Got a call about becoming a cover driver

Penguin

A while back, I signed a bid sheet for cover driver. Human resources just called me and the person I talked to seemed to be begging me to say yes to being added to the bid sheets. :mellow: It seemed really strange and I got the impression they are realllllly short cover drivers.

Do any of you know how the cover driver thing works exactly? Does it affect your seniority and what sort you work? It pays better, right?

swing_drv

If you have the time, then I would do it. Lots of good learning experience. Plus when you get hired full time you won't have to worry about the 30 day probation period.

brownrodster

A while back, I signed a bid sheet for cover driver. Human resources just called me and the person I talked to seemed to be begging me to say yes to being added to the bid sheets. :mellow: It seemed really strange and I got the impression they are realllllly short cover drivers.

Do any of you know how the cover driver thing works exactly? Does it affect your seniority and what sort you work? It pays better, right?

It depends. Are you with UPS because you want to be a driver someday? Do you currently have a day job?

If you want to be a driver someday then hell yes give it a shot.

jethro

I'm not sure what you all consider a" cover driver" but I've been a cover driver for 8 years now. I'm full time, work every day. I cover 25 plus different routes. The advantage to being a "cover driver" is when I feel like biding a route I will know what most of them are like before hand. And in our district we do not get more pay.

brownrodster

I'm not sure what you all consider a" cover driver" but I've been a cover driver for 8 years now. I'm full time, work every day. I cover 25 plus different routes. The advantage to being a "cover driver" is when I feel like biding a route I will know what most of them are like before hand. And in our district we do not get more pay.

In some supplements there are part time cover drivers. They work their pt sort but drive some days when the center doesn't have enough drivers. I assume this is what he is talking about.

Overpaid Union Thug

In some supplements there are part time cover drivers. They work their pt sort but drive some days when the center doesn't have enough drivers. I assume this is what he is talking about.

I'm one of those guys. We are supposed to be used to fill in for vacations and excessive call ins. The problem is that UPS is using many of us year round. If we are needed that badly then UPS should have to put us on full-time. Our steward, like many others, tried to push this issue by saying management was using us to supplement the full-time drivers. It worked but the new jobs were taken down last month along with the 22.3s just like everywhere else in the country. It is rediculous. Since peak there has only been one week that I didn't drive at least 3 days and I'm not even the highest seniority p-t cover driver.

brownrodster

Know this guy who cover drives everyday. Claims he makes $23 an hour starting out.:mellow:

I dont' know about 23 but around here if you do air driving before you become FT driver you're starting wage is higher than people without the air driving experience.

govols019

You smell that?
Know this guy who cover drives everyday. Claims he makes $23 an hour starting out.:mellow:

If he is a part-time cover driver then that it true. They make 85% of top rate.

When they go full time they stay at the rate, plus contractual raises, until they hit top rate in 30 months.