GPS in the future?

CharleyHustle

if you are saying that GPS is not perfect, correct. If you are saying it has no place in package car delivery, I don't think that's the case.

I'm saying that GPS doesn't have all the answers. And will only have some answers the first few times you run a route. Used all the time it will become a crutch that eventually very well may cost time and service. Just like any new toys, UPS pays for them by expecting more production, it is the amount of packages to deliver in the time allotted that new hires struggle with, not finding their way around.

Box Ox

Installing GPS units might open UPS up to more distracted driver lawsuits from accident victims. Guess we'll see what happens with the lawsuit against Uber and its driver who hit a family in a San Francisco crosswalk. It's strange that Uber's million dollar insurance policy only applies when there's a passenger in the car since the driver has to be looking at his/her device to view and locate new passengers.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechcon...42/is-uber-responible-for-driver-recklessness

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
When you say "GPS", I think some of you have an antiquated idea of what possibly is being considered. The ones we had in peak had all the stops downloaded into it in sequence. I agree that the toughest part of learning a route is often entry points. 80% of that could be learned in a couple days. The spoken turn by turns would be a God send to new drivers. And wouldn't even apply to more experienced drivers. Just the savings in training time by on-roads would justify the cost savings. We got ours off Amazon for about $70 a piece.
So were they prime? Did ups deliver them? :)

Mack Grant

We've been told several times it is a light sensor and not a camera. They are only in the new monitors.
This is correct. We have lots of the newer monitors (flat screen) in cars here and you can change many options from the menu on it. It automatically adjusts to ambient light. One of the newest cars, the turbo diesel "euro van" has a color LCD monitor.

Climbingtheladder

With the company trying to simplify the driver job, does anyone on BC think they will implement gps in package cars in the future?

It seems that could take care of the problem of going out on routes cold, but havent thought of how they would implement it with all the data and now ORION..

Thoughts?
They