Golf Cart "Drivers"

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
The Company is paying golf cart drivers as "helpers", instead of as "seasonal drivers" here....

....at a significant discount.

Is this an anomaly?

~Bbbl ~™

A

Article 3

The Company is paying golf cart drivers as "helpers", instead of as "seasonal drivers" here....

Is this an anomaly?

~Bbbl ~™
It's garbage. They take a commercial license plate and they link these drivers to our diad board to conceal the issue.
The carts aren't over 10,000# gvw so they don't require the driver to pass a dot physical.
Any locals getting traction on their grievances on this fraud?

They are paid less than PVDs but are more at risk as their vehicles are more vulnerable to elements and the guy bearing down on them on the road

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
It's garbage. They take a commercial license plate and they link these drivers to our diad board to conceal the issue.
The carts aren't over 10,000# gvw so they don't require the driver to pass a dot physical.
Any locals getting traction on their grievances on this fraud?

They are paid less than PVDs but are more at risk as their vehicles are more vulnerable to elements and the guy bearing down on them on the road
on area helpers aren't supposed to be linked to your diad at all

542thruNthru

Is this an anomaly?

~Bbbl ~™

That's how it's been here for years. I believe a couple years ago our local demanded that they be paid more then just a average helper so they make more then $10 here now. I don't know how much off hand but I'll be sure to ask.

JustAnotherSup

I believe a couple years ago our local demanded that they be paid more then just a average helper so they make more then $10 here now. I don't know how much off hand but I'll be sure to ask.

If only our local would make such a demand. I wish we could pay golf cart helpers more. The smart golf cart helpers realize that they will get more hours on average over the duration of peak, safer working conditions, easier work, and possibly a free lunch by being an on car helper instead. And the problem is that you want your smart helpers on a golf cart and not a package car, because they're easier to train, need a lot less monitoring/management/assistance with DIAD issues and basic policy like "yes, you really need to get a signature on that signature required package", generally a lot safer, and so on and so forth. It means that less Helper Coordinator hours need to be spent micromanaging golf cart helpers, and that time can be used on other more valuable tasks that benefit drivers and the center. It also means that drivers are less likely to get the dreaded "we have a POD with a gazillion stops left, go clean it up" message.

A

Article 3

The smart golf cart helpers realize that they will get more hours on average over the duration of peak, safer working conditions, easier work, and possibly a free lunch by being an on car helper instead. And the problem is that you want your smart helpers on a golf cart and not a package car, because they're easier to train, need a lot less monitoring/management/assistance with DIAD issues and basic policy like "yes, you really need to get a signature on that signature required package", generally a lot safer, and so on.
They also call the driver on his cell phone instead of management to ask those questions, making it harder for the driver to "see" what exactly the problem/question entails to walk them thru it.

Safer? They're froze to death and stuck in adverse conditions on road in a toy vehicle giving them NO protection if they encounter another vehicle who may not see their little golf cart/ranger/whatever and back into them or even worse.

Many walked off the job last year and quit...frustrated...and when the (multiple) drivers were sent to the cart to retrieve the diad board they often found 20-40 stops still not delivered, many businesses and premium service packages just abandoned...at 19:30.

It's a scam to pay an employee for driving a vehicle (a driver) cheaper hourly wage.

It's all about your stock. It is NOT about "safety".:bsbullf:

A

Article 3

And the problem is that you want your smart helpers on a golf cart and not a package car, because they're easier to train, need a lot less monitoring/management/assistance with DIAD issues and basic policy like "yes, you really need to get a signature on that signature required package", generally a lot safer, and so on and so forth. It means that less Helper Coordinator hours need to be spent micromanaging golf cart helpers
"And the problem is" that you get angry customers calling in about their pkgs left out in the rain (when there's a full roll of DR bags in the cart) and at the front door in a busy street location.
IMG_20171117_055007.jpg

This was from Wednesday. A box of electronics soaked.
If the driver was there it wouldn't have happened.

A

Article 3

@Bubblehead , why would the company pay a PVD more $ on the hour than a regular UPS employee working in adverse weather conditions AND without heat in their VEHICLE.?
Does the company feel justified in this and the IBT doesn't fight for them to be compensated at the same wage that seasonal drivers receive?
Freezing their butts off should pay at least $5-10/hr more than a seasonal driver gets who drives a truck with heat and protection from public traffic and vicious dogs.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

Is this an anomaly?

~Bbbl ~™

Do the golf carts have license plates and operate on public streets ?

Or, are they on private property.... such as apt or condo complexes ?

-Bug-

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Plates, no.

Public streets, yes.

~Bbbl~™

New for 2017....

"For a golf cart to be street-legal under Ohio law, the cart must include seat belts, a windshield, a rear-view mirror, a horn, turn signals and head lights and brake lights. Cart drivers also are required to follow the same rules as other drivers. For example, DUI laws and insurance laws apply to anyone driving a golf cart on public roads. Cart drivers must be licensed drivers."

Ohio Law: Golf Carts on the Roadway

If they are required to have, and maintain a drivers license....

Sounds like they are seasonal drivers.

I would take this on.

-Bug-

Faceplanted

This has been going on in my local for years.

The ba called the news and they came out and did an investigation. Code enforcement has also been called.

Yet years later, we still are using golf cart helpers. Some delivering around 80-100 stops.

A

Article 3

Do the golf carts have license plates and operate on public streets ?

Or, are they on private property.... such as apt or condo complexes ?

-Bug-
New for 2017....

"For a golf cart to be street-legal under Ohio law, the cart must include seat belts, a windshield, a rear-view mirror, a horn, turn signals and head lights and brake lights. Cart drivers also are required to follow the same rules as other drivers. For example, DUI laws and insurance laws apply to anyone driving a golf cart on public roads. Cart drivers must be licensed drivers."

I would take this on.

-Bug-

Ours are plated. All of them.
I haven't check to see if they're commercial plates. Passenger plates are not allowed.

Each Township or municipality has their own jurisdiction over golf carts. I was told by the chief of police in one town that they are absolutely not allowed on any State Road.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Ours are plated. All of them.
I haven't check to see if they're commercial plates. Passenger plates are not allowed.

Each Township or municipality has their own jurisdiction over golf carts. I was told by the chief of police in one town that they are absolutely not allowed on any State Road.
Do they have PUCO numbers?

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
New for 2017....

I would take this on.

-Bug-

who would even bother with OAH in ohio