Government Motors

bbsam

Staff member
What is it about Palin that scares them :censored2:less? :) By the way your demeaning approach KTE is something your side just doesn't get. I'd rather have kitchen table economics than BHO theatrics....:)

Because KTE ignores the unintended consequences and in so doing puts the intended consequences further from being achieved. To view world wide macro-economics as simply KTE on a bigger scale fails miserably. In KTE if you cut up the credit card and tighten the belt, in time you are out of debt and doing better financially. In macro you cut up the credit card and unemployment spikes. You let entire industries fail (yes, due to bad management) and unemployment goes even higher. All the while the Chinese are watching their investment in America tank. Add to that a sudden knee-jerk trade war with the Chinese due to their unfair practices and guess what? China no longer sees the US as an indispensible trading partner, and calls in the debt. It's not like they haven't been investing all over the world anyway. Maybe America is no longer a good investment. Palin scary? Absolutely not. Palin as Chairman of the Federal Reserve would in 24 hours sing a completely different tune. If one thing is true, the seats of power in this country temper ideology. Those running the world economy are not going to let Obama, Palin, Moreluck, Wk, bbsam, buddy, or any other wannabe ruin what they have going. If that means bailing out banks and auto industries, then that's what they will do. But I doubt it entails trade wars between two economic giants.

bbsam

Staff member
Wk--Your defense of Moreluck is too simple. "...if you cover bad choices, you are only going to get more bad choices...." Simply not always true. Take the housing market. We are still covering bad choices but I think banking is getting back to sounder principles. It's part of the reason the economy is taking longer to recover. Banks are careful where they invest. Used to be mortgages didn't need proof of income, down payment, or even a long term commitment. Banks are making better decisions. GM and Chrysler? Last I knew they were paying the money back, stream-lining and becoming competitive again. I understand the anger, but to say that the American economy would be better now if GM and Chrysler just went belly-up? That's a stretch and one that I suspect would depend upon a completely different reality (truly free markets) than the one we have.

I am about as much a caveman as one can find when it comes to energy. I want it all. I want nuke plants, solar farms, wind farms, oil wells, natural gas fracking, coal burning plants, and I want them in abundance. And if the nation has to invest billions to get trillions in return, I'm all for it. That, however, requires a big picture thinking that I'm not sures can exist in a country hooked on oil and looking toward "drill, baby drill" as an energy policy.

klein

Für Meno :)
bbdsm, Mr Fedex :

Just give it up, arguing with hypercrites !
They blame Obama for not creating jobs, and on the other hand, blame him for saving 1 Mill plus jobs in the auto manufacturing sector.

Canada put their fair share in rescuing them. Not only federaly, but also the province of Ontario.
I don't think the state of Michigan did, but how can they if they are broke, like most other US states ?

If anyone should be complaing saving American companies, it should be us up north. However you won't hear that here.
Since, we focus on jobs and the economy. Besides, it looks like it was a great wise investment to make.

Same as in Germany, they also helped out Opel (GM made vehicle in Germany).
It came sooooo close that it almost became Canadian owned.
However, the Opel employees immediatly setteld for less money, and the Germans bought more Opels then ever to keep the company alive.
And Opel came right back on track, and was no longer for sale.

The rightwing Americans on the other hand, boycott GM and Chrsyler products.
They know what's best for job growth they claim. - So, they rather buy imports - makes a lot of sense, eh ? - NOT !!!

Just imagine if the right wingers had their way, and let the whole American auto sector vanish.
Those hardcore rednecks would be looking pretty good, in a Toyoto or Nissan pick-up truck now, wouldn't they ?
Remember, Ford would have shut their doors, too, because the whole auto supply industry couldn't and wouldn't survive without the other 2 major players.
That's why Ford was for the bail out !

