Go into Management from 22.4

rocket man

I know many people here are not a fan of management but had a question in regards to it.
I was hired on as 22.4 and the way that I am looking at things, there is really not much incentive to move most 22.4s into RPCD at all. Majority of the swing drivers at my hub have been there a few years and are still a few years out from being able to get their own route. Chances are that 22.4s will be topped out for a few years on lower tier before being able to move over to RPCD which obviously benefits the company greatly.

I was told with my prior experience there is a high likelihood I can get fast tracked to an on road supervisor if I wanted to take that on. I think it is a no brained at this point but was curious as to what others would do especially if they were a 22.4.
Go to go to supervision scabby

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I know many people here are not a fan of management but had a question in regards to it.
I was hired on as 22.4 and the way that I am looking at things, there is really not much incentive to move most 22.4s into RPCD at all. Majority of the swing drivers at my hub have been there a few years and are still a few years out from being able to get their own route. Chances are that 22.4s will be topped out for a few years on lower tier before being able to move over to RPCD which obviously benefits the company greatly.

I was told with my prior experience there is a high likelihood I can get fast tracked to an on road supervisor if I wanted to take that on. I think it is a no brained at this point but was curious as to what others would do especially if they were a 22.4.
No brainer which way?

sandwich

The resident gearhead
What’s an ORM?
ADD387C7-A869-49F8-BCEF-810736ADC4CD.gif

PeakMode

Arrive Peak Leave
Depends on how you value time spent with family with your threshold of mental and physical stress. There is no right decision but a personal choice you have to make. If offer a management position, it usually is not offer twice.

Alamo Joe

I’ve been with the company 20 years. There is no incentive to go into management from what I have seen. Many on road sups have come through my center in those years. Most move laterally in the company and never advance. I will say, you can climb the ladder at UPS but have to be willing pretty much what upper management needs. To me,the money is not there for it. I’m surprised they have never approached potential management with solid offers regarding pay,bonuses,etc. Most on roads I see complain about how they shouldn’t have went into management. You get no respect either if your one who did a 30 day driver packet and all of the sudden your my boss and tell me what to do.

FedGT

I’ve been with the company 20 years. There is no incentive to go into management from what I have seen. Many on road sups have come through my center in those years. Most move laterally in the company and never advance. I will say, you can climb the ladder at UPS but have to be willing pretty much what upper management needs. To me,the money is not there for it. I’m surprised they have never approached potential management with solid offers regarding pay,bonuses,etc. Most on roads I see complain about how they shouldn’t have went into management. You get no respect either if your one who did a 30 day driver packet and all of the sudden your my boss and tell me what to do.

That was one of my concerns. Veterans that have been doing this for multiple decades blowing you off since you’re a rookie. Almost seems destined to fail.
Probably should have came on the board before accepting the position to ask some things. Between all the :censored2: that hr claimed were possible (the biggest one was transferring across the country which was a main selling point for me) and what is looking to be realistic, I probably would have taken one of the other jobs.

Alamo Joe

Doesn’t mean you shot yourself in the foot. My advice since your in already is earn the respect of drivers. Not hard to do if your honest. If you say your gonna do something,then do it. If you can’t be upfront with them. There’s a give and take in my opinion. As an on road you will walk a thin line between what your manager expects and still being respected by drivers in your group. You don’t have to earn everyone respect because that would most likely never happen. Don’t bend the rules be firm but be fair.

FedGT

Doesn’t mean you shot yourself in the foot. My advice since your in already is earn the respect of drivers. Not hard to do if your honest. If you say your gonna do something,then do it. If you can’t be upfront with them. There’s a give and take in my opinion. As an on road you will walk a thin line between what your manager expects and still being respected by drivers in your group. You don’t have to earn everyone respect because that would most likely never happen. Don’t bend the rules be firm but be fair.

Sorry, I meant accepting the 22.4 position. I am pretty confident with all the info and the hours I won’t be taking the on road supervisor position.