Good bye to the Friday after Thanksgiving

HereWeGoAgain

I find December to be the easiest time of the year, my truck goes out full everyday now! So what get yourself a decent helper and all you do is drive all day. The summer is the true hell.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Almost all drivers that work the Friday after Thanksgiving would love to be off after 3 hours. When you know what December is going to be like with long hours heavy volume and bad weather and more money then you can spend, who needs more hours.
More hours now means less hours later. If I'm going to be here 30yrs, why not average yourself at a higher wage while you're doing it.

QKRSTKR

As a
This is not true.
As a full time time employee, anytime I'm scheduled to work i have 8 hours I'm guaranteed, holiday or not. Better? They can send me home after 3, better bet I'm getting paid for 8.

If this is still untrue please explain.

Last year I worked the Saturday after thanksgiving in feeders. Did 8 stops or so, 11hrs, double time plus holiday pay. Cha Ching. Biggest check I ever brought home.

Inthegame

As a

As a full time time employee, anytime I'm scheduled to work i have 8 hours I'm guaranteed, holiday or not. Better? They can send me home after 3, better bet I'm getting paid for 8.

Last year I worked the Saturday after thanksgiving in feeders. Did 8 stops or so, 11hrs, double time plus holiday pay. Cha Ching. Biggest check I ever brought home.
Saturday after thanksgiving?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

As a

The key word here is "scheduled" and, yes, you are guaranteed 8 hours when you are scheduled to work; however, the days we are talking about here are non-operational days where there is a sign up sheet and you have to request your daily guarantee. If you just sign up without asking for your 8 you will be paid for hours worked.

If you request your 8 and only work 3 they will find something for you to do in the bldg., such as washing pkg cars, to make up the difference.

This is how my building works also. A few will demand there 8 hours so they load them up with savers and 2 day and some pick ups. Last few years I have taken the week of Thanksgiving off to avoid all of this drama.

QKRSTKR

The key word here is "scheduled" and, yes, you are guaranteed 8 hours when you are scheduled to work; however, the days we are talking about here are non-operational days where there is a sign up sheet and you have to request your daily guarantee. If you just sign up without asking for your 8 you will be paid for hours worked.

If you request your 8 and only work 3 they will find something for you to do in the bldg., such as washing pkg cars, to make up the difference.
Copy. But the way this thread has gone it sounds like many drivers will be scheduled to work, therefore they will be guaranteed 8. Yes, if you sign up you have to request 8.

QKRSTKR

Saturday after thanksgiving?
Friday night Saturday morning?
No. I work nights so I got off work thanksgiving morning. Was off all day Friday and worked Saturday morning started at 8 a.m. I believe. Did a few turns to CPU account and did turns to the rail yard. Was paid all double time since it was considered 6th day. I thought day after thanksgiving in packages was a joke. That was by far the easiest day I ever had at ups. For $60 plus an hour.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Copy. But the way this thread has gone it sounds like many drivers will be scheduled to work, therefore they will be guaranteed 8. Yes, if you sign up you have to request 8.

The day is a regular day with everyone who is scheduled to work guaranteed their 8 hours. I would be surprised if they will honor 8 hour requests as that day will be pretty heavy.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

Depends, on your supplemental language.

No. I work nights so I got off work thanksgiving morning. Was off all day Friday and worked Saturday morning started at 8 a.m. I believe. Did a few turns to CPU account and did turns to the rail yard. Was paid all double time since it was considered 6th day.

Double time.... for a 6th punch ??

It's usually, time and 1/2.... double time for a 7th punch.

I would be surprised if they will honor 8 hour requests as that day will be pretty heavy.
Number 1 their Is no 8 hour days, November and December! Number 2. What OP IS TRYING TO SAY , you will now be guarnteed 8 hours pay! Not time worked!

In the Central Region, 8-Hr requests are good until the following Monday.

Also, anytime you are "put to work", you are entitled to your guarantee....

Without having to ask for it.

-Bug-

HULKAMANIA

We have in the contract how many holidays we are to be paid this year. UPS could not change that part.

Unless you are in a massive retail area, it will be an easy day with most businesses schools, colleges closed. My heaviest daily pickup is always open that day so they will be happy and the only wrinkle that I foresee is if helpers will still be used.

All in all, that bulked-out Monday we've been used to the past few years after the 4 day weekend should be relieved.

No offense but no it wont. They will just see less volume and cut routes.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
I honestly ( maybe stupidly) , think ups has seen error in its ways in dealing with people's Christmas gifts. They can not, and will not let another disaster of a holiday happen, hence all the new ft job bids up. Christmas 2014 will be different from all past peak seasons. Mark my words.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I honestly ( maybe stupidly) , think ups has seen error in its ways in dealing with people's Christmas gifts. They can not, and will not let another disaster of a holiday happen, hence all the new ft job bids up. Christmas 2014 will be different from all past peak seasons. Mark my words.
Yep we will have more volume than ever before.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
That will suck for low seniority drivers then, much like EVERY other Black Friday I've worked in 20 years. Nothing changes

Unfortunately, the problem won't rely in UPS's eagerness to add routes, it will be on facilities having the room for the extra routes and volume.