Government Motors

Lue C Fur

Evil member
Toyota and all of the Japanese car companies work cooperatively with the Japanese government through MITI, a governmental agency that coordinates and assists manufacturers and suppliers in a relationship called a zaibatsu. Toyota undoubtedly received government assistance to develop the Prius. So if this is true then why is the Prius a better car and sells cheaper than the Volt? Why would our govt have to give a 7500.00 carrot to buy a Volt?

The Chevy Cruze just finished 4th in a Car and Driver comparison test (May issue) out of 5 cars. It was beaten by the Mazda 3, Ford Focus and Hyundai Elantra, but was very close in terms of overall score. It's a good car. Really? 4th place for a new car is good? The Mazda is a few years old and beat the Cruze...would you choose the Cruze over the 3 other cars that beat it? Is this the best that govt motors can do?

They are probably working more cooperatively than ever following the tsunami to get everything back on-line. Japan is also a homogenous society, quite unlike the USA. If we'd had an equal disaster, there would be mass chaos because we are spoiled brats in comparison to the Japanese. I realize that the Right thinks we should bring-back the Stanley Steamer and lead-acid battery technology, or maybe even horses, but technology has advanced significantly since the 20's.
This country might not survive a disaster equal to what Japan is going through. However, we can't forget Katrina as mild in comparison as it was. That was a pretty big deal.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

The Car and Driver test had the cars separated by just a few points. The Focus won, and the Mazda was second. The Volt is a pure-electric car, while the Prius remains a hybrid, although there are a few plug-in Priuse's out there. I believe that both Ford and Nissan used licensed versions of Toyota's Hybrid-Synergy drive. As bbsam said, government R&D/military spending eventually finds it's way to the private sector, where both the consumer and industry get something out of the deal.

For the record, I only buy Japanese vehicles (except for my pickup) because they are ultra-reliable and last a long time. American cars are getting to be almost as good, although IMO, they aren't quite there yet. You can't blame the government or the unions for the problems in the US car industry, although they're part of the problem. For a long time, we built crap cars that nobody wanted. They weren't well-made, reliable, or up to date with the competition. That is finally changing. Ford seems to have the right idea, and they did it without the government.

Sorry, the volt is not total electric.
From the official Volt web site :

Say hello to the Volt, Chevrolet's new electric vehicle that can use gas (but only if you need to). The Volt will take you wherever you need to go whether it's to the corner store or a long-distance road trip. Check out the video to get an overview of the Volt from the minds behind its creation.

bbsam

Staff member
We'll just agree to disagree as it relates to the purpose and role of the state but moreso from my POV that there is no divine or undivine right for any man to rule over another in such fashion. And to confiscate at the point of a gun someone's property (you can gloss it by using the benign fiction taxation) to give to others on the belief that this benefits the larger, greater good is morally and ethically wrong on all counts. I'm certain the slave owners back in the day made all kinds of grand excuses of the greater good to maintain slavery and strip the slave of his labor all for that greater good too!

It's wrong to con and exploit the poor not because they are poor but because all manner of con and exploitation are wrong. Wealth transfer to the rich because of bad behavior and poor choices doesn't mean those who defend it are not at the heart, theives and immoral themselves. Yep, I stand by that statement too!

Then we should lock ourselves up. From the Wall Street executive to the part-time Walmart supervisor. All are immoral and thieves of man's labor and vampires of prosperity to enrich themselves. Again, show me the society where such strata of "haves" and "have nots" do not exist. Utopia is next to Never Never Land.

brett636

Its hard to get people to buy their cars when the steering wheels are coming off of the chevy cruze and the volt is prone to catching fire. I'm glad my taxpayer money went to them!

klein

Für Meno :)
If you guys really want GM to falter, just vote in Trump.
Since he'll add 25% tarif on all chinese goods, I'm sure the chinese will do the same for American goods.

GM and Ford (probably Chrsyler, too) have China as their largest consumer !
Germany would just love that with their Mercedes, Beamers and Audis being cheaper to buy in China then any US car !

moreluck

golden ticket member
GM (General Motors) is already gone........in most people's minds. I used to love GM products and own 2 chevy products myself.......but they are no longer in business.
They should've been allowed to fade out because they didn't operate their company right. They mis-judged the market and were spread too thin instead of concentrating on what they did well.....trucks & SUVs.

