Godspeed

Thebrownblob

Not my problem, it’s yours.
30 years there, retired in 2020.
Grown ups are required from both sides.
Hope it gets sorted out, but every year….UPS gets more prepared to take the hit and dump the union.
Well, you’ve been retired since 2020 and it’s clear you don’t have any idea what you’re talking about. UPS gets more prepared? How do you figure? The building I work in went “automated” about three years ago and we’ve double the amount of employees because the automation is a joke, and requires even more human interaction. The company burns through employees both full-time and part-time at rates that are stunning, If you’re going to come here and panic, please have a clue what you’re talking about. outside of some of the rhetoric that we haven’t heard for a while these contract negotiations are going pretty much like they always do.

Zowert

You never forget who the picket line crossers were back in 97 . Save a few $ guys you don't want that title .
There was one old timer I heard that crossed the picket line in 97 and was forgiven. His wife was terminally ill and had to keep his insurance, so he crossed and worked just enough to keep it active. Even though he had a good reason there were some guys that didn’t like it, but what can you do..

Sacrificial Lamb

Package Shepherd
Well, you’ve been retired since 2020 and it’s clear you don’t have any idea what you’re talking about. UPS gets more prepared? How do you figure? The building I work in went “automated” about three years ago and we’ve double the amount of employees because the automation is a joke, and requires even more human interaction. The company burns through employees both full-time and part-time at rates that are stunning, If you’re going to come here and panic, please have a clue what you’re talking about. outside of some of the rhetoric that we haven’t heard for a while these contract negotiations are going pretty much like they always do.
Automated hubs are just an excuse to progress discipline for misloads. The times where I’ve caught packages coming down the chutes in smalls and the thing doesn’t display it as a misload is astounding. Then management has the nerve to say that it’s my job to catch it when I can’t see every package come down the lines. I can’t be everywhere at once, but I’ll make them pay by sorting each and every bag if they dare try to bring discipline.

GenericUsername

There was one old timer I heard that crossed the picket line in 97 and was forgiven. His wife was terminally ill and had to keep his insurance, so he crossed and worked just enough to keep it active. Even though he had a good reason there were some guys that didn’t like it, but what can you do..
Those guys are collosal A-holes. He obviously didn't want to if he worked the bare minimum.

The only way we're considering crossing in our building is in the event a hurricane is coming this way when we strike. Otherwise we're all planning on BBQs, DJ equipment, etc. One of the guys is even bringing his RV up to the building so we can sit inside every so often to cool off and use the bathroom without being subjected to a port-a-john.

GenericUsername

What does a hurricane have to do with crossing the line? Do not cross it for any reason.
Getting supplies to people. Our center runs over 120 routes per day. That's a lot of area to cover and a lot of customers who would be ordering necessities. During Ian, you name it, I was delivering it. Generators, water, food, AC units... All things that are vital for our daily life when there's no power. Plus, prior to a hurricane, all of the local hospices/VA/etc will send out medication before things get crazy to ensure the people have their meds.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Getting supplies to people. Our center runs over 120 routes per day. That's a lot of area to cover and a lot of customers who would be ordering necessities. During Ian, you name it, I was delivering it. Generators, water, food, AC units... All things that are vital for our daily life when there's no power. Plus, prior to a hurricane, all of the local hospices/VA/etc will send out medication before things get crazy to ensure the people have their meds.
The supplies won’t get to your building. Other parts of the country won’t be shipping anything.

GenericUsername

The supplies won’t get to your building. Other parts of the country won’t be shipping anything.
As true as that is for the stuff out there, we'll still end up receiving the Amazon trailer drops plus the local medications/etc. While I'm 100% behind walking the line, I'm also about making sure the people in the community are taken care of as well. There's multiple people on just my route that are dependent on shippers to get their stuff since they can't travel due to physical restrictions.

UnionStrong

As true as that is for the stuff out there, we'll still end up receiving the Amazon trailer drops plus the local medications/etc. While I'm 100% behind walking the line, I'm also about making sure the people in the community are taken care of as well. There's multiple people on just my route that are dependent on shippers to get their stuff since they can't travel due to physical restrictions.
If the supplies get there, then git er’ done.

