Got a position out in the yard, have some questions

Super 9

Hi, I got hired back in November to work out in the yard as a "skid cleaner". Basically I just clean out empty trailers of pallets and trash after they were just finished being unloaded. I was originally seasonal but now being kept on. I want to stay for the benefits but just wondering if I could eventually move up in the company just as the people inside can, like if I wanted to be a package car driver or something would I still be able to? Or do I need to be inside doing package operations to be able to move up to something like that?

Nimnim

The Nim
You can certainly move up, you gain seniority with your "outside" position just like the "inside" people do. You still have to compete with the people inside though, it's not 2 sets of seniority bidding for the "outside" and "inside" people. You're all in the same PT seniority pool.

Nimnim

The Nim
He is an "inside" employee. "outside" is outside the gate i.e opertaing a package car

At least at my location they classify shifting in the yard, and I believe car wash as "outside" at least in terms of 22.3 outside/inside or inside/outside. So it's not a big jump logically for me to go from someone working in the yard shifting to someone cleaning the trailers in the yard as both "outside" positions.

Super 9

Ok thanks everyone, I'm aware of the seniority part but just wanted to make sure I could still possibly move up in the future if I stay outside in the yard. My position title officially is Car Washer actually but I don't drive the package cars.