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Car & Driver issue of April 2011, page20
Domestic Bliss
> A look at what's " Made In America"

2010 North American Automobile Production
Canada 2,084,911
Mexico 2,319,594
USA 7,806,394

Assembly Plants;
Canada 24
Mexico 23
USA 117

Vehicles;
Canada ;
Acura mdx
Acura zdx
Honda Civic
Chrysler 300
Dodge Challenger
Dodge Charger
Toyota Corolla
Toyota Matrix
Lexus Rx350
Chevrolet Equinox
GMC Terrain
Ford Edge
Lincoln MKX
Ford Flex
Lincoln MKT
Chevrolet Camaro
Chevrolet Impala
Ford Crown Victory
Mercury Grand Marquis
Lincoln TownCar
Chrysler Town & Country
Dodge Grand Caravan
Volkswagen Routan
Toyota Rav4

Mexico;
Nissan Sentra
Versa
Ford Fiesta
Fusion
Honda CR-V
Mercury Milan
Lincoln MKZ
Volkswagen Jetta
Jetta Sportswagen
New Beetle
New Beetle Cabriolet
Chevrolet Aveo
HHR
Avalance
Silverado
Dodge Ram
1500/2500/3500/4500/5500
Cadillac SRX
Escalade EXT
GMC Sierra
Toyota Tacoma
Dodge Journey
Fiat 500

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Architectural Digest reports Al Gore and Leonardo DiCaprio are among the first in line to receive the new $96,000 Fisker Karma plug-in hybrid sports car. This vehicle features 400 horsepower, 0 to 60 mph in 5.9 seconds, "eco-friendly" leather seating, and your choice of oak, mahogany, or walnut inlays. AD reports this "fantasy car" was only possible due to $529 million in "stimulus money" courtesy of the Obama administration and US taxpayers.
fisker-karma.jpg
The preposterous toy comes with a solar panel in the roof

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Architectural Digest reports Al Gore and Leonardo DiCaprio are among the first in line to receive the new $96,000 Fisker Karma plug-in hybrid sports car. This vehicle features 400 horsepower, 0 to 60 mph in 5.9 seconds, "eco-friendly" leather seating, and your choice of oak, mahogany, or walnut inlays. AD reports this "fantasy car" was only possible due to $529 million in "stimulus money" courtesy of the Obama administration and US taxpayers.
fisker-karma.jpg
The preposterous toy comes with a solar panel in the roof

I'll use "Trickle Down Theory" so you can understand it in Reaganesque terms, OK? Someday, we're no longer going to have enough oil for our needs, so there is a pressing need to invent and create new and more efficient technologies. The Fisker is a niche car for the rich and famous. No doubt, Leo and Al can smugly drive around in an eco-car that most of us could never dream of affording. That's phony, and self-serving, but investing in new technology is smart, and then we won't have to deal with those pesky Muslims any more. They can keep their oil, and the price will go way down along with demand.

But, improving hybrid and electric technology will eventually find it's way into Joe Average's car, much in the way that military technology and R&D has found it's way into the private sector and eventually to the wider consumer mass market. You can drive your 3-ton SUV forever if you can afford it, because I'm not advocating that the government choose your vehicle for you. Eventually, however, you might have to park your Hummer because you simply cannot afford to drive it on gas that is 6 or 7 dollars per gallon, a price that Europeans have been paying for awhile now. Guess why they favor small cars.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
"then we won't have to deal with those pesky Muslims any more."
According to known oil reserves , today , we have more oil . Due to misguided policies we don't tap those reserves.
If this government REALLY wanted to we could be keeping all that wasted money in America, instead of overseas.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Fuel-electric Car [SIZE=+1]in[/SIZE] 1929

A combination gasoline and electric car with no clutch or gears to shift, and capable [SIZE=+1]of[/SIZE] quick pick-up and fast speed on hills has just been delivered to Col. E. H. K. Green at his South Dartmouth, Massachusetts, estate.
Source: Literary Digest - October 5, 1929

In 1900 the steam car was broadly superior and even managed to hold absolute land speed records.
The steam car does have advantages, although most of these are now less important than in its heyday. The engine (excluding the boiler) is smaller and lighter than an internal combustion engine. It is also better suited to the speed and torque characteristics of the axle, thus avoiding the need for the heavy and complex transmission required for an internal combustion engine. The car is also quieter, even without a silencer.

Lue C Fur

Evil member
So did Toyota get stimulas money to develop the Prius?

