GPS in the future?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
That's been there for a long time. I actually compared it once to a USGS benchmark on my route once and it was right on the money.

I saw a local bakery delivery man with a hand held device that looked just like my DIAD?
Could UPS be corning the market on handheld GPS devices?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I saw a local bakery delivery man with a hand held device that looked just like my DIAD?
Could UPS be corning the market on handheld GPS devices?

I don't remember who makes it (I retired last May), but the DIAD V is a generic device customized for each user through software. Nothing more than a small hand-held computer.

Does it have a GPS chip? Obviously.

Could it provide turn-by-turn directions? Absolutely, with the proper software upgrade/activation.

It's coming folks.

BrownChoice

Next time you clock in (assuming you're a package car driver or someone who uses a DIAD), go to the communication screen and hit the #8 (even though it isn't a menu option) and realize that UPS knows where you are down to 7 GPS decimal points at any given time.

At this point realize that what you fear or anticipate to be the future, has already happened.

They will most certainly expand GPS technology for reason much bigger than drivers in the blind.
UPS, along with the USPS, will most likely sell their findings to the rest of the industry.

Yes, i know the Diad has GPS, and it'll even tell what streets are close by to the one your next stop is.

I haven't ever actually looked at the comm. #8... Im gonna check that out.

Now does the gps actually track your whereabouts? Or is that just the package car?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Yes, i know the Diad has GPS, and it'll even tell what streets are close by to the one your next stop is.

I haven't ever actually looked at the comm. #8... Im gonna check that out.

Now does the gps actually track your whereabouts? Or is that just the package car?

The DIAD tells you what streets are close by DOL, not GPS.
It's coming though.

Last edited:

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Just as an aside, we recently had an innocent bystander killed in a high-speed police pursuit here in town. The officer was (allegedly) doing 100+ in a 35mph zone and hit the poor guy's car.

All the comments in the local paper were questioning how his actual speed was determined. I don't think that any of them realize that every car with OBD II records all the vehicle parameters for a certain time before an event.

But, we already know all about telematics.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Just as an aside, we recently had an innocent bystander killed in a high-speed police pursuit here in town. The officer was (allegedly) doing 100+ in a 35mph zone and hit the poor guy's car.

All the comments in the local paper were questioning how his actual speed was determined. I don't think that any of them realize that every car with OBD II records all the vehicle parameters for a certain time before an event.

But, we already know all about telematics.

I've seen it first hand, in print.

Keep this in mind people: when "they" ask you a question, know for sure either way, "they" think that they already know the correct answer.

Choose your answers wisely.

Ouch

Hey cosmo have they done that where you are where it is a gps unit like a Tom tom. I may be wrong but i think the op is talking about a gps that attaches to the windshield and gives you directions like a Tom tom. I haven't heard of those, just curious.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
How does the telematics report its information back to the center for the managers' lovely reports?
Some information is sent from the diad over cellular during the day. Some doesn't get downloaded until you put your diad in the slot at night.

Sent from Nexus 7 using BrownCafe mobile app

BrownChoice

I've seen it first hand, in print.

Keep this in mind people: when "they" ask you a question, know for sure either way, "they" think that they already know the correct answer.

Choose your answers wisely.

Along with choosing your answers wisely, you should probably have a steward with you or let em know about the Weingarten rights..

Dragon

Package Center Manager
On my telematics report I can view/print out GPS coordinates.

ODSe tells me where you are, I do not mean what stops and pick ups you have. I filter it to show just your route, I then can see where you are between stops, its priceless.

Its been stated before: Work like you are being watched...because you are!

bbsam

Staff member
When you say "GPS", I think some of you have an antiquated idea of what possibly is being considered. The ones we had in peak had all the stops downloaded into it in sequence. I agree that the toughest part of learning a route is often entry points. 80% of that could be learned in a couple days. The spoken turn by turns would be a God send to new drivers. And wouldn't even apply to more experienced drivers. Just the savings in training time by on-roads would justify the cost savings. We got ours off Amazon for about $70 a piece.