderness System.

What's the significance? If land inside a National Park or Forest becomes a wilderness area, it must remain free of roads and structures. Motorized equipment and mechanical transport are not permitted.

Last edited:

MAKAVELI

I believe that it for Wilderness Areas only with a designation of Level I or Level II management.
I like hiking in these areas because roads are not allowed and the trails are minimal and small.
However, it can get a bit hairy scrambling over fallen trees and using vines to climb up and down creek and riverbeds.
It seems the best waterfalls to photograph are in these areas.

The Wilderness Act, signed into law in 1964, created the National Wilderness Preservation System (NWPS). It empowered Congress to permanently protect undeveloped tracts within our 623 million public acres by making them part of the Wilderness System.

What's the significance? If land inside a National Park or Forest becomes a wilderness area, it must remain free of roads and structures. Motorized equipment and mechanical transport are not permitted.
Most of the NF in Cali is designated Wilderness.

newfie

21558744_1141703429264330_2878299557031689986_n.jpg

BrownArmy

Anyone notice that RealBrown and TOS disappeared from this forum at almost the exact moment that Trump won the election?

Either they were the same schizophrenic poster, or they were just Putin/Clinton bots sent to influence the BC. The world may never know...

Newfie, however, isn't anywhere near that interesting.

rickyb

Anyone notice that RealBrown and TOS disappeared from this forum at almost the exact moment that Trump won the election?

Either they were the same schizophrenic poster, or they were just Putin/Clinton bots sent to influence the BC. The world may never know...

Newfie, however, isn't anywhere near that interesting.
TOS was throwing up like neo after the election.

rickyb

Haven't had any abnormally high tide here. Can't recall any in 40 years.
look it up. theres plenty of older news articles about them building infrastructure to pump out rising sea levels. and to be clear im not talking about the hurricane.

call the government about it. google hangouts is free.

rickyb

great article, he quotes the pentagon and CIA. my guess is were finished. i have friends who believe in climate change, agree that the animal product industry is one of the major causes of pollution, and yet still eat it all. i have a friend whos ancestors were killed in the holocaust who still watch msnbc. my guess is were not gonna stop climate change. most people at my job just listen to the mind numbing corporate radio. even yours truly is still eating a few milk products like egg whites. probably 99% of people on this forum just complain but dont do anything to change things for the better.

you best believe the president is briefed on climate change by intelligence agencies. they should make it public. but even that wouldnt be enough to wake people from their sleepwalking of political passivity.

The Great Flood - Truthdig: Expert Reporting, Current News, Provocative Columnists

Civilizations over the past 6,000 years have unfailingly squandered their futures through acts of colossal stupidity and hubris. We are probably not an exception. The physical ruins of these empires, including the Mesopotamian, Roman, Mayan and Indus, litter the earth. They elevated, during acute distress, inept and corrupt leaders who channeled anger, fear and dwindling resources into self-defeating wars and vast building projects. The ruling oligarchs, driven by greed and hedonism, retreated into privileged compounds—the Forbidden City, Versailles—and hoarded wealth as their populations endured mounting misery and poverty. The worse it got, the more the people lied to themselves and the more they wanted to be lied to. Reality was too painful to confront. They retreated into what anthropologists call “crisis cults,” which promised the return of the lost world through magical beliefs.

“The most significant characteristic of modern civilization is the sacrifice of the future for the present,” philosopher and psychologist William James wrote, “and all the power of science has been prostituted to this purpose.”

Cities across the globe, including London, Shanghai, Rio de Janeiro, Mumbai, Lagos, Copenhagen, New Orleans, San Francisco, Savannah, Ga., and New York, will become modern-day versions of Atlantis, along with countries such as Bangladesh and the Marshall Islands and large parts of New Zealand and Australia. There are 90 coastal cities in the U.S. that endure chronic flooding, a number that is expected to double in the next two decades. National economies will go into tailspins as wider and wider parts of the globe suffer catastrophic systems breakdown. Central authority and basic services will increasingly be nonexistent. Hundreds of millions of people, desperate for food, water and security, will become climate refugees. Nuclear power plants, including Turkey Point, which is on the edge of Biscayne Bay south of Miami, will face meltdowns, such as the accident that occurred in the Fukushima nuclear plant in Japan after it was destroyed by an earthquake and tsunami. These plants will spew radioactive waste into the sea and air. Exacerbated by disintegration of the polar ice caps, the catastrophes will be too overwhelming to manage. We will enter what James Howard Kunstler calls “the long emergency.” When that happens, our experiment in civilization might approach an end.

“The amount of real estate at risk in New York is mind-boggling: 72,000 buildings worth over $129 billion stand in flood zones today, with thousands more buildings at risk with each foot of sea-level rise,” writes Jeff Goodell. “In addition, New York has a lot of industrial waterfront, where toxic materials and poor communities live in close proximity, as well as a huge amount of underground infrastructure—subways, tunnels, electrical systems. Finally, New York is a sea-level-rise hot spot. Because of changes in ocean dynamics, as well as the fact that the ground beneath the city is sinking as the continent recovers from the last ice age, seas are now rising about 50 percent faster in the New York area than the global average.”

I did not know chickens were big methane gas producers. Go ahead and kill the planet, with your egg whites. You greedy, selfish, non-capitalist...

rickyb

I did not know chickens were big methane gas producers. Go ahead and kill the planet, with your egg whites. You greedy, selfish, non-capitalist...
theres lots of things you dont know.

there are some interesting infographs comparing animal products and how much water or resources it takes to make them.