Going into feeder in progression.

What'dyabringmetoday???

It was either in PA or NJ. Supposedly.... didn't flip them.

Now the yard guys want in on the action.

29873302_10156171792273480_1816643909586129378_o.jpg
I heard it was Saddlebrook driver. I also heard it was due to forgetting to set brakes and got out of tractor. Also heard he jumped onto step and hung on while this occurred. Of course- you know how stories can change. Thankfully, from what I heard, nobody was injured.

If it actually occurred the way I was told, it is unfortunate he wasn't able to remove emergency air line. I suppose by that point, he wasn't really thinking about that.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Lots of money but no life.

That's one of the biggest misnomers of feeders. I work nights, and see my family way more than I did in package car. And I don't have to struggle to go to a doctor's appointment or get something done during the day.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
That's one of the biggest misnomers of feeders. I work nights, and see my family way more than I did in package car. And I don't have to struggle to go to a doctor's appointment or get something done during the day.
Of course you work nights! You are Dracula!

Dracula

I'm sure you can guess my position.

Report everything, and let the chips fall where they may.

It's easier to defend a warning letter.... than a discharge.

-Bug-

Yep. You never know who is, or was watching, damage or not. Accidents are easier to deal with than failing to report one.

Dracula

It may be from a video.

It looks like they're stopped since the brake lights are on. I would be curious how this ended...did they back it up or bring in a wrecker.

You give the keys to someone who wouldn't do this, and he/she will put in reverse to undo this mess.

Dracula

I'm not sure where that happened, the intersection doesn't look familiar.

Drivers need to watch their turns when turning the opposite direction the road is graded. I go to one building that is off a busy road. I watched a driver rush that turn to beat traffic and the outside wheel of his trailer was coming off the ground. Once the outer drive tire is lower than the inside drive tire the front of the trailer starts leaning downhill. Add in acceleration and it wouldn't be hard to roll a top heavy trailer.

I'll be charitable, and hope this was a new driver. I'll tell you exactly what happened here. The driver, for whatever reason, decided he needed to do a U-turn in an impossible angle. It's one thing to go down a road of no return. It's another to think you can simply drive out of it.

If this guy couldn't turn a set around, he has to do it the hard way: breaking up his set to get going the other way. Yes, it costs him an extra half-hour, and is embarrassing, but that's how you avoid the wall of shame, which now includes the internet.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
I've only been a package driver for 1.5 years. I'm still in progression and at the $18.xx pay rate. I have 1.5 years left till I get to full scale based on the 3 year progression. Buuut I recently got the call to enter Feeder and I'm wondering if that'll immediately put me at full scale?
I know package and feeder pay scales are slightly different but I don't know much more than that, any knowledge out there?
I know this is probably a very rare issue considering UPS hasn't hired feeder drivers this young out of packages before.
How have you been a driver for 1.5 years and still at 18.xx (18.75)?? File a grievance immediately because you’re getting screwed.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
You give the keys to someone who wouldn't do this, and he/she will put in reverse to undo this mess.
you think they could have just backed up then went on their way without causing any damage or would the equipment have been jacked some way...?

Dracula

you think they could have just backed up then went on their way without causing any damage or would the equipment have been jacked some way...?

Yes. You can clearly see what the driver did. He got himself in a tight spot, and thought he could U-Turn his way out of it. As the picture shows, he didn't have room for it, and when he tried, he was so tight, he tipped the back ends off the wheels.

Simple solution, really. Crank the wheel all the way to the left and back up. That would put the wheels back down.

After that, you have a few solutions. If you can't drive down the road the driver was heading, you could either drive up that wrong way road (if it was quick and got you out of this fix, or, you could drop your back box, and turn around the front box and dolly, and park them in the direction you need to go, and disconnect them. Then, you would have to go back, hook up to the back box, and drop that behind the front box and dolly and disconnect it. Then, hook back up to the front box and dolly, and snap them back together, and be heading in the right direction.

This whole thing is going to cost you you 45-60 minutes, which, yes, is gonna cost you time. Time that may seem to put you in a deep hole. But it keeps you from calling in an accident, and is a lot quicker than waiting for management to come out, taking pictures and raking you over the coals. And in the end, that is what they're going to have to do anyway.

Worst case scenario, if you haven't damaged the equipment, is you can call dispatch and say you got off on the wrong road, and had to take a big detour to get back on route. Say you're gonna be late, and there's nothing you can do about it. In most ways, you wouldn't be lying, even if they pulled up your telemetry. Breaking down, and hooking back up to prevent damage is your best bet. They could whine about the wrong turn, but they could say nothing about taking the big precautions to prevent damaging the trailers.

Feeders isn't rocket surgery, but it does take a little awareness of your surroundings. This looks like a residential road. And in feeders, you better be damn sure you know where you're going if you're driving on a small road. If you don't know where you're at, and you're on some narrow, perhaps residential road, you're best bet is to stop, and pull up Google maps and figure out where you're at, and how you can get out.

Like I said, awareness. You're not driving a package car. Backing up a set of doubles is only for the most experienced drivers. Drivers more experienced than me. So you need to know your drive route before you keep driving.

Like I said a few posts earlier, I don't want to beat up on this driver because this has ROOKIE written all of it. I can't even remember all of the rookie mistakes I made. I'll say this, since there are pictures, at least this guy stopped and called it in. And that was absolutely the right thing to do. Hopefully the more experienced drivers can talk to this driver and iron out where his mistakes were, and how to avoid it in the future.

That's what the rest of us are here for.