GM stock is at 32.40 a share...IPO price was 34.00 bucks...we need 53.00 a share to break even...good investment.

Anyone read the reviews of the new Chevy Cruze....LOL

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
So did Toyota get stimulas money to develop the Prius?

GM stock is at 32.40 a share...IPO price was 34.00 bucks...we need 53.00 a share to break even...good investment.

Anyone read the reviews of the new Chevy Cruze....LOL

Toyota and all of the Japanese car companies work cooperatively with the Japanese government through MITI, a governmental agency that coordinates and assists manufacturers and suppliers in a relationship called a zaibatsu. Toyota undoubtedly received government assistance to develop the Prius. The Chevy Cruze just finished 4th in a Car and Driver comparison test (May issue) out of 5 cars. It was beaten by the Mazda 3, Ford Focus and Hyundai Elantra, but was very close in terms of overall score. It's a good car.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Toyota and all of the Japanese car companies work cooperatively with the Japanese government through MITI, a governmental agency that coordinates and assists manufacturers and suppliers in a relationship called a zaibatsu. Toyota undoubtedly received government assistance to develop the Prius. The Chevy Cruze just finished 4th in a Car and Driver comparison test (May issue) out of 5 cars. It was beaten by the Mazda 3, Ford Focus and Hyundai Elantra, but was very close in terms of overall score. It's a good car.
In case you haven't noticed, there was a big upset in Japan affecting Toyota and all parts makers and car makers. Nobody is working coopertively, they are just trying to survive.

wkmac

Wk--Your defense of Moreluck is too simple. "...if you cover bad choices, you are only going to get more bad choices...." Simply not always true. Take the housing market. We are still covering bad choices but I think banking is getting back to sounder principles. It's part of the reason the economy is taking longer to recover. Banks are careful where they invest. Used to be mortgages didn't need proof of income, down payment, or even a long term commitment. Banks are making better decisions. GM and Chrysler? Last I knew they were paying the money back, stream-lining and becoming competitive again. I understand the anger, but to say that the American economy would be better now if GM and Chrysler just went belly-up? That's a stretch and one that I suspect would depend upon a completely different reality (truly free markets) than the one we have.

I am about as much a caveman as one can find when it comes to energy. I want it all. I want nuke plants, solar farms, wind farms, oil wells, natural gas fracking, coal burning plants, and I want them in abundance. And if the nation has to invest billions to get trillions in return, I'm all for it. That, however, requires a big picture thinking that I'm not sures can exist in a country hooked on oil and looking toward "drill, baby drill" as an energy policy.

We'll just agree to disagree as it relates to the purpose and role of the state but moreso from my POV that there is no divine or undivine right for any man to rule over another in such fashion. And to confiscate at the point of a gun someone's property (you can gloss it by using the benign fiction taxation) to give to others on the belief that this benefits the larger, greater good is morally and ethically wrong on all counts. I'm certain the slave owners back in the day made all kinds of grand excuses of the greater good to maintain slavery and strip the slave of his labor all for that greater good too!

It's wrong to con and exploit the poor not because they are poor but because all manner of con and exploitation are wrong. Wealth transfer to the rich because of bad behavior and poor choices doesn't mean those who defend it are not at the heart, theives and immoral themselves. Yep, I stand by that statement too!

wkmac

Are bbsam and mrfedex one in the same ???

Hmmmmm....let me see.....well....thinking, thinking, thinking......
!

Only if Dannyboy and Tieguy are the same also!

:rofl:

I've been a good boy for a long time so I figure I'm due at least one transgression!
BTW: Susie sez hey!
:wink2:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
In case you haven't noticed, there was a big upset in Japan affecting Toyota and all parts makers and car makers. Nobody is working coopertively, they are just trying to survive.

They are probably working more cooperatively than ever following the tsunami to get everything back on-line. Japan is also a homogenous society, quite unlike the USA. If we'd had an equal disaster, there would be mass chaos because we are spoiled brats in comparison to the Japanese. I realize that the Right thinks we should bring-back the Stanley Steamer and lead-acid battery technology, or maybe even horses, but technology has advanced significantly since the 20's.