Lue C Fur

Evil member
If you guys really want GM to falter, just vote in Trump.
Since he'll add 25% tarif on all chinese goods, I'm sure the chinese will do the same for American goods.

GM and Ford (probably Chrsyler, too) have China as their largest consumer !
Germany would just love that with their Mercedes, Beamers and Audis being cheaper to buy in China then any US car !

Why would i want GM to falter? My tax dollars bailed them out. The point is that they are still doing the same things that got them into trouble. They should be doing so much better after a massive restructuring. I would not buy any of the cars when there are so much better ones out there.

klein

Für Meno :)
Why would i want GM to falter? My tax dollars bailed them out. The point is that they are still doing the same things that got them into trouble. They should be doing so much better after a massive restructuring. I would not buy any of the cars when there are so much better ones out there.

Well, maybe you should find out, why the GM IPOs are falling.
Maybe just because the Treasury today annouced to sell a lot , starting in May and ending in October ?
Besides, you guys always say it's your money. So far, no one has paid for it, besides adding it to the debt. On the other hand, you got a nice tax cut, instead, and even a 1 time government stimulus check. (of course none of that has been paid for either).

US Treasury could sell GM shares in summer or fall

From ReutersApril 19, 2011

Reuters (New York) - The U.S. Treasury could sell a big chunk of its remaining 33 percent stake in General Motors Co in the summer or fall, a person with knowledge of the matter said on Monday, although doing so may lead to more losses for it on the automaker's bailout.

Lue C Fur

Evil member
Well, maybe you should find out, why the GM IPOs are falling. Its one IPO and its their stock price. Its failed because they offer to many incentives to sell their cars which cuts into profit margins and brings the resale values down. Also their cars are not getting rave reviews like Ford and other car compaines.
Maybe just because the Treasury today annouced to sell a lot , starting in May and ending in October ? I brought this up months ago that our gooberment was planning on selling some shares at a loss...again it needs to get to 53.00 a share to break even.
Besides, you guys always say it's your money. I pay taxes so it is my money...duh. So far, no one has paid for it, besides adding it to the debt. On the other hand, you got a nice tax cut, instead, and even a 1 time government stimulus check. (of course none of that has been paid for either). Stay on topic...this is about Goverment motors...not getting tax cuts, etc. Goverment Motors continues to build crap and their share price is below the IPO price.

US Treasury could sell GM shares in summer or fall

From ReutersApril 19, 2011

Reuters (New York) - The U.S. Treasury could sell a big chunk of its remaining 33 percent stake in General Motors Co in the summer or fall, a person with knowledge of the matter said on Monday, although doing so may lead to more losses for it on the automaker's bailout.

wkmac

The Obama administration, and its media backers, have seized upon news that General Motors made a $3.2 billion profit in the first quarter of 2011 as proof positive that its auto bailout is a success. President Obama is so buoyed that he is reportedly planning to make the bailout a major part of his reelection campaign.
But by this standard, Charlie Sheen’s comedy tour ought to be declared a smash hit. Sheen’s backers will lose relatively less money on him than taxpayers will on the bailout.
No sooner had GM made its announcement than Washington Post columnist E.J. Dionne dashed off a stinging rebuke to naysayers (like me) who had dared doubt the wisdom of the bailout. Likewise, the auto czar Ron Bloom credited the turnaround to the president’s “tough love” approach.
No doubt, $3.2 billion is a big number. But an even bigger number is $60 billion. That’s what this administration and the last one together sank into GM (not to mention another $20 billion or so they dumped into Chrysler). When President Obama gave GM this money, he insisted that it was not a handout but an “investment” that would cost taxpayers “not a dime.”
But if there was ever any doubt that this wasn’t going to happen, this earning report dispels it.
General Motors Will Never Repay Taxpayers

moreluck

golden ticket member
GM's way of pay back is like many private citizen's methods.........Get a new Visa to pay off your old Visa and now your original Visa bill is paid off !!! Not really!

Lue C Fur

Evil member
Thanks for the link WK. I have been saying this from the begining that we will never get our money back from GM. When our gooberment announced they would sell shares below the 53.00 break even point i knew that was the nail in the coffin. Today the shares are at 30.82 well below the IPO price. Now the question will be...will the main stream media let the tax payers know this or will they sweep in under a rug as not to tarnish the Messiah image?