Got a shot at driving. Question about my options.

FlaccidEgo

Going to school in the morning. Wish me luck!

Also going to driving school next week. My HR rep told me they'd be putting me up in a hotel to save me the 3 hour round trip daily but I heard nothing more about it, oh well I will be claiming that mileage back!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Also going to driving school next week. My HR rep told me they'd be putting me up in a hotel to save me the 3 hour round trip daily but I heard nothing more about it, oh well I will be claiming that mileage back!

When I went to driving school, they put us up, two to a room, in a local hotel and paid mileage from center to center, not from your home to the center. We also got a $10/day meal per diem.

FlaccidEgo

When I went to driving school, they put us up, two to a room, in a local hotel and paid mileage from center to center, not from your home to the center. We also got a $10/day meal per diem.

Still waiting on any further info. I know it's not the end of the world but I wish there had been more communication

FlaccidEgo

The HR rep at the training location confirmed that no expenses are covered whatsoever. No hotel, no per diem, no mileage. Sucks that they implement these cost cutting measures but obviously that's how UPS stays on top. Either way the promise of earning $33 an hour in 4 years time more than makes up for it (if indeed that wasn't more bull:censored2:)

aggieODC

I don't think they have that here in TX. Just a trip to another hub.

Day 1 went really well. We get to go see the preloaded trucks in the morning and do the morning checklist and all. Spent a lot of time studying and it paid off. Only missed one word on the written today. Hoping to keep that up.

FlaccidEgo

Passed the test today and finished all my modules so I am officially qualified to drive. Instead of going back to training tomorrow will get an extra day's observation ride. I have delivery experience before UPS so I could relate to a lot of it when I went on my first observation ride yesterday, which overall took about 10 hours, but wearing the long pants (no UPS socks provided) certainly made it tough in the heat.

Anthonysg0113

Passed the test today and finished all my modules so I am officially qualified to drive. Instead of going back to training tomorrow will get an extra day's observation ride. I have delivery experience before UPS so I could relate to a lot of it when I went on my first observation ride yesterday, which overall took about 10 hours, but wearing the long pants (no UPS socks provided) certainly made it tough in the heat.
Nor will they provide socks.

aggieODC

Kicked butt at school! Scored perfectly on all my writtens the rest of the week and had the fastest verbal my instructor had seen. He was an OG driver/center manager. I got assigned to the center I was hoping for. Actually the same center where ODC runs in my hub, so that may make things easier on me as I have the same manager.

I'm going to go in early tonight and shake hands and see what the game plan is. I already have socks and I'm supposed to have shorts and some of the summer shirts on Wednesday or Thursday.

I'm really surprised (but maybe I shouldn't be) at some of the guys that passed the course. I feared for my life in the back of the training truck.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Kicked butt at school! Scored perfectly on all my writtens the rest of the week and had the fastest verbal my instructor had seen. He was an OG driver/center manager. I got assigned to the center I was hoping for. Actually the same center where ODC runs in my hub, so that may make things easier on me as I have the same manager.

I'm going to go in early tonight and shake hands and see what the game plan is. I already have socks and I'm supposed to have shorts and some of the summer shirts on Wednesday or Thursday.

I'm really surprised (but maybe I shouldn't be) at some of the guys that passed the course. I feared for my life in the back of the training truck.
What you learned at school is gonna have very little to do with learning the job.

Prepare to be humbled.

Welcome to Hell. Please keep your arms and legs inside the ride,for your own personal safety.

FlaccidEgo

What you learned at school is gonna have very little to do with learning the job.

Prepare to be humbled.

One thing I learned from my observation rides, don't rush - they are watching your every move and will give you more work to do! My driver was all set to leave at 5pm for vacation when at 4:30 he got a call to do some extra pickups for another (slower) driver. And don't expect any favors from management or other drivers in return for doing that extra work!

One thing I learned from my observation rides, don't rush - they are watching your every move and will give you more work to do! My driver was all set to leave at 5pm for vacation when at 4:30 he got a call to do some extra pickups for another (slower) driver. And don't expect any favors from management or other drivers in return for doing that extra work!
If you don't rush during your 30 days. They will DQ you.

aggieODC

Oh man. No need to be humbled. I fully expect to be overwhelmed and scared to death. But I know what's at stake. I want to be excellent at this and will put in the effort.

Prepare to be humbled.