I GOT ONE MORE

Just checking 🤔🤔.
Just checking 🤔🤔. Management?
Package and feeder.

There was no EDD, no pal labels, no diads, no power steering, no automatics, etc…….
so ANYONE that believes the company hasn’t been preparing and the union can’t ever be dumped has intellectual shortcomings.

O'Brien and UPS should realize there are two parties. The truth lies somewhere in the middle.

If O'brien wants to punish the company, then all should realize they may be looking for a new job. A strike with company intent to break from the union would decimate UPS, but would not destroy it.
It would take a decade to come back, but without a union to deal with, the company would rebuild easily without $50/hr, pension contributions, insurance premiums, etc......

Their employee overhead would plummet and would be rebuilt without all the headaches and drama every 5 years.
The would become just like any other at-will employer.

Jobs, like the ones UPS has provided for decades, don't grow on trees. Try to find another with such benefits.
I worked there for 30 years, and thankful for the check direct deposited now, in my account each month.
Most, if not all, active employees don't think about their long distance future.
One day you will, maybe sooner than you think, if O'Brien is more than just talk.

And no, pretty sure my pension is safe, to a degree. In order for UPS to breakaway from the union.......there is a law requiring a buyout from an employer with active retirees to maintain some or all of their benefit (pension withdrawal liability.....ERISA Secs. 4203, 4205, 4211, 4216, 4219 and 4220), this would be a big number for UPS. But then they would be done with any more contributions,
and no help for active employees going forward.

O'Brien and UPS should hammer everything out before Aug 1, both sides require adults in the room. I hope O'Brien is just puffing his chest out and rattling the cage, but he needs to stop.
Ron Carey took the UPS Teamsters into a strike in 1997 for two weeks. Teamsters who were there remember, UPS remembers more and learned from it.
Remember what you have, don't forget what you can lose.

Package and feeder.

There was no EDD, no pal labels, no diads, no power steering, no automatics, etc…….
so ANYONE that believes the company hasn’t been preparing and the union can’t ever be dumped has intellectual shortcomings.

O'Brien and UPS should realize there are two parties. The truth lies somewhere in the middle.

If O'brien wants to punish the company, then all should realize they may be looking for a new job. A strike with company intent to break from the union would decimate UPS, but would not destroy it.
It would take a decade to come back, but without a union to deal with, the company would rebuild easily without $50/hr, pension contributions, insurance premiums, etc......

Their employee overhead would plummet and would be rebuilt without all the headaches and drama every 5 years.

Jobs, like the ones UPS has provided for decades, don't grow on trees. Try to find another with such benefits.
I worked there for 30 years, and thankful for the check direct deposited now, in my account each month.
Most, if not all, active employees don't think about their long distance future.
One day you will, maybe sooner than you think, if O'Brien is more than just talk.

And no, pretty sure my pension is safe, to a degree. In order for UPS to breakaway from the union.......there is a law requiring a buyout from an employer with active retirees to maintain some or all of their benefit (pension withdrawal liability.....ERISA Secs. 4203, 4205, 4211, 4216, 4219 and 4220), this would be a big number for UPS. But then they would be done with any more contributions,

O'Brien and UPS should hammer everything out before Aug 1, both sides require adults in the room. I hope O'Brien is just puffing his chest out and rattling the cage, but he needs to stop.
Ron Carey took the UPS Teamsters into a strike in 1997 for two weeks. Teamsters who were there remember, UPS remembers more and learned from it.
Again...I ask...how do you suppose the company can just push the union out?

I GOT ONE MORE

Again...I ask...how do you suppose the company can just push the union out?
First paragraph sums it up, sport.
All those things makes the job easier.
I mean, the diads even have turn by turn nav.
The rest of my post has some insights, but one must be receptive to possibilities. You seem to be ‘just’ a ups guy.

Brownwind

Package and feeder.

Appreciate the response. Enjoy retirement.

UnionStrong

Package and feeder.

K