Global warming

refineryworker05

Something else that republicans are wrong about.

I try to think since 2001, what have republicans gotten right at the national level from a policy standpoint?

The answer quite frankly is nothing. They have gotten nothing right in terms of policy for well over a decade.

Their disbelief in climate change is just a continuation of being wrong.

rod

Retired 22 years
Are these fires going to be included into California's yearly output of carbon emissions ?

I Google a couple statistics: (don't know how true they are--its off the internet so who knows)

One week of California forest fires puts more crap in the air that a year of driving vehicles does.
Up to 40% of all emissions in the world are caused by forest fires

rickyb

I Google a couple statistics: (don't know how true they are--its off the internet so who knows)

One week of California forest fires puts more crap in the air that a year of driving vehicles does.
Up to 40% of all emissions in the world are caused by forest fires
i think they call this a feedback loop when global warming events cause more global warming.

rickyb

reminds me of wall st bailouts:

Back in the United States, climate justice groups are blasting the fossil fuel industry over an effort to secure billions of taxpayer dollars to protect coastal infrastructure from climate change. The plan would create a massive “spine” of seawalls on the Gulf Coast to protect dozens of coastal refineries from encroaching seas and ever more powerful storms. Texas alone has requested $12 billion for the project. In response, Jamie Henn of 350.org tweeted, “Let me get this straight. Big Oil is asking taxpayers to pay for protecting their refineries from sea level rise that they caused by keeping us addicted to oil? Yeah…no.”

democracynow

vantexan

reminds me of wall st bailouts:

Back in the United States, climate justice groups are blasting the fossil fuel industry over an effort to secure billions of taxpayer dollars to protect coastal infrastructure from climate change. The plan would create a massive “spine” of seawalls on the Gulf Coast to protect dozens of coastal refineries from encroaching seas and ever more powerful storms. Texas alone has requested $12 billion for the project. In response, Jamie Henn of 350.org tweeted, “Let me get this straight. Big Oil is asking taxpayers to pay for protecting their refineries from sea level rise that they caused by keeping us addicted to oil? Yeah…no.”

democracynow
Let's say the sea rises and you don't build protective walls. Are we poisoning the ocean with our coastal infrastructure? Build that wall!

vantexan

haha what?

theres gonna b mass immigration with global warming. a little prevention now goes a long way
Yes, and what are they going to leave behind that gets flooded? Millions of buildings and who knows what kind of chemicals. Build that wall!

Last edited:

vantexan

Do you have a problem with taxpayer dollars paying for sea walls to protect private oil companies?
Those oil companies are the base of the economy there. But I digress. If you don't build a seawall all along the coast, especially in Florida, you'll have all kinds of things dissolving in the water. That's worldwide too, not just the U.S.. Assuming it actually happens.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
If you don't build a seawall all along the coast, especially in Florida, you'll have all kinds of things dissolving in the water.
I agree, that would be a violation of environmental laws if the oil companies let that happen.

The question is do you have a problem with taxpayer money being used to build seawalls for private oil companies or not?

vantexan

I agree, that would be a violation of environmental laws if the oil companies let that happen.

The question is do you have a problem with taxpayer money being used to build seawalls for private oil companies or not?
Taxpayer money builds sports stadiums so why not seawalls? You want to target oil companies, go ahead, but the problem is the entire coast, not just their infrastructure.

rickyb

Taxpayer money builds sports stadiums so why not seawalls? You want to target oil companies, go ahead, but the problem is the entire coast, not just their infrastructure.
so u believe in global warming? or sea level rise?

or u just believe in corp welfare for stadiums and oil companies?

vantexan

so u believe in gloabal warming? or sea level rise?
I really don't know Ricky. There's a very good chance we're entering a solar grand minimum. Last time that happened there was a Little Ice Age from 1645-1715. If so we're going to have huge problems feeding over 7 billion people. Not to mention Canada will be even colder.

rickyb

I really don't know Ricky. There's a very good chance we're entering a solar grand minimum. Last time that happened there was a Little Ice Age from 1645-1715. If so we're going to have huge problems feeding over 7 billion people. Not to mention Canada will be even colder.
fair enough saying u dont know.

if the whole world is getting colder then why would sea levels rise?