Good bye to the Friday after Thanksgiving

710 steward

There is no way the company can just change our holidays. It's in black and white. Would have to be voted on.

That's why I asked the question my friend. Ours isn't settled and that's the talk in my center right now. You guys under the National know what is your contract and that language will be the same for us. My sources are good sources but this still did not make sense to me.

Oak

I can't find anything in the National Master regarding Holidays.

In the southern supplement, for example, it says:

.....seniority employees required to work on any of the above named holidays shall receive double time the regular rate for al hours worked with a guarantee of eight hours for full time employees, or ten hours for employees on a work week of four ten hour days.

slantnosechevy

Slant

It's a question. The sups in my building got the email today stating what I said in my first post. I asked the question to see what happened in the National and if there is any truth to the rumor. Flynn loves you. I know it in my heart. You are a weak minded fool who needs to be lead around because you need to belong. Go pound sand somewhere.

I know right where I'll pound that sand, but your head is already there.

slantnosechevy

That's why I asked the question my friend. Ours isn't settled and that's the talk in my center right now. You guys under the National know what is your contract and that language will be the same for us. My sources are good sources but this still did not make sense to me.

Your sources...hahaha a guy with 4 years in at UPS and already been fired once for leaving trailor doors open from Toledo to South Bend. The same guy who's favorite words are "well at YRC we did it this way" Brilliant !!!

brownIEman

Just to clarify, it appears this has nothing to do with negotiations. UPS has unilaterally decided to make that holiday a full ground operation day. It has ALWAYS been an operating day, but it has in the past been an air only special operating day. So, in a center with say 60 daily routes, you would see around 15-20 routes sent out with air deliveries only and air pickups for UPS stores, letter boxes, and special requests. The top seniority drivers would be offered the 15-20 spots, then the bottom seniority would be forced in to fill whatever was not met. Those who came in would get whatever working holiday rate is in their supplement, plus the day of holiday pay that everyone gets. Now, UPS is saying it will be a full operating special operating day. All the same rule apply except that the number needed will be closer to the full 60.
Good news for the lower senior guys who wanted the extra work in centers where higher senior drivers usually come in, bad news for the middle seniority guys who do not want the work in other centers.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Just to clarify, it appears this has nothing to do with negotiations. UPS has unilaterally decided to make that holiday a full ground operation day. It has ALWAYS been an operating day, but it has in the past been an air only special operating day. So, in a center with say 60 daily routes, you would see around 15-20 routes sent out with air deliveries only and air pickups for UPS stores, letter boxes, and special requests. The top seniority drivers would be offered the 15-20 spots, then the bottom seniority would be forced in to fill whatever was not met. Those who came in would get whatever working holiday rate is in their supplement, plus the day of holiday pay that everyone gets. Now, UPS is saying it will be a full operating special operating day. All the same rule apply except that the number needed will be closer to the full 60.
Good news for the lower senior guys who wanted the extra work in centers where higher senior drivers usually come in, bad news for the middle seniority guys who do not want the work in other centers.

Much better in-depth explanation than mine.
Concise statements are not always better.

gopack

I just went to upsers.com and making Friday after Thanksgiving a full service delivery/pickups is mentioned in the national pcm

710 steward

Your sources...hahaha a guy with 4 years in at UPS and already been fired once for leaving trailor doors open from Toledo to South Bend. The same guy who's favorite words are "well at YRC we did it this way" Brilliant !!!

Slant

What in world are you talking about? Listen to me, get some help.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
On UPSers.com, click my workspace tab, corporate PCMs, then click "Friday after Thanksgiving Operations (as soon as possible)" :

{{Text edited out by cheryl. Please don't copy and paste text copied from upsers.com.}}

1) Our contract does not set which days UPS will be open for business, which days ground is delivered, or which holidays we get off. Our contract(s) only list which days are designated holidays and how we shall be paid for them and how we shall be paid if we work on the holiday. Our contract has provisions for us being paid to work on any holiday.
2) The company is not required to bargain with the union on which days we will be open for business.

Last edited by a moderator:
BY who?

this isnt something that is put up for the membership. If this is true, it would have had to have been approved by the IBT and not the membership.

TOS.

Says who?

As it's been pointed out above and outlined in the PCM, it used to be a partial service day. Now it's all hands on deck. If you want to be po'd then blame the likes of Amazon.

On the bright side you'll have some tasty left overs to bring for lunch. Enjoy.