Going off area with Telematics?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Fixing things like this may take a little perseverence. Elevating the issue can usually fix them very quickly.

Well, the only management person I have any access to is the PDS sup. I know that he is sick of dealing with the problem; I know that he is sick of schlepping the boxes himself; and according to him he has repeatedly emailed and requested holy dispensation from the High Priest of I.E to fix the problem, but to no avail. I suppose my PDS could be lying to me...but I dont think so.

pretzel_man

Well, the only management person I have any access to is the PDS sup. I know that he is sick of dealing with the problem; I know that he is sick of schlepping the boxes himself; and according to him he has repeatedly emailed and requested holy dispensation from the High Priest of I.E to fix the problem, but to no avail. I suppose my PDS could be lying to me...but I dont think so.

Looks like its time for him to email the IE person's boss.

pretzel_man

I am not sure if the manager understands, but it would sure be nice if he got involved (but only if knows PAS).

I think its an easy conversation....

"I could reduce 9 miles a day if your person would get off their butt and make a quick fix."

This is not a request to do a total re-loop. As it was stated, its a sequence in the total wrong loop.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I am not sure if the manager understands, but it would sure be nice if he got involved (but only if knows PAS).

At my center, the manager does understand and still nothing gets done. Can't count the times one of us has tried to nicely sit down with center manager and request simple route enhancements that would greatly benefit the customers. The palpable lack of concern is annoying to say the least. Especially, when your customers ask me why nothing is being done. It appears like I don't care. That is the part I abhor.:biting:

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I remember when we first went on PAS/EDD and had lots a problems with new streets. IE was the only people that could add them into the system for some reason, and our IE lady wouldn't do it for six months. Finally, an ex supervisor of mine visited the building who had the code to get into the system. He added all the new streets (about 50 of them), and a lot of service failures finally ended. Before the Preload supervisors had to run up and down the belts asking drivers where such and such street was. For a while, these packages would come down the belt with the route number wrote on them with a crayon. Then somehow some of the streets were added in, but kept being PALed to the 8000 Section. It was ridiculous for a while and I had to deal with quite a few mad consignees who had trouble getting deliveries.

packageguy

Our center just started looking over the loops, our PAS person changed it so many times he forgot what's what. we have drivers going 17 miles out of the way, for 9 stops. then brought in office next day for over allowed, we win all the time open and shut case, once they find out that PAS person screw up.

menotyou

bella amicizia
When PAS/EDD was implemented at our center, it was 2007. PAS/Dispatch sup was great. She had everything almost perfect. Air went where it should for the customer, not where the ground went just because it was easy. In the 3 years since ******(yahoo dispatcher that I hate) has been doing the job, he has managed to screw every loop. Why this is tolerated, I have no clue. Complaints have been made directly to DM when he comes to visit. (He comes a lot-not for us) Nothing has changed. In our building, we don't care who you are, if you have a tie on, you are candy for kids-basically. "Who are you?" "Can you fix this for us, cuz no one else will?" "Do you know when this will get fixed?" " My customers are furious because......" I don't think the "ties" like coming here, because we don't run from them. Just the opposite.

They had it right, then they promoted the yahoo. We have lost customers directly based on him and his lack of ability.

soberups

I think its an easy conversation....

"I could reduce 9 miles a day if your person would get off their butt and make a quick fix."

This is not a request to do a total re-loop. As it was stated, its a sequence in the total wrong loop.

Left unanswered, however, is the underlying question. Why the paranoia? Why the obsession with "security"? Why is so much power and authority over a basic administrative function being hoarded in the hands of an absent and totally unaccountable IE person? And what does this sort of corporate gridlock and dysfunction bode for future "enhancements" to PAS such as ORIAN?

pretzel_man

Left unanswered, however, is the underlying question. Why the paranoia? Why the obsession with "security"? Why is so much power and authority over a basic administrative function being hoarded in the hands of an absent and totally unaccountable IE person? And what does this sort of corporate gridlock and dysfunction bode for future "enhancements" to PAS such as ORIAN?

As I said, it used to be open for editing. That was abused.

Yes, it allowed simple things like you mentioned to be fixed. It also ruined good information.

I agree that it should have security. A PDs could ruin underlying information by making edits.

The right answer is to get the sequence put in the correct loop. Then the PDS can edit to his / her heart's content.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.

Yes, it allowed simple things like you mentioned to be fixed. It also ruined good information.

I agree that it should have security. A PDs could ruin underlying information by making edits.

The right answer is to get the sequence put in the correct loop. Then the PDS can edit to his / her heart's content.

OK, so the process was abused in the past, so I can see the reasoning for some kind of safeguard. Why not a master "undo" protocol that creates edit points on a daily or weekly basis allowing complete freedom to experiment with actual real world situations while maintaining the integrity of the complete system. So say if a PT Supe makes an error, the center manager or DM or IE can later go back to such and such a date on the old plans and reset and try again?

As for the ease of them just emailing someone upstream, I have heard the same stories from my on car and center manager as related to issues that need upstream approval before implementation can take place. Add to that also with the downsizing of mgmt staff last year, there are less mgmt covering more tasks.

My DM goes on vacay, my center manager gets the DM's workload, my oncar gets the center manager's workload, and the PT supes get.....well you know what they get. They really don't have time (or expertise?) to accomplish anything that saves time in the long run if it costs time today.

They are too busy doing the work of the PT hourlies to make the sort numbers look acceptable, while keeping up on the oncar's workload while he runs misloads from the PT supes who just get more and more frustrated.

soberups

If you dont trust or respect your own management people enough to allow them to make correct dispatch and loop detail decisions....then how do you expect the drivers to trust or respect them?

