Going Wireless

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I'm wondering what device is best to use to go hands-free. I have been looking at several models of LG Tones and Apple Airpods. Airpods look like a better product but I would be too afraid of losing them. And what exactly is company policy regarding using them? They tell us no distracted driving and I understand that. My state recently passed a hands-free law and we will get fined if seen touching any kind of device. My personal car has blue-tooth but my pickup truck doesn't. What works best?

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
I'm wondering what device is best to use to go hands-free. I have been looking at several models of LG Tones and Apple Airpods. Airpods look like a better product but I would be too afraid of losing them. And what exactly is company policy regarding using them? They tell us no distracted driving and I understand that. My state recently passed a hands-free law and we will get fined if seen touching any kind of device. My personal car has blue-tooth but my pickup truck doesn't. What works best?
I rehabs been reprehended and refuse to use my phone pot work purposes now. Call Siam’s so for a meet point. Nope. Call soand so to take stops. Nope. So and so is trying to call you. Nope. You don’t want us using our phones , than I shure as hell ain’t using mine to fix your friend ups.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I rehabs been reprehended and refuse to use my phone pot work purposes now. Call Siam’s so for a meet point. Nope. Call soand so to take stops. Nope. So and so is trying to call you. Nope. You don’t want us using our phones , than I shure as hell ain’t using mine to fix your friend ups.

What?

Gumby post that for you?

Box Ox

Woooo, somebody's having a good night!

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I see a lot of our Feeder Drivers wearing those, I'm looking for something less bulky.
the smaller ones may work fine in an office but if you want people to understand you in a noisy environment like a package car it's the best choice, the noise cancellation is top notch.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

Do you want them for work, or just your pickup?

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
I just got AirPods a month ago. So far I love them. The case charges one while another is in my ear. They have auto ear detection, so if you take them out of your ear, music pauses and phone calls switch over to handset. Also, if you only wear one, all music comes through, not just left/right sides. I know what you mean about losing them, but if they are either in the case or in your ear, it’s not an issue. You can double tap for the AirPod for Siri, or set them up how you like. Management has seen me with one, not both in and not said a word.

Edit: I will admit, at high speed in a package car, with doors open, phone calls can be a bit hard to hear, but music seems to work just fine.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Do you want them for work, or just your pickup?
Both. I really don't talk on the phone a lot at all. I usually make my personal phones calls while on my lunch hour. I don't have to be talking to somebody all the time like some people do. I'm looking more for convenience than anything else. I don't listen to music while driving my package car.

I bought myself a Mercedes C-300 4Matic for my 60th birthday a couple of months ago so thats my first experience with total handsfree driving. I love it, I just haven't figured out all the voice command stuff yet.

Last edited:

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Both. I really don't talk on the phone a lot at all. I usually make my personal phones calls while on my lunch hour. I don't have to be talking to somebody all the time like some people do. I'm looking more for convenience than anything else. I don't listen to music while driving my package car.

I bought myself a Mercedes C-300 4Matic for my 60th birthday a couple of months ago so thats my first experience with total handsfree driving. I love it, I just haven't figured out all the voice command stuff yet.

If you just need/want Bluetooth in your pickup, you could look into replacing the head unit. Pretty inexpensive these days.

LeftRS1

One of those Millennials Drivers
Look for Sweat proof ones for obvious reasons. I have been using LG Tones since the start of this year. Just had them die so there could be higher quality out there but I enjoyed the Tones. Battery lasts about two days

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Look for Sweat proof ones for obvious reasons. I have been using LG Tones since the start of this year. Just had them die so there could be higher quality out there but I enjoyed the Tones. Battery lasts about two days

I have been looking at the LG Active Tones because they are sweat/water resistant. I read reviews a lot and some people love Tones and some people have reliability problems with them.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I have both LG Tones and Apple AirPods. I use the LG at work, battery life is great, can last 2ish days without a charge if you’re using them half the day. Make sure you buy from a Brick and Morter store as they are also the most counterfeited Bluetooth headsets on the market.

I use my AirPods with jogging and doing yard work, the thing that holds them back is battery life. The pods can be used around 2-5hours, depending if you’re listening music or on the phone. They recharge fairly quickly from the case, which itself holds about 5 full charges. I know guys at work who use them but have also had them pop out of their ears.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I dumped Verizon and went to Cricket today and that made me go looking at headsets today. I was paying $258 a month for four smart phones, two had payments left. I paid those off and one of my sons came off my plan. Cricket runs off AT&T's network and my downloads are faster. $90 for three phones, insurance is $6 extra compared to Verizon's $13 per phone. Added DirectTV streaming and cut out Xfinity Cable TV using a Roku for $30 a month. So now I'm saving $250 a month off phone and tv bills. I changed my car insurance also and saved a good $120 a month there.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
insurance is $6 extra compared to Verizon's $13 per phone. Added DirectTV streaming and cut out Xfinity Cable TV using a Roku for $30 a month. So now I'm saving $250 a month off phone and tv bills.
Barclays Uber Visa offers free phone insurance if you pay your bill with it (plus 4% cash back on restaurants/fast food)... So does Wells Fargo Cashwise.

DirectTVNow is great, especially since they added DVR.