Good bye to the Friday after Thanksgiving

upschuck

I wonder if this will affect PT inside employees. I figure since UPS is making it a regular operating day, that they will run the regular sort(s).
Before, those(inside) that came into work, would only get straight time because they were considered Air Support employees, now they have to give them double time(according to supplement) because it is a "regular" day.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
BY who?

this isnt something that is put up for the membership. If this is true, it would have had to have been approved by the IBT and not the membership.

TOS.
My message came across wrong. As has been stated ups could make us work all the holidays they want. What's in the contract is how we will be paid for those days.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Really doesn't come as any surprise. The company does whatever they damn well please. Look at the last 2 contracts. They have completely revamped the union culture in most buildings. They forced most of the older drivers out and now they have the young runners who are thrilled to make $15 an hour for four years. In a few years we will be delivering on Sunday just like the post office started doing.
15 an hour for 4 years? Exaggerate much?

Sent using BrownCafe App

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
My message came across wrong. As has been stated ups could make us work all the holidays they want. What's in the contract is how we will be paid for those days.

IN the press release, UPS indicates that we will be paid holiday pay on that friday. It will be something to carry around a ton of packages that cant be delivered because of closures.

TOS.

WESLA

It is what it is
Upsers complaining about having to work the day after thanksgiving and make double time. Meanwhile most of America is just trying to make ends meet.

Go ahead and buy gifts for the angel tree this Christmas to make you feel good about yourself.

oldngray

nowhere special
The day after Thanksgiving was the only day most UPS employees could have a day off when government employees worked. Almost all other businesses except retail are closed that day and after that Friday its no rest until after peak (if even then). While people who whined about UPS getting a day off as they are sitting home with their families on Christmas Eve.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Upsers complaining about having to work the day after thanksgiving and make double time. Meanwhile most of America is just trying to make ends meet.

Go ahead and buy gifts for the angel tree this Christmas to make you feel good about yourself.

Where do you see double time?

Its time and a half all day, there will be no 8 hours paid holiday.

TOS.

PT Car Washer

Not everyone was paid double time plus Holiday pay. Only drivers. Everyone else was considered Air support and was paid straight time.

oldngray

nowhere special
Not everyone was paid double time plus Holiday pay. Only drivers. Everyone else was considered Air support and was paid straight time.

In my center all drivers got time and a half plus Holiday, not double time plus Holiday pay. And for several years if drivers volunteered to work it was only straight time plus Holiday ( while at the same time it was time and a half plus Holiday if they were forced to work).

AKupser

Ice Queen (Elsa)
Here's my delima, I asked for a flouter on that Friday and was denied, my sup said it was double dipping. Anyone else run across this situation? Also open to all comments.

oldngray

nowhere special
Here's my delima, I asked for a flouter on that Friday and was denied, my sup said it was double dipping. Anyone else run across this situation? Also open to all comments.

Your sup sounds correct. Since its a paid holiday you can't also collect for a paid day off. They can force you to come in and work for OT in addition to holiday pay though.

steward71

Just got the word tonight that the Friday after Thanksgiving is now not a holiday and that it has become a normal working day. Our contract isn't even settled yet. Did you guys in the Nation lose this holiday?
Ok you are a steward and ask this question, then turn around in another reply state your supervisors got it in a an email. God help the ones you rep.

Overpaid Union Thug

I'm anxious to see how dispatches will be that day. For me (when I've actually been able to work) black Friday has always been the easiest day of the year and at triple time. If the purpose of this decision is really to clear out volume for peak then you'd think we'd end up with a bunch of residential heavy routes and use anyone that isn't on vacation. But I predict that routes will be cut to make up for some of the holiday pay. This could be a rough day for those that work. At least the pay will be so good.

Sent using BrownCafe App

100LowLead

First I've heard of it, but I personally would be all for moving that working holiday to MLK day.

As a service company and with last year's holiday fallout, working fully that day would be in all of our best interests.

Do you really think that'll be the only thing they take?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Our local supplement has that day as a holiday (177), so no worries here.
Doesn't mean you won't work it. Just means you will get holiday pay.

I don't see this making much difference for Monday. If we make pick ups on Friday it could be even heavier on Monday. This was a huge day for me personally. I'm 4+ hours away from family and often don't get to spend Xmas with them. That 4 day weekend was huge because it meant I could always spend at least that one holiday with my parents.