One of many the downsides to the rigid, top-heavy, metrics-obsessed style of micromanagement that we are currently saddled with is that, as a driver, it can be pretty difficult for me to respect or place any faith in a "supervisor" who has been reduced to little more than a puppet by the corporation that he is acting as a mouthpiece for. I'm not really talking to him; I'm having to talk through him to whoever is pulling his strings.

You cant solve a problem or make a difference if you arent even allowed to make a decision.

pretzel_man

If you dont trust or respect your own management people enough to allow them to make correct dispatch and loop detail decisions....then how do you expect the drivers to trust or respect them?

One of many the downsides to the rigid, top-heavy, metrics-obsessed style of micromanagement that we are currently saddled with is that, as a driver, it can be pretty difficult for me to respect or place any faith in a "supervisor" who has been reduced to little more than a puppet by the corporation that he is acting as a mouthpiece for. I'm not really talking to him; I'm having to talk through him to whoever is pulling his strings.

You cant solve a problem or make a difference if you arent even allowed to make a decision.

You have done a good job of taking a simple management failure in your location to the extreme.....

The decisions can be made. The PDS is not responsible for assigning loops and units. That is and always was the responsibility of the IE department.

Today, your PDS can put that sequence in the correct route and the correct place. I've said that multiple times. It will take about 5 minutes to do for each plan he / she has. I do not know why this has failed to happen, but its not because of micromanagment or lack of decision making authority.

There is a failure here for sure.... The PDS should be able to have the IE log in from their office and make the fix. Its easy.

You have spread this problem up to a corporate wide mandate when its simply one or two people failing to do their job.

You are doing exactly what you complain about in management.....

You have taken a local failure and made a broadbrush statement about all of UPS based on this example.

That is just like a poor manager who sees one driver acting inappropriately and decides to hound all drivers.

I won't play your example game. I could easily add threads talking about the latest example I found of a driver cheating, or lying, or acting improperly and blame it on the union mentality. I won't lock in an opinion and then look for examples to support it.

There is no question that a failure is occuring here. It is not you or any driver's fault. I blam your PDS, the center manager, and the IE rep. Between them they can fix this in one day. (This is assuming it is a simple clerical mistake as you said)

soberups

You have done a good job of taking a simple management failure in your location to the extreme....You have spread this problem up to a corporate wide mandate when its simply one or two people failing to do their job....You are doing exactly what you complain about in management.....You have taken a local failure and made a broadbrush statement about all of UPS based on this example.

This "simple and local" failure is yet another example of the chronic, ongoing, wasteful problems we have with a wide range of issues.... PAS, EDD, time studies, stops-per-car quotas, flawed buildings or equipment, flawed policies or procedures, etc. etc.

What these issues all have in common...is that there is no hope of ever getting them fixed because the "management" people who must deal with them every day lack the authority to solve them. The authority and resources needed to resolve these issues is tightly controlled and guarded by the absentee landlords from IE.

I could spend an entire week describing to you in detail the ridiculous "band-aids" that hold our operation together, and the wasteful hoops we must constantly jump through in order to meet silly quotas, generate meaningless metrics, or work around otherwise insignificant obstacles. The scenario I described with the street in the wrong unit is nothing compared to some of the other issues we face every day. And my building is far from unique in that regard.

We pole-vault over mouse turds and spend $500 to save a dime, for no other reason than some IE guy in another state says we have to....and none of our local "management" people have the authority to do anything other than pretend that it makes sense.

brownman15

This "simple and local" failure is yet another example of the chronic, ongoing, wasteful problems we have with a wide range of issues.... PAS, EDD, time studies, stops-per-car quotas, flawed buildings or equipment, flawed policies or procedures, etc. etc.

What these issues all have in common...is that there is no hope of ever getting them fixed because the "management" people who must deal with them every day lack the authority to solve them. The authority and resources needed to resolve these issues is tightly controlled and guarded by the absentee landlords from IE.

I could spend an entire week describing to you in detail the ridiculous "band-aids" that hold our operation together, and the wasteful hoops we must constantly jump through in order to meet silly quotas, generate meaningless metrics, or work around otherwise insignificant obstacles. The scenario I described with the street in the wrong unit is nothing compared to some of the other issues we face every day. And my building is far from unique in that regard.

We pole-vault over mouse turds and spend $500 to save a dime, for no other reason than some IE guy in another state says we have to....and none of our local "management" people have the authority to do anything other than pretend that it makes sense.

its the same in my building to

pretzel_man

You are right... There are a thousand examples of problems. They exist on both the management and hourly side.

Those poor examples, band aids, and inefficiencies are dwarfed by the good examples. There are about 15 million of those good examples every day.

Imperfect people using imperfect systems does not point to chronic insurmantable issues. That's just life. Nothing is perfect, and we can and should get better.

Back to the example you raised. Two management people can fix this in minutes. No unrealistic demands. No quotas. Just do the job.

menotyou

bella amicizia
We may just be individuals complaining about our dispatches, but we are individuals that come from various sized buildings, centers, hubs, ect. We are stating that these problems exist where we work. It isn't an individual problem. It is a building problem. It just happens that some of us come to Brown Cafe to complain instead of the local watering hole. At my center, 30-35 people are affected by these 'bad dispatches'. How many others? I can only imagine. So, forgive me if I offend, but it is very hard for me to understand how there can be so many examples of good, when all I hear about is all the bad. I realize there probably are good examples, but I doubt HIGHLY they dwarf the bad. Again, sorry if I offend.