Got a shot at driving. Question about my options.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Man, HR is SLOW! He confirmed that my pay rate during school would be my hub rate, and let me know the location, but they still haven't scheduled my test. I'm getting anxious!
I believe it varies by supplement. Here it is a flat $100 per day during driver school.

aggieODC

Should be doing my test next week.

So, a quick question about how my days will go being a TCD.

My HR rep just transferred in from another hub, so he wasn't sure how to answer me. I live about 30 minutes from the hub. In the mornings traffic is going to kill me if I wait until someone calls me to drive. Aside from working preload, what are my options for reporting in daily and then working elsewhere in the hub if I'm not needed? I'm assuming that way I would be available for anything that came up later in the day. Maybe air exception?

I'm crunching numbers and thinking that if I drove 2 full days a week, worked maybe day sort and then my ODC job the other 3, and pick up Saturday air, I can leave my current job and my stress level should plummet. I can handle hard work for good money. I stress out about hard work and no paycheck. (Duh).

PT Car Washer

Should be doing my test next week.

So, a quick question about how my days will go being a TCD.

My HR rep just transferred in from another hub, so he wasn't sure how to answer me. I live about 30 minutes from the hub. In the mornings traffic is going to kill me if I wait until someone calls me to drive. Aside from working preload, what are my options for reporting in daily and then working elsewhere in the hub if I'm not needed? I'm assuming that way I would be available for anything that came up later in the day. Maybe air exception?

I'm crunching numbers and thinking that if I drove 2 full days a week, worked maybe day sort and then my ODC job the other 3, and pick up Saturday air, I can leave my current job and my stress level should plummet. I can handle hard work for good money. I stress out about hard work and no paycheck. (Duh).
You sure are doing a lot of figuring. Now do you have the seniority to back it up? TCD work is by seniority. Air exception work is by seniority. Working Saturday Air is by seniority. Working the preload and or the Day sort and keeping your ODC job again would be by seniority. If you can't work your ODC job everyday you most likely will be replaced. A TCD is a part time job and not a short cut to FT.

aggieODC

Thanks for the reply.

I have spoken to my supervisor and she is happy with my work and wants to keep me. She said I can come in any day that I am not driving.

I passed on the Saturday Air bid to get the TCD and have been told by drivers on our air dock that Saturday Air is always neeeded. There were only a handful of us that actually bid. I've only been "permanant" since January, so I have VERY little seniority. I still was called on both bids. I also know that they constantly put out bid sheets for extra sort work, all shifts, and car wash and day clerk. 3rd time this year that lists have been out.

I know that I'm doing a lot of calculating. I'm an accountant by trade (and diploma). That's what I know. I fully expect to be disappointed in the amount of time I spend driving. But I will take any and every opportunity given to me to get behind the wheel. I'm just asking if I would get any extra opportunities by actually going in every day and showing up, and then if I would be able to pick up a day shift if missed.

I'm a very optimistic and faithful person. This is all new to me and I'm really enjoying the ride. I'll keep updating.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
They may not call you for weeks. Just work your 630 to 1030 job every night. You would be available to work at 830am to drive.

aggieODC

Just a quick update. Delays after delays, and I'm rescheduled to take my road test Thursday morning. Hoping all goes well and they let me go to school.

I'll update after!

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
when I first started I jumped on every opportunity that came up. some people tried to discourage me or tried to scare me with all the pitfalls of the job or said I wouldn't be working more than a couple days a week.

it only took a short time for me to be working 50 plus hours a week. I'm glad I stuck it out. I tell everyone to stick it out and they will be glad they did.

ive had several drivers thank me a couple years down the road for the encouragement.

aggieODC

I'll thank you right now for the encouragement!

when I first started I jumped on every opportunity that came up. some people tried to discourage me or tried to scare me with all the pitfalls of the job or said I wouldn't be working more than a couple days a week.

it only took a short time for me to be working 50 plus hours a week. I'm glad I stuck it out. I tell everyone to stick it out and they will be glad they did.

ive had several drivers thank me a couple years down the road for the encouragement.

aggieODC

Well, another delay. I drove in to the hub through a pretty nasty storm knowing very well that there was a good chance they would cancel. I sat inside HR for around an hour with another guy before they finally told us that things had been cancelled. It was raining last night and all morning. Forecast has shown 100% rain all week. I think they should have maybe given us a heads up. Oh well. They are going to try to get a truck for Saturday.

I fully understand that there are reasons to not do a road test in the rain, so I wasn't all that surprised.

They did give us a date for school if we pass the test. So, that's good.

Updates when I have them.

aggieODC

Tried again this morning. Waited 2 hours and then was told they were out of trucks and that the supervisors were all out on the road. HR rep said they really needed us to go to class on Monday and they were going to try again for tomorrow or Saturday. So.... waiting for a call.

aggieODC

Finally got my road test in this morning. Things went well and they passed me. Got my physical and DOT card. School will be on the 13th or 20th. Back to studying. Thanks for the support!