Going back

massbrown

I am returning to work on Monday after being on worker's comp for over two years. I had back surgery and my doctor finaly gave me the okay. Any thoughts on what I should expect when I return?

DS

Fenderbender
Its like riding a bike,it will all come back to you.
But you gotta be real careful with those over 70's,
go slow and work safe.Good to have you back.

no more than 9

"Livin' the Dream"
Did the same thing, been back almost two years now. Everything been ok, don't go crazy. I use the 2-wheeler for everything, don't be a hero!

no more than 9

"Livin' the Dream"
How right you are! However, when I returned things remained the same. I'm not as young as I used to be. The sup is some what sympathetic to my situation.

upsdude

I went through that a few years ago, 22 months for my injury. I felt like an outsider for a while, new employees, new sups. The first couple weeks I’d look at my watch and think about what was on TV at that moment. :happy2:

It takes a while to get back into shape. Good Luck! You’ll make it! :happy-very:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have been very fortunate in that I have had no extended periods of time off due to injury/surgery. I cannot imagine 2 years of inactivity and then coming back and being expected to go full bore from day one. Good luck to you and be careful.

WyoBrown

I feel your anxiety MB, Im returning Monday after 2 months workers comp for a broken leg that occurred during the probation period. I have 21 days to run to the finish line, there will be no taking it slow for me. Im sure you're going to be fine and isnt it great you have that job to go back to! Go in gratitude with grace :wink2:

Fishbulb

holy sh** on a shingle! 2 years?!? wow man, thats a long time. May I ask what kind of surgery it was? Just curious because I also had back surgery for a herniated disc & the doctor has been pushing me to go back but I dont feel quite ready. It's been 6 months now & I still have pain down my leg & muscle spasms all day & nite. Mentally, I'm dying to go back to work. The weather is gorgeous & sitting home I'm just getting fatter by the second but if its painful to walk up & down the stairs how can I expect myself to lift packages for 10 hours a day, get in & out of the truck 300 times a day & step on the clutch of a truck from 1970? Anyways, good luck to you & just take it at your own pace, they're only boxes.

rod

Retired 22 years
Wonder what the record is for being off on injury and then returning to work. I know of one driver that was off for 4+ years and went back.

massbrown

It was a discectomy L4-L5 and L5-S1. The surgery was in November. It took about 4 months for me to be free from the nerve pain down my leg. My back is still stiff when I wake up but once I get moving it feels good.

helenofcalifornia

I know of a driver off 5 years, came back when a better job was up for bid. Nice guy too. I hope, MB, that you have been working out and doing both cardio and strength training. Be prepared for added workload (stops) since the economy is down. Yeah, if the economy sucks you wouldn't think they would be putting more stops on the truck, but they are. Our center is getting hammered even though there are layoffs. Go figure. Good luck.

Fishbulb

It was a discectomy L4-L5 and L5-S1. The surgery was in November. It took about 4 months for me to be free from the nerve pain down my leg. My back is still stiff when I wake up but once I get moving it feels good.

almost the exact same thing i had done. Discectomy L5/S1. Its been 6 months & my back feels much better but i still have the pain running down my leg(sciatic nerve). It takes me about an hour to fall asleep at nite because im tossing & turning trying to find a good position where its least painful. Back is a little stiff in the mornings or on cold or rainy days but after some stretching its manageable. I had a 2nd MRI done & it showed some residual herniation.

ol'browneye

Not to hijack the thread with a story about me but I have had 2 discectomies. The first one at L5-S1 for ruptured disc. I went back to work about 16 weeks after surgery. The second one, 4 years after the first one, was for rupture at L5-S1 again and bulge at L4-L5. Went back to work about 14 weeks after that one. That was about 4 and a half years ago. My right butt cheek, hamstring area and the outside of my right foot including my two small toes on my right foot are still numb and the sciatic still bothers me some when I sit too long or over exert my back.

You can make it, just protect yourself! Use that handrail religiously. Use that 2 wheeler whenever necessary, sometimes when it's not necessary. Clear that walk path, don't misstep on holes or curbs - that can really wrench your back! Get used to a slower pace. Do everything a little bit more deliberately-think about what you are doing and about to do! Use those legs to lift, don't bend. If they get on you, tell them it's all in the name of working safely! Don't use your back as an excuse, they will say "you can't perform the job".

You'll be okay. Just remember, it's your back!

Good Luck!

Bad Gas!

Good advice fellas....Another thing you might do is get there early a couple of days and work with your preloader.These preloaders are extremely hard workers and in some cases undertrained.If you can get a stabalized load your day will surely go more smooth..Of course you already know this from before..