Gm still is Government Motors

brett636

FYI...all properties of this site belongs to Cheryl, that includes your thread. Now if you want to launch an anti-GM campaign, on Cheryl's site, go right ahead, but when called out, please spare everybody your self righteous smugness or go post on a separate right wing blog and enjoy a one-sided array of circle jerk of reassurances. It's bad enough Lue C Fer, BaBa and a few other Rt Wing jobbers here, have nothing better to do but pollute "BC's current events" with such bias, trivial, copy and paste hate threads, that IMO, do such a disservice to BC, by diluting quality content, and the healthy debate and participation that's built in with it....

Its funny to watch you defend personal property rights only when it suits you. Your such a good little Marxist!

One question that should be answered....Is GM better off than last year ?????

Well lets see, have they turned a profit? No
Are they paying back taxpayer money with taxpayer money? Yes
Are they investing money into plants creating jobs when they aren't showing a profit to support it? Yes
Do they continue to make some of the worst cars on the road according to consumer magazines and auto industry analysts? Yes

I would say GM is acting more like a government organization rather than a private one as they are spending money they technically don't have in order to appear like they are a healthy company when they are not. Their products are ranked at the lowest quality levels in their industry all the while they tout the quality of their vehicles through their slogan "May the best car win". So to answer your question NO, GM is not better off than it was last year because it has adopted financial principles that only work at the government level where turning a profit isn't necessary, but appealing to the dumb masses is. I just hope that their pensions don't go bust while my grandfather is still alive as he put in 38 years at GM for it and the PBGC won't give him what was originally promised.

moreluck

golden ticket member
It's all "fair & balanced" . Your side, diesel, is not the only side. You need some balance and we are happy to provide it. Can't have everybody entering the 'rapture'. Some of us need to stay grounded.

klein

Für Meno :)
Well, GM was big in the news here this week. Not only have they called back all laid-off workers, but also hired several hundred more.
Last weekend on the "Drivers Show" (new car driving, testing, and judging), they tested the new Buick. They loved it.
Btw, they also mentioned Buick was the most relaible car on the planet, next is Jaguar (that was hard to believe, that jags are up there).

I might end up with GM shares, when the government unloads them. GM is making a major comeback.
And yes, I know they haven't made a profit yet, but by next year it might be possible.
Pretty hard to make a profit if you spend 984 Million on upgrading and modernizing all facilities.
It will come with a payback.
DS would even know more, since all those jobs and new jobs created by GM are in his neck of the woods.
They are back to 3 full shifts, and then sum !

brett636

Government Motors will probably make a profit equal to that of the post office :knockedout:

Thats essentially what they are turning into. Poor quality products versus its non government owned competition, overbloated and outdated supply chain and manufacturing capacities, propaganda in its own advertisements to try to counter the other two points, and finally spending money it hasn't earned in order try to sooth the people into believing it is going in the right direction. Yup, thats a clear sign of a government owned venture to me.

brett636

Well, GM was big in the news here this week. Not only have they called back all laid-off workers, but also hired several hundred more.
Last weekend on the "Drivers Show" (new car driving, testing, and judging), they tested the new Buick. They loved it.
Btw, they also mentioned Buick was the most relaible car on the planet, next is Jaguar (that was hard to believe, that jags are up there).

I might end up with GM shares, when the government unloads them. GM is making a major comeback.
And yes, I know they haven't made a profit yet, but by next year it might be possible.
Pretty hard to make a profit if you spend 984 Million on upgrading and modernizing all facilities.
DS would even know more, since all those jobs and new jobs created by GM are in his neck of the woods.

You would be better off buying Ford. They have been turning a profit for close to a year now, and their stock price has skyrocketed because of it. GM can't turn a profit because its too busy trying to make people think its doing the right thing by hiring back laid off workers when it can't afford to. private > government owned

klein

You would be better off buying Ford. They have been turning a profit for close to a year now, and their stock price has skyrocketed because of it. GM can't turn a profit because its too busy trying to make people think its doing the right thing by hiring back laid off workers when it can't afford to. private > government owned

Governments hopeful of recouping GM investment

TORONTO -- A $235-million spending initiative by GM Canada, less than a year after the country's largest carmaker came close to collapse, has reinforced hopes that the North American auto sector is getting back on track and that Canadian governments will recoup their bailout money some day. more: http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bu...ent-fords-profit-up-shares-down-92291464.html

brett636

Governments hopeful of recouping GM investment

TORONTO -- A $235-million spending initiative by GM Canada, less than a year after the country's largest carmaker came close to collapse, has reinforced hopes that the North American auto sector is getting back on track and that Canadian governments will recoup their bailout money some day. more: http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bu...ent-fords-profit-up-shares-down-92291464.html

You can't recoup bailout money on a company which refuses to do what is necessary to turn a profit like its non government owned competition has been doing for sometime now.

Ford sells most vehicles in February

Ford posts quarterly profit, raises 2010 outlook

Why can't GM do this? Because its a government organization, that's why.

klein

You can't recoup bailout money on a company which refuses to do what is necessary to turn a profit like its non government owned competition has been doing for sometime now.

Ford sells most vehicles in February

Ford posts quarterly profit, raises 2010 outlook

Why can't GM do this? Because its a government organization, that's why.

All points towards GM pulling a profit later this year.
Google that, you'll see.

Lue C Fur

Evil member
FYI...all properties of this site belongs to Cheryl, that includes your thread. Now if you want to launch an anti-GM campaign, on Cheryl's site, go right ahead, but when called out, please spare everybody your self righteous smugness or go post on a separate right wing blog and enjoy a one-sided array of circle jerk of reassurances. It's bad enough Lue C Fer, BaBa and a few other Rt Wing jobbers here, have nothing better to do but pollute "BC's current events" with such bias, trivial, copy and paste hate threads, that IMO, do such a disservice to BC, by diluting quality content, and the healthy debate and participation that's built in with it...

Translation: Cheryl, i dont like other peoples opinions that dont match my Lefty liberal one...please make them stop. I dont want anyone to hear the truth...just the MSM lies and my hero Chris Mathews and the Messiah. Please make them stop....waaaaaaaa!!! Waaaaaaa!!!!!:please:

Lue C Fur

Evil member
GM announced the repayment of $8.1 billion in loans from the U.S. and Canadian governments last week. In TV advertising, CEO Ed Whitacre tells viewers GM has "repaid our government loan in full, with interest, five years ahead of the original schedule. But there's still more to do."
The ads don't mention that the majority of the $52 billion in federal aid to GM was converted into a 61 percent government ownership stake. GM has said it hopes to conduct a public stock offering later this year to let taxpayers recoup its investment.
GM paid off its loan from a $16 billion escrow fund created by the government as part of the company's bankruptcy last year. The fund was developed to give GM some cushion in case the economy tumbled but required the automaker to seek permission from the Treasury Department before spending it.
Treasury told Grassley in the letter it was "public knowledge that GM would use these specific funds to repay the Treasury and Canadian loans, if it did not otherwise need them for expenses."
Grassley called it "an elaborate TARP money shuffle" amounting to "taking TARP money out of one account to pay back TARP loans in another account."
The Congressional Budget Office estimates taxpayers will lose about $36 billion on the bailouts of automakers.

diesel96

Its funny to watch you defend personal property rights only when it suits you. Your such a good little Marxist!

Well lets see, have they turned a profit? No
Are they paying back taxpayer money with taxpayer money? Yes
Are they investing money into plants creating jobs when they aren't showing a profit to support it? Yes
Do they continue to make some of the worst cars on the road according to consumer magazines and auto industry analysts? Yes

I would say GM is acting more like a government organization rather than a private one as they are spending money they technically don't have in order to appear like they are a healthy company when they are not. Their products are ranked at the lowest quality levels in their industry all the while they tout the quality of their vehicles through their slogan "May the best car win". So to answer your question NO, GM is not better off than it was last year because it has adopted financial principles that only work at the government level where turning a profit isn't necessary, but appealing to the dumb masses is. I just hope that their pensions don't go bust while my grandfather is still alive as he put in 38 years at GM for it and the PBGC won't give him what was originally promised.

Here’s something just knawing at ya.... a government success story.
Here’s something even more new.... a success story out of Detroit.
It was only a year ago, remember, Obama made the tough decision to bail out America’s auto industry ... a decision for which he was pummeled by everybody.
But now the whole world knows, except right wing Obama haters, he did the right thing.
Not only that, GM announced it was re-opening several closed plants, re-hiring laid-off workers, and rolling out several new models. Including the electric VOLT, which will hit show rooms this October, a year ahead of schedule.
For GM, for President Obama, for workers, and for the American public, this is a huge victory – and further proof that the American economy is on its way back.
Time to admit you naysayers were dead-wrong. Say it loud and clear: No doubt about it, the auto industry bail-out worked!
That’s my parting shot for today.

Lue C Fur

Evil member
Here’s something just knawing at ya.... a government success story.
This is a typical govt suckkkksess story: The Congressional Budget Office estimates taxpayers will lose about $36 billion on the bailouts of automakers.
Here’s something even more new.... a success story out of Detroit.
It was only a year ago, remember, Obama made the tough decision to bail out America’s auto industry ... a decision for which he was pummeled by everybody.
So you were bashing him too....good for you.
But now the whole world knows, except right wing Obama haters, he did the right thing.
And the whole world knows: the majority of the $52 billion in federal aid to GM was converted into a 61 percent government ownership stake. Hence the name "Goverment Motors".
Not only that, GM announced it was re-opening several closed plants, re-hiring laid-off workers, and rolling out several new models. Including the electric VOLT, which will hit show rooms this October, a year ahead of schedule.
Im sure people will be lining up to buy it with the 40k price tag and the big govt tax incentives needed to move it...yup a real winner there.
For GM, for President Obama, for workers, and for the American public, this is a huge victory – and further proof that the American economy is on its way back.
Your Kool-aid video is at the end waiting for you.:wink2:
Time to admit you naysayers were dead-wrong. Say it loud and clear: No doubt about it, the auto industry bail-out worked!
It worked for Ford...since they did not take a bail out and that is the real success story...GO FORD!!!!
That’s my parting shot for today.
Next time you might want to use a real gun instead of that nerf pistol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87ejcYmbB2U&feature=related

I might end up with GM shares, when the government unloads them. GM has to go public first. GM is making a major comeback.
Pretty hard to make a profit if you spend 984 Million on upgrading and modernizing all facilities. Many companies do, and still make a profit. Typically companies post the profit then take charges against it. BTW, has GM posted any of their earnings since going bankrupt?

klein

No matter what you guys think. I'm sticking with Diesel on this one. GM success story.
I don't care what the US Budget office forecasts. They probably added the Cash for Clunkers program into the loss.

Ontario and Canadian governments in the other hand, think they'll break even or even turn a profit.

If the Volt is 40K, so be it. Savings of roughly $100 on fuel a month, that can go towards the higher monthly payments.
Now, with the Gulf Oil Fiasco, and potentially no more offshore drilling, the price of oil is only going to be heading up.
The Volt, might just have the perfect timing !

Oh, and yes, the first financial results of GM are due mid May , I believe.
Ofcourse, a loss predicted, from 1 time costs.... next quarter could already be a profit, so they say.

No matter what you guys think. I'm sticking with Diesel on this one. GM success story.
I don't care what the US Budget office forecasts. They probably added the Cash for Clunkers program into the loss.

Ontario and Canadian governments in the other hand, think they'll break even or even turn a profit.

If the Volt is 40K, so be it. Savings of roughly $100 on fuel a month, that can go towards the higher monthly payments.
Now, with the Gulf Oil Fiasco, and potentially no more offshore drilling, the price of oil is only going to be heading up.

Ofcourse, a loss predicted, from 1 time costs.... next quarter could already be a profit, so they say.

Oil is going up, it will be interesting to see if obaba demonizes companies again over it.

Lue C Fur

Evil member
They are part of the Obama admin...so sure they could be liars and fudging numbers to make thier messiah look bad. LMAO!!!!
There ya go thinking again
You should go put a deposit on one of them. :wink2:
Yup